Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi from Minnesota, looking to soak up as much knowledge as possible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi from Minnesota, looking to soak up as much knowledge as possible

Hi everyone. Got a link to this site from a friend who does some amazing stuff with his smoker. Wow, does this site have a ton of fantastic information. I have a Weber Genesis and am looking to improve my grilling skills. My daughters think I make a pretty good burger, but I'd really like to do a lot more than burgers, steaks and brats. Was looking for info on thermometers to use inside the grill, as well as hand held. Not sure if I'm going to get a smoker or not, but I have another friend who has a Pit Barrel Cooker and am really interested in getting one of those. I'm thinking checking out the ratings and ordering Meathead's book is a great way to start!

BB

Welcome from Indiana.

As far as thermometers go...

Thermoworks has a cult following around here... The new smoke is a wonderful leave in thermometer with a wireless monitor.
    The Dot or ChefAlarm are use the same kind of probes as the smoker but have to stay put... However you can get an instant read probe for them which makes them good multi purpose thermometers.
    The MK4 Thermapen and the TermaPop are also a couple of great handheld thermometers that cannot be left in the cooker.

The Maverick thermometers are a little less expensive option than the thermoworks smoke and are also leave in wireless thermometers.

In the review tab there is a section for thermometers. I recommend checking it out.

As for PBC.... Have one and LOVE it... They have a cult following here in the Pit. It has a quick learning curve, quality customer service, free shipping, and turns out some dang good food!
    Last edited by Nate; December 30, 2016, 10:47 AM.

Comment

• dbboland
      dbboland commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Nate for the advice! I'll take some time and look over the ratings. I was thinking about a Thermapen for a hand held and Maverick for the leave in. Happy to hear the PBC is well liked. I certainly like what I've seen of it.

• Nate
      Nate commented
      Editing a comment
      dbboland , Thermapen and a Maverick were what a lot folks here had until just recently when Thermoworks finally released the smoke just earlier this year... Fireboard seems to be catching on as the other leave in option.

A hearty welcome from Illinois. There is an army of PBC people on this site. Just go to the sub forum Pit Barrel Cooker and check it out.

Comment

Get a Smoke and a ThermoPen and be done with it.

I have a Maverick 773 wireless, dual-channel. It's fine if you have a masters degree in computer programming... you need one to set the stupid thing. I pre-ordered my Smoke... it's so simple to set that I now have a pet monkey to do it. LOL

Comment

• Shane Rakow
        Shane Rakow commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll second that.

• dbboland
        dbboland commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks lLowjiber and Shane! This is why I joined, to get some friendly advice before making my purchases. Was initially thinking about the Maverick 733 or 735, but will now give some serious consideration to the Smoke. Although I'm pretty sure I will not be purchasing a pet monkey. ;-)

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        I've never been a fan of the screen on the 733, too busy. 732 all the way!

Welcome to the Pit, dbboland!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! If you're interested in the PBC, you should have a look at the local dedicated PBC thread: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...-barrel-cooker

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! It is a great place to ask questions and learn.

Comment

Welcome dbboland

Comment

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Welcome and cheers from Norway

Comment

Welcome to The Pit dbboland! Nice to have you here with us. Lots of great advice form the many experienced and helpful members here.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:
                  1. Give us an email address you actually use. You can set or change your email on file with us by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Notifications tab.
                  2. Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important to receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Welcome aboard dbboland!

Comment

Welcome dbboland from another Minnesotan. Enjoy The Pit!

Comment

Welcome to the pit!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here