Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tomcat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tomcat

Returning new electric smoker (Christmas gift) to Lowe's for a Camp Chef Smoke Vault? A good friend gave me a nice electric smoker for Christmas and I was planning to get a gasser from Camp Chef (24'') after January. I was wondering get if I could put charcoal under the wood chips in the same pan, and would it make a smoke ring? The electric only goes up to 275, but it is "self adjustable temp". Any ideas? I hate to take their gift back cause they thought that was the best smoker they could find. I'mean really grateful for the gift, but can I use charcoal in it successfully? Ideas??

Welcome from Indiana.

As far as a smoke ring goes... Why do you need it? It does nothing to the flavor of the food.

I highly recommend this article from the main AR site: "Mythbusting the Smoke Ring: No Smoke Necessary!"

Here is an exert located near the end of that article:

"Don't use electric smokers. That is partially because the wood smolders at a low temp in electrics, and high temps are required to create the NO and CO. Experts at cooking in electric smokers sometimes add a charcoal briquet as well as wood to create the correct atmospheric conditions for a smoke ring. Some of these briquets actually contain powdered sodium nitrates, which enhance ring formation. But in general, a vigorous charcoal or wood fire at just the right temperature, produces the deepest ring and the best meat."

Comment

• Tomcat
      Tomcat commented
      Editing a comment
      Roger that Nate! I have seen (Dr. Blonder's) diagram of the chemical composition of various fuels, but I don'the know how much additional make-up air flow I would need for the Kidsgsford briquettes. The wood tray must get some but?? Anybody ever try this combo successfully?

• Tomcat
      Tomcat commented
      Editing a comment
      I have used briquettes in my weber style 5 burner gasser with heavy aluminum wrapped wood chips & held at about 225°Friday and have put a thick alum. pan w/ briquettes in to conserve gas, great bark, ring, and residuals infusion. Plenty of intake air though.

• Nate
      Nate commented
      Editing a comment
      Tomcat , I honestly haven't tried it. You may give this thread another day and see if you get anymore answers. If not start a topic under the electric smokers forum with a title named specific to your question about briquettes in an electric smoker and it may grab a few more folks' attention.

A hearty welcome from Illinois.

Comment

• Tomcat
      Tomcat commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Ishweig!!

Welcome Tomcat

Comment

• Tomcat
      Tomcat commented
      Editing a comment
      Glad to be on board...thanks DW

Welcome to the Pit, Tomcat!

Comment

• Tomcat
      Tomcat commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Shane, it's an honor.

• Tomcat
      Tomcat commented
      Editing a comment
      Fine looking bird dogs by the way Shane!

Will do...thanks for the advice Nate!!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! You could always just go ahead and buy yourself the gasser and keep the electric in reserve storage (taking it out when your friend visits, of course) ... ...

Comment

• Tomcat
        Tomcat commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks MB, and thanks for the reinforcement. Kinda had that in mind.

• Tomcat
        Tomcat commented
        Editing a comment
        A belated response. Well...finally returned the electric for an SV 24" Camp Chef. The friend that gave me the electric said he read some feedback and understands...no prob. Gonna season it and smoke my first racks and butt on it this weekend...maybe try a bird too. Thanks for the feedback.

Welcome to The Pit Tomcat! Thanks for the support and nice to have you here!

Although you've been with us for some time (and likely read this dozens of times on others' intros), here's your very own link to the homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:
      1. Give us an email address you actually use. You can set or change your email on file with us by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Notifications tab.
      2. Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important to receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

• Tomcat
        Tomcat commented
        Editing a comment
        Appreciate the help Fuzz. Thanks...and glad to be on board and read some posts on a real site in the real world! A little smoke in the eyes keeps the ground under my feet...

• Tomcat
        Tomcat commented
        Editing a comment
        Thx Fuzzy! Just got my Camp Chef SV 24 a coupla days ago & haven't seasoned it yet. My email for everyone is [email protected]

I am not familiar with the set up of gas smokers. I used to add charcoal and wood to my electric smoker. After a while though, I wanted more. So I got the Pit Barrel Cooker.

If you can take the E-smoker back and get a cash refund, put it towards a PBC. $300 delivered, ready to smoke. If you can't get a cash refund I would encourage you to get the Weber WSM. They sell them at Lowe's. You will have to pay a little bit out of pocket but it's a better smoker, produces better results and will get you more familiar with more traditional BBQ flavors and techniques. There is a short learning curve and after that they can be left for hours to cook.

Just my 2 cents. Welcome to the Pit.

Comment

• Tomcat
        Tomcat commented
        Editing a comment
        10-4...thanks Spinaker! Yeah I wanted a "hanger" for the even convection (and I've heard of the great flavors generated in the "PBC")...shouldn't have let the 'ex move in to share the bills (cutting my losses)? Gonna have to set my vault smoker on my work table! Unless i burn her patio furniture.

Beginning to wonder if this living arrangement with the ex is a good idea! I want to retrofit a commercial LP tank, weld some angle around a cut out lid & some rebar racks inside with a plate in the center, some breather tubes and a thermostat for both sections...set it in the middle of the back yard, but....i better get a lock for my clothes closet first.

Comment

Tomcat Welcome to th' Pit!! Glad yer here!!! Good luck, whichever cooker ya' decide on!

Comment

• Tomcat
          Tomcat commented
          Editing a comment
          Got my SV 24" a couple of days ago...need to seaon it this weekend but i already assembled it...gonna have to test it out this weekend w/ a couple of racks and a pork butt.

Got the Camp Chef SV 24 a coupla days ago...put it together and waiting to season it for this week-end. Glad i could send this reply...thanks buddy!

Comment

Welcome from upstate New York, Tomcat.

Comment

• Tomcat
            Tomcat commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Larry! You guys do much cooking upstate this time of year? Not too cold lately here in the Atlanta suburbs, just a lot of rain & wind lately...probably gonna order a gasket to help seal the door on the SV.
            Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.
            Last edited by Tomcat; May 21, 2017, 05:13 PM.

• LarryO47
            LarryO47 commented
            Editing a comment
            I cook year round here in the great northeast...lol. I have a covered area where my smokers are, so they are out of the elements. I just did some chicken quarters today, as a matter of fact, Tomcat.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here