Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to the site and to smokers....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome to The Pit from Las Vegas.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit from South Carolina. The guys (and women) on this form are extremely nice and helpful to newbies. They are full of information and don't ever make you feel stupid for asking. Tried Huskee rub (very good) and Simon and Garfunkel rub (out of this world good!). Read the sub-forums and soon the whole neighborhood will be at you door everytime they smell smoke!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        True Dat!!! ;-)) I cain't go out n' have a cig without a crowd startin t' gather, anymore...;-)

Verdez, Welcome to "The Pit"! You are Now Enrolled in the BBQ Univ.! Attendance and Participation are Mandatory! Enjoy "The Pit"!
      You are going to find Many Good Folks willing to Share, Just Ask! For Your PBC, You might want to Seek Posts by fzxdoc, Kathryn can build a Smoke in a PBC that will last a Month! Spinaker and Several Others along with David Parrish & the Moderators Huskee, Jerod Broussard, fuzzydaddy and CandySueQ Good Folks One and All!
      Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Welcome Verdez! As those mentioned above, Meathhead's Memphis Dust is excellent! Also, one we use for competitions is Plowboys Yardbird, can get it on Amazon, some outdoor stores in my area carry it too.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!!! For the chicken, Cook it hot and fast. Before you do...... dry brine the bird the day before the cook. Sprinkle with kosher salt and a little bit of baking powder. Then place in the fridge on an elevated tray, uncovered, overnight.

The next day, the bird's skin will look very tight and dried out. This is what you want of bite-through crispy skin. Then mix up some Simon and Garfunkel rub. (this stuff is unbelievably good! Recipe is in the link below.) Add the rub to a bowl and add about a tablespoon of oil. This will make the rub into a paste. Then apply the paste to the bird, both under and over the top of the skin. Finally, put some butter slices under the skin. Now your ready to cook.

Cook on your smoker/grill at 375 F to 425 F. Then cook to 165 F in the breast. This article will give you some very good directions. My method is an adaptation of this original recipe.

Good Luck and let us see some pictures of your cook! Do this first.......then we can move onto mastering that brisket!!

Comment

Damn, thank you everyone for the welcome! Appreciate it.

I didn't come back to the pit until right now. Otherwise I probably would've tried spinakers suggestions. I will try that next time, thanks bud.

So I usually pull the chicken once I've smoked it and just discard the skin. My kids (6 yrs, 8 yrs, and 11 yrs) just like pulled chicken. But I'm going to try to do some cracklin's next time, but also want to try to dry out the skin in the fridge as suggested.

With these chickens I'm smoking right now, I just spread salt all over one of them and let sit for 2-3 hours. The other one I marinated in some "chicken sauce" from Nickels BBq from upstate NY. I have had it sitting in my pantry forever and wanted to use it. The other I kind of just wanted to see what it would taste like with just salt and nothing else.

Normally I just spread the PBC all purpose on the chickens. ANd it comes out great. I've figured out ribs finallya nd they come out great on the PBC. I will conquer chicken and then move to brisket.

I appreciate all the welcomes and look forward to talking with you all! Thanks again...

Comment

Ed - I live in Madison, about 30 mins up 95 from New Haven, right by the water. But my wife was born in Danbury!

Fuzzy - I will get to the homework asap! Thanks

Huskee - will def try your rub, always looking to try new stuff, thanks.

Comment

LAporkbutt - i'm not sure what it was, but will def get the top o the line next time, thank you

Comment

Welcome to the pit!

Brisket was my biggest bbq challenge but now I cook it with confidence. I follow Meathead's directions almost to the T. http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html and the Big Bad Beef Rub is amazing.

My Brisket used to be decent but not Texas worthy. The simplest and most expensive way to make great brisket is to purchase prime grade or Wagyu brisket. I purchase Wagyu from www.Snakeriverfarms.com and it is expensive. Prime Grade Whole Packers are available at many Costco's. If you have one close by, I would start there. I recently purchased one for $2.99 a lb which is less expensive than Choice at our local meat market or Supermarkets.

Comment

Greetings from a fellow noob (to The Pit anyway) out in KC. Don't get discouraged on the brisket brother, it kicked my keester up around my ears the first few times I tried it too. You're already ahead of the game using a Pit Barrel Cooker. If you haven't already done so, pro tip - do a search for "Texas Crutch" here on the forum, and be sure to use the cooler trick in the video on the PBC website. Put that baby to bed in there for an hour or two, and I'm sure we'all be reading about brisket triumphs from you in no time! :-D

Happy Smoking,

G

Comment

Dirt - thank you. I'm going to start at Costco for the brisket

gdsim - thanks bud, will do!

trying to get some pics of the chicken on here, but not working yet

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here