Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greetings from Colorado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings from Colorado

My name is Mark Thomas and I currently live in a Suburb North of Denver CO, and lived in Nebraska, California, and Arizona over the last 48 years. I have grown up grilling and smoking learning mostly from my father, and my own experimenting throughout the years.

About 10 years ago I started getting more serious about smoking and have tried a lot of techniques including building a smoker out or two terracotta pots and a hot plate. I had medeocor success, in my opinion, with family and friends being nice and saying it was good, but I knew better.

Then a couple of years ago I found amazingribs.com and it changed my BBQ life. With a minor in Physics I was extremely excited to find someone that explained the Physics behind BBQ, combined with Meathead's comprehensive explanations and Dr. Blonders experiments it just clicked for me.

I was cooking on a Weber kettle, so it was simple to apply this new found knowledge and test some of the principles that culminated in some of the best BBQ I have ever produced. Now with this new found passion I am smoking sometimes two or three times a week, so I needed a cooker for the winter. I picked up a Vision Kamado grill from Costco, that I named "The Big Brown Avocado" that has not let me down. I have smoked in below zero temp quite often with this cooker. It's great, but it's just not big enough.

This last year I have been working on my "Flavor Profile" and I think I have it down with the help of this website. I have been cooking for fiends and family throughout the year and have been getting real, and believable reviews. I have cooked for parties of these freinds and family with the guests asking if I would cater their events, but that doesn't interest me. I used these parties only to test recipes and techniques. The largest event was for 200 people where I cooked four butts, two briskets, and 24 chicken breasts, and I did this all on my Weber, Vision, and three gas grills. They only way this was possible was with the knowledge obtained from this website and understanding the principles of how meat cooks and how to control the temp. The biggest thing that I have learned so far is that if I can control my heat, and control my meat, I can cook on anything.

I want to start dipping my toe in the competition pool, so I purchase a Lang 60 Offset Smoker, joined this Pit Forum, and Kansas City BBQ Society. I have been practicing and getting ready for the 2015 competition season, so I look forward to interacting with everyone in THE PIT.

I have A LOT to learn!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mark(1).png
Views:	113
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	26651

Pic from a company party where I cooked hamburger (boring), and pulled pork (YeeHaa).
    Attached Files

Good luck competing!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't mind cooking my own burgers, especially since they get done over FIRE. Course my grill grates tame things down some.

Thanks for the support....GREATLY appreciated.

Comment

Hi Mark... welcome! Congrats on the Lang 60! Whew that is big smoker... did you get the trailer mounted one?

Keep us informed on your cooks and exploits... we like LOTs of pics too! Heh heh.

Comment

OH sorry, looking at your avatar, I see you did get the trailer mounted Lang... very nice!

Comment

Hello Mark, Welcome to the pit. I can hear the Lang jingle right now. "your cookin on a Lang"

Comment

Howdy and welcome neighbor! (from a fellow north Denver suburbanite)

Comment

Welcome. I normally like smoking stuff better too, but I reverse seared some burgers tonight and damn they were good, like really good. Smoked em about 40 minutes with some hickory, mixed some cheddar (and jalapeno on a few of em) in with the meat and then seared on grill greats.

Comment

Welcome Mark! Great to hear your story, great intro post!

Next check out Pit Boss' Welcome & Announcements channel, as well as the tips posts in that channel. These will help you learn your way around The Pit, as well as set up your signature. There's also a post that explains the best way to post nice big pics here... we like to see bragging pictures of your equipment and your cooks. We look forward to hearing more from you! Enjoy!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here