Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Howdy from the Nutmeg State...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kfenster, Welcome to "The Pit"! You are Now Enrolled in the BBQ Univ.! Attendance and Participation are Mandatory! Enjoy "The Pit"!
    Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Welcome Kurt, I went to school in Fairfield, know the Westport area well.

Yes, the fan gizmo thingy's work very well (my experience is with a flame boss 200, love it for low and slow or anytime you need to keep a constant temp). Cook overnight no problem, set it up and walk away. Toughest part is not opening and peeking. You don't NEED to, its just a sickness I suspect many suffer from.

Cold, rainy, snowy? No problem. I did 2 pork butts and the outside temp was around 20 deg overnight. BGE the flame boss and a good load of lump (refreshed once) had no problem with the 20 degrees. Definitely worth looking into...

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        I went to a certain prep school in Fairfield. That Flame Boss looks like a really great BGE helper when you want to get some peaceful sleep!

Welcome to the Pit Kurt

Comment

It really is set it and forget it. Has enough fuel and wireless, I went to Christmas Eve w a boneless ribeye and a whole strip roast were in the egg another town away. Monitored temp and can change remote as well. (See attached). Pulled from egg at 125, 10 mins travel back to Christmas Eve bash. Carryover to about 132. I knew walkin in the kitchen w a bunch I hungry animals waiting that it was med rare. And it was. Cruise control !

My brother is certainly a purist (none of that technology stuff or conveniences to manage temp etc). He gives me a hard time but it does raise an interesting point to ponder (?).

Spend $1k + on an egg or any equivalent Kamado cooker of your choosing.

I opted to add on an adjustable rig and never looked back after getting it. $200

Depending in the model of flame boss or temp controller of our choosing, another $200+

So spend the the money and and enjoy the convenience and benefits of Set it and forget it? What do others think? I too like messing w my cooker and spend more time out there then I need to. But I don't always want to and don't always have the time.

I do know how to operate the vents and can control any temp on the egg. I have no problem w cruise control but brother Jeff questions my manhood. (Doesn't seem to have any problem inhaling what comes out of the cruise control machine).

Obtw, strip roast and boneless ribeye dry brined two days. Then a paste of garlic (I use stuff out of big jar, lots of it) salt, oil, capers, olives - - any of that kind of stuff. Quick zip in the food processor and that went on 2 well seared slabs. Those pieces sat in the egg while the temp came down to 325 until desired temp.

Oh, I use royal oak charcoal. Very happy w it, and have regular availability at Walmart and Home Depot.
        Attached Files

Comment

My attitude is that I'm very open to the idea (except that I just blew my annual budget on a KBQ). That comes from having one time had the tragedy of having to toss a butt from the fire going out overnight. I hate that kind of waste.

Comment

Welcome to the pit Kurt, it is a great community. Enjoy the Wikipedia of BBQ.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here