Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello im MacGuffin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello im MacGuffin

Hi all. My Name is Jay, but you can call me Mac or MacGuffin. Ive been a reader of the site for many years now, tries several of the recipes and have always enjoyed being around here. So, for the last several years I've been considering buying a second grill/smoker. I currently have a 10 year old Weber Silver (they did not call them Genesis Silver when I got mine), and its still going strong. But, I wanted more versatility. I've been torn for a while between buying a WSM or a Kettle. Seemed to me that the kettle was more versatile, but for smoking the WSM of tough to beat. But a little more $ than i wanted to spend for versatility. Then, I ran across the PK and was intrigued. Same $ as the WSM, though, so I filed it for later.

So, yesterday, I ran across a PK on craigslist for a reasonable price. I jumped on it! I'm now the owner of a PK-and wondering what I need to get to bring it to specs. By that I mean, aside from the raised grates, what do I need? I'm thinking a thermometer, should I go digital or do the metal one PK is selling, and if I do that, where to mount? I think digital...

Second, should I do an ember basket? And do I really need to keep the ember/coal grate? Seems like a lot of the internet videos I've been devouring the last day or two omit the lower grate.

Third, what do I need or should want that I don't know I want or need? My vision is to smoke ribs/chicken/pork roasts mostly with it, jerk with it as well (I'm in south florida-jerk is all around. BTW_anyone know where to get pimento wood chunks?) but occasionally use it for direct heat cooks.

Oh, and last, cleaning it. I know I'm probably being too OCD but part of the attraction for me is the color. I like the retro silver, and kind of want it to stay looking like that.

Any other tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated! And TY Meathead-I dig your style!

Welcome MacGuffin

Comment

Greetings, Mac ... and welcome to the pit!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! My advice would be to cook on it for a few months, and you will have a better feel for what you want or need. You probably can't afford all of the recommendation that will come out of the Pit.

Comment

• MacGuffin
          MacGuffin commented
          Editing a comment
          Good advice-I'm sure my goals will change after living with the PK for a few months. The one thing I notice right away is that I would like the grill to stand taller. Might end up raising the stand up about 6 inches to a foot so I'm not bending down to it.

MacGuffin Welcome! I would go with digital. A two probe leave-in. Probe for meat, and probe for pit temp. A Maverick 732, or Thermoworks Smoke. I have used both and loved them. Also, a good instant-read thermometer. Pit temp probe about 1" above grate level.

Comment

• MacGuffin
          MacGuffin commented
          Editing a comment
          what about the thermoworks mini with the grill temp probe to start? I kind of like that design, seems simple and I am a simple minded guy. And I can always add to it as I go.

• Lowjiber
          Lowjiber commented
          Editing a comment
          I have the Smoke and a Maverick 733 (2 channel). The 733 has a bit more range than the Smoke, but the Smoke dominates in every other category. The 733 is much more difficult to set temps than the Smoke... that's a "show stopper" for me.

• Thunder77
          Thunder77 commented
          Editing a comment
          I'll have to look up the mini. The Smoke is very simple and user friendly. I mention the Maverick because of price. Bif you want simple, Maverick is not.

A hearty welcome from Illinois.

Comment

Welcome from Nebraska, Mac!

Comment

Welcome from Indiana

Comment

Welcome to The Pit MacGuffin! We’re glad you joined! I'll second getting a digital thermometer with a probe for air and one for meat, and a handheld digital/instant-read. Mounted bi-metal dial thermometers are usually inaccurate and not at grate level where the food is. In case you haven't seen it, here's our Thermometer page.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:
              1. Give us an email address you actually use. You can set or change your email on file with us by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Notifications tab.
              2. Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important to receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!
              Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

If you go with a ThermoWorks unit that uses the Pro-Series probes, the ChefAlarm for example (or DOT or Smoke), their Needle Probe reads in 3-5 seconds so it can double as a meat probe and an instant read.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit from Las Vegas.

I commented on the Maverick vs. Smoke in a post above.

Comment

• MacGuffin
                    MacGuffin commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Saw that and think you turned my opinion. Think it's the smoke for me thx!

Howdy an' good mornin', MacGuffin !!! Welcome to th' Pit!
                  Nice score, gettin' a PK offa CL!!! I know you'll enjoy that cooker, learnin' its intricacies will be fun!!!
                  Remember, we all wants pics!!!!

Comment

• MacGuffin
                    MacGuffin commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeah, I couldn't be happier with it right now. Lol my main problem is that my friends and family do t know anything about it so it's no fun to brag to them!

• Mr. Bones
                    Mr. Bones commented
                    Editing a comment
                    No need t' brag, plus, nobody likes t' hear that....

Let yer food do alla th' talkin'...

Then, you'll have their full attention. ;-)

Enjoy yer PK, and keep us posted. I want one more than ya could ever know....

• EdF
                    EdF commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Mr. Bones has got it right - as usual!

Welcome to The Pit Mac.

Comment

MacGuffin, Welcome to "The Pit"! You are Now Enrolled in the BBQ Univ.! Attendance and Participation are Mandatory! Enjoy "The Pit"!
                    I would recommend the Maverick 732 or 733 as a choice for Leave In Thrmometer do to Price. I would recommend the MK-4 Thermopen by Thermoworks for an Instant Read Thermometer! I have the Classic but the MK-4's Features makes the the additional cost affordable!
                    Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

OK so I just clicked order on a Smoke and an RT600C. Thought hard about the ThermoPop, but couldn't see much difference between the two and I likes the idea of the longer probe with the RT600C. Cant justify spending the extra $80 for the Thermopen right now. But, from what I've read, they go on sale semi-often so maybe I will spring for one down the road. Gonna clean the grill and do a first cook this weekend-either smoked chicken or ribs, or maybe one of each! lol. Will post pics, and thanks for the sound advice-especially you ILowJiber. You swung me to the Smoke.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here