Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Introduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Introduction

Reside in Alamosa, CO, a town of about 8,000 good folks. Elevation is 7540 feet, which causes some problems grilling and smoking. But with some help from members, maybe I can overcome some of these. I am a retired forester, been smoking for several years but not doing a real good job at it.
    Problem that vexes me most is doing a good job smoking at this elevation. I have initially deduced that I need to use a higher temperature and/or additional time to get good smoked meat. If you think I am missing something else, let me know, please.

Welcome to the Pit from Parker, CO!

Comment

• blrvine
      blrvine commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the welcome. Since you smoke/grill at about 5,000 feet have you encountered any problems with adjusting recommended temps/time there? I use a gas smoker so some can be done in late fall or during the February warm up. Any comments?

A hearty welcome from Illinois.

Comment

Welcome from Indiana.

Comment

Welcome blrvine !!! I'm sure some o' th' high-altitude folks will chime in with tips an' tricks. Enjoy th' Pit, soon yer BBQ will be Rocky Mountain High!

Comment

• blrvine
          blrvine commented
          Editing a comment
          Appreciate the welcome.

Welcome blrvine

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

"Thanks for the welcome. Since you smoke/grill at about 5,000 feet have you encountered any problems with adjusting recommended temps/time there? I use a gas smoker so some can be done in late fall or during the February warm up. Any comments?"

We're actually at 6300 ft here (on the Palmer Divide) and I have never really had to make many altitude-related changes for either grilling (Weber Genesis) or smoking (PBC). I have noticed that cook times do seem to be a bit longer than what sea-level cooks tend to see ... probably due to the lower boiling point of water where we live (200 deg here and probably 198-199 in Alamosa).

About the only situations where I need to tweak times (never temps) are when braising meats (a boiling point issue ... unless using a pressure cooker) or when baking sourdough and other breads (faster proofing/rising due to lower atmospheric pressure).

Comment

• blrvine
              blrvine commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the comments. We boil at about 196 and that's what I was basing my comments on. Grilling (basically steaks and hamburgers) are done about similar times as lower elevations. Therefore, if I am reading you right, I will continue with what I have done but keep better notes.

Welcome to The Pit blrvine! We're glad you joined!

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:
            1. Give us an email address you actually use. You can set or change your email on file with us by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Notifications tab.
            2. Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important to receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

• blrvine
              blrvine commented
              Editing a comment
              Think I have it done. Thanks for the help

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Welcome blrvine! At such high elevations yes water boils at a lower temp as we all know but fats and collagens still render at the same temp. However, because water temps boil lower, this means water in meat will evaporate earlier (at a lower temp) and thus extend cooking times. You're not alone as you know. Meathead has advised cooking at a lower temp at those elevations to prevent excess drying out of the meat during the cook. Try dropping your cooker temp to 215 (or so) next time. Yes it will result in a longer cook but it may turn out a better product.

Comment

• blrvine
                blrvine commented
                Editing a comment
                I'll give that a try. Appreciate the help.

Welcome from Nebraska!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here