Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greetings from the KC Mecca

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings from the KC Mecca

Howdy y'all! Just signed up and wanted to drop a quick line to introduce myself! Chicago "kid" (at 45 years young) living in the suburbs OF the suburbs of KC MO. Running a Pit Barrel Cooker for smoking (had it about a year now so still learning, but loving it so far), a Char-Griller for grilling (I know, I know... all I READ about em is how awful they are, all I KNOW about mine is I've pulled great food off it for ten years now, operator error notwithstanding lol) and a little El Cheapo instant read digital thermometer (from the BBQ supply Mecca Bed Bath and Beyond, but it does everything I need it to do).

I'm partial to KC 'que of course given my location, but nondenominational... I believe great barbecue can be found anywhere in the world, and if you don't try something you're liable to miss something great!

Thanks to everyone I'm going to learn from here, and hopefully I'll be able to help others learn too. Look forward to meeting you all.

Cheers,

Glen

Greetings, Glen ... and welcome to the Pit!

Comment

A hearty welcome from Illinois and I do like your philosophy regarding BBQ.

Comment

• gdsim1
        gdsim1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Traveling the world for the past 25 years or so, you gotta be that way. One example is Carolina - a plate full of YELLOW cue??? LOL Good eats and good memories. :-)

Welcome gdsim1

Comment

Welcome to the Pit, Glen!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit gdsim1! Nice to have you here, thanks for saying hello. Meat tastes good when cooked right, doesn't matter what your ZIP code is...this we all agree on (I think). I've never thought of myself as nondenominational regarding BBQ, but you're absolutely right!

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:
          1. Give us an email address you actually use. You can set or change your email on file with us by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Notifications tab.
          2. Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important to receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Welcome from Indiana...

Comment

gdsim1 Glen, Howdy back atchya, neighbor, from Kansas Territory, out Larryville way!!!
              Welcome to th' Pit, glad yer here!
              Lookin' forward t' learnin' with, an' from ya!

Comment

• gdsim1
                gdsim1 commented
                Editing a comment
                Ahhhhhh, Lawrence! :-D Now I know there's more than KU out there... I'll be sniffing for your smoker next time I'm in town! Thanks for the welcome.

Welcome Glen!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Glen.

Comment

Glen.Welcome to the pit from Southern Illinois.

Comment

• gdsim1
                    gdsim1 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Cool! I've got people out Glen Carbon way! :-)

Welcome to the Pit! Keep cooking and enjoying what you cook. There are plenty of tips here in the Pit, and if they can help you up your game everyone in the Pit will be pleased.

Comment

@jdsim1, Glen, Welcome to "The Pit"! You are Now Enrolled in the BBQ Univ.! Attendance and Participation are Mandatory! Enjoy "The Pit"! I don't want to start an argument off the Get Go YoungFeller but I didn't have a decent Thermometer until I got involved with these Yahoes and "The Pit"! I would suggest that you look at a MK-4 Thermopen Instant Read by ThermoWorks, and Minimum 2-Probe Leave In Thermometer such as the Maverick et 732 or 733! I know my BBQ and Grilling Improved after Nigh on 40 Yrs of Cook'n Without! One area I do agree with You on is your of Pits,
                    It Ain't The Cooker, It's The Cook!
                    Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Danjohnston949 View Post
                      I don't want to start an argument off the Get Go YoungFeller but I didn't have a decent Thermometer until I got involved with these Yahoes and "The Pit"! I would suggest that you look at a MK-4 Thermopen Instant Read by ThermoWorks, and Minimum 2-Probe Leave In Thermometer such as the Maverick et 732 or 733!
                      Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan
                      Oh there'll be no argument Dan... I know I can do better in this department! :-) Got my eye on a couple, but I'm one of those guys who can turn a lump of coal into a diamond if you catch my drift lol. "$100 for a THERMOMETER???" Just haven't quiiiiiite been able to force myself to pull the trigger yet. That day is coming though, it's coming...
                      Last edited by gdsim1; January 24, 2017, 10:40 AM.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
                        Danjohnston949 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Why Hell Son You Should Have Been Born Scottish! A Terrible Afflictions! After taking up Basement Diving on Jan 24 2015, I spent 6 Mo's in a Nursing Home with my iPad! I decided that AR & "The Pit" and the members had some Good Advice!
                        From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Welcome to the Pit from Baltimore, Md! Glad you're here. 😎

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here