Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking forward to getting up to speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking forward to getting up to speed

Hello everyone. I'm Rod and I live in Port Moody, BC (just outside Vancouver). I've always enjoyed outdoor cooking but after browsing this site it would seem that my knowledge to date can only be described as "primitive". That said, I'm looking forward to my BBQ journey. My situation is a good news/bad news one. First the good news - my kid has moved out (saving me serious $$$ in groceries) and my wife and I have downsized to a condo (huge covered deck so I can cook year round). The bad news is that I'm only allowed gas or electric tools of the trade. No charcoal allowed.

Presently I have a 3 burner Weber gas grill and a Bradley smoker. I'm on this site daily looking for tips (digital thermometer is enroute) and Grill Grates will be next as soon as I measure up the specs. If anyone has some other ideas that might be helpful I'm all ears.

Cheers,

Welcome from Indiana

Comment

I'm sorry to hear you can't burn charcoal. Are you on an upper floor?

Comment

• rodkeary
        rodkeary commented
        Editing a comment
        It is indeed the top floor.

Welcome to the Pit! I understand that some in your situation have successfully argued for the the use of pellet smokers. You might want to look into that if you have a gas/electric aversion.

Comment

• rodkeary
        rodkeary commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. I'll keep that idea in my hip pocket should I need it. I don't want to rock the boat with the new neighbours just yet. I might just have to invite them over for dinner once I brush up on my skills.

• smokinfatties
        smokinfatties commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree! If no charcoal is allowed I would go pellet.

• MBMorgan
        MBMorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        The successful argument for pellet poopers in apartments, condos, etc., seems to have been something like "See? It plugs in so it's really an electric ... and no open flames".

Welcome rodkeary

Comment

rodkeary ,There are folks here who make some pretty tasty food with gassers and with electric smokers, so don't discount them.

I love using my gasser for most of my non-smoker cooks. Easy peasy. I also have two amazing smokers that use charcoal. Before I got my smokers, I used to do briskets, butts, etc all the time on my gasser, following Meathead's instructions for setting a gas grill up for smoking. Gas grills are pretty versatile, is what I'm saying. Grill Grates are a lifesaver for a gasser--no flareups. Good call on getting those ordered.

You might want to look into using the A-Maze-N tube for more smoke flavor, if that's what you're looking for. I use it in my gasser when I smoke salmon because I don't want to get fish oils onto the walls of my smokers. Works pretty good.

Some folks here amp up the smoke flavor in their electric or gas smokers by using a piece of charcoal, as I recall, or with the A-Maze-N tube. Here's a topic that discusses some of that:

and here's another comment about smoke flavor in a Bradley:

You'll find lots more info using the Search function.

Welcome to The Pit! You sure come from a beautiful part of the continent.

Kathryn

Comment

• rodkeary
          rodkeary commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks. It's nice to know the gasser can be used for smoking as well. I'll spend some time tonight taking a look at Meathead's instructions.

• MBMorgan
          MBMorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          Kathryn is 100% correct. With a little extra effort, I managed to put out some really excellent smoked ribs, chickens, ducks, etc., on my gasser before I got a PBC. Here's one discussion of how it's done: http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...ill_setup.html

Welcome to the Pit! There are still things to be learned for gas cookers.

Comment

A hearty welcome from Illinois.

Comment

rodkeary, Welcome to "The Pit"! You are Now Enrolled in the BBQ Univ.! Attendance and Participation are Mandatory! Enjoy "The Pit"!
            If There is a Wiil There is a Way! BBQ'rs Unite We will Not Be Descriminated Against!
            Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Welcome to The Pit rodkeary! Thanks for joining!

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:
              1. Give us an email address you actually use. You can set or change your email on file with us by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Notifications tab.
              2. Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important to receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Welcome to the group, Rod!

Comment

A Hearty WELCOME, Eh!, from Connecticut Rod!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here