Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

David here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will be moving to Florida next year when I retire. Already have the house, bought it when the market was seriously bad.

Comment

Welcome to the pit from Southern Illinois. Smoke on!

Comment

Lets do the Celiac thing and get it out of the way. A lot of this web site has to do with sauces and the like. Many folk put whiskey. bourbon and sometimes beer into these wonderful mixes of delight.

In the last 10 years of being diagnosed with this, I have done a fair amount of research. Gluten is a very large protein and through the distillery (not fermentation like beer) process, gluten is too heavy to follow to the finished product. All this said, I have found that some distilleries add small amounts of mash to the barrels to "even out the flavor," and a few other reasons, then they filter it. The point being, there is only one distillery that tests for gluten and that is Makers Mark - and it IS Gluten Free.

The end result, if you have or know someone with Celiac, don't put bourbon, whiskey, scotch, or regular beer in the sauce. It will make them sick and worse. Ahh, there is that worse thing. For all the folks that enjoy the fad, tell the server that you want gluten free and then eat the rolls and croutons - every time a person that has Celiac eats gluten, their chances of stomach cancer is increased 25% (of which there is no cure). For kids with Autisim, ADD, ADHD, and those other things, they have found that being gluten free is all but required - no, it seriously helps.

So, if you want to spend the money and actually go gluten free - do it for real. For all of the great folks that cook for others - you REALLY need to know this. Gluten is in wheat, barley, and rye - and that includes flour, malt vinegar, and malt (don't laugh, a chef in a dinner once told me there wasn't any wheat in his gravy, just flour).

So, when the doc takes your blood (after you had a couple of beers the night before) and comes back and tells you, "no pizza, beer or donuts," a week before Thanksgiving, there is life - just not at many restaurants.

There, I said it!
        Last edited by dbray45; January 22, 2017, 09:39 AM.

Comment

dbray45, David, Welcome to "The Pit"! You are Now Enrolled in the BBQ Univ!
          Attendance and Participation are Mandatory! Enjoy "The Pit"!
          My Wife (Eunice) has a First Cousin ( a Farmer) who is Diabetic and has Celiac Disease as Well. He once commented that it was much easer to manage the Diabetes than the Celiacs Dietary Wise?
          Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Welcome David, from Louisiana

Comment

Many thanks for the hearty welcome.

Comment

There is an App for your phone that tells you if a product is gluten free - or not by reading the bar code. It is wrong, they try but things change.

Comment

I appreciate you sharing your knowledge and research of Celiac and gluten. It definitely is a world few truly understand and many associate only with fad diets.

For the record, we will limit our discussion of health topics here (what's safe & unsafe) per our Pit Guidelines, since we're a food website not a health website.

Comment

Welcome, David. I think you'll find people to be very helpful and nice around here!

Comment

Welcome to the pit David, Enjoy the Wikipedia of BBQ.

Comment

Thank you Huskee. My rationale was to inform due to being a real issue when going to a BBQ and either not eating anything or being sick. Many "secret" ingredients include soy sauce, beer, malt vinegar and the like. All of these contain gluten and many do not know it. It is wonderful to use these things but if someone asks, please tell them. It is much to not enjoy than to be sick for 3 days.

Comment

It has been a while since I posted - been up to my backside in all kinds of stuff - computers has not been one them. I have more info for those with Celiac disease.

It seems that many wines are not or may not be gluten free. Many wineries do not have their own own coopers and buy their barrels. Most of them use wheat paste to seal them. There are some wineries that use wheat to fine (clarify) the wines. Who knew.

The last I checked, Makers Mark is tested to be gluten free - which makes it the only bourbon that I know of.

Comment

Welcome from north Texas. Have fun on the Pit.

Comment

Glad yer still a member! 🕶

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

• HawkerXP
                                  HawkerXP commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  OOps. Glad to see you back.

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Yes
                              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here