Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi - Chris from upstate New York

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi - Chris from upstate New York

Hi everyone- I am Chris and a semi newbie from upstate New York. I have been professionally cooking and baking for a few years and never thought about smoking until I saw my parents try to do it unsuccessfully last year. LOL the process intrigued me so I bought a fairly cheap charcoal/propane vertical smoker and went to town earlier this year on turkeys...they were black with smoke...over done... yucky. Since I hate not to be good at something I started serious research and found this lovely site and learned, well... TONS. My husband, Mr. "I don't cook"- he was caught after the second, better, attempt. We work pretty well- I like to do flavor combinations and he loves fire- it's a match! Since May- we have smoked almost every weekend- in all weather! We have practiced on ribs, of course, brisket, chicken, pork butt, pork belly, meatloaf, bread, venison, pizza dessert- anything I could get my hands on. At this time we have the same small vertical combo smoker, a midsize offset smoker (modified with a baffle system), a weber rotisserie, a weber wood pizza oven, the reg propane grill and are impatiently waiting on our pellet grill to arrive. We are looking into doing some backyard competitions next year in NY- there are about five of them that are offered. I would love to hear any insight from anyone who has done one! I am looking forward to sharing and learning from all of you.
    PS- my kids tell me that when I start talking about smoking- it reminds them of the scene in Forrest Gump where Bubba can't stop telling all the ways that shrimp can be served.. and I do resemble that comment! LOL

Welcome to The Pit ChrisC! What a nice intro! We're happy you found AmazingRibs, and happy to have you here, thank you for the support. You and your husband do sound like a great cooking team. I had only moderate interest in cooking big meals until fire became involved, now I enjoy it much more myself.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:
    1. Give us an email address you actually use. You can set or change your email on file with us by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Notifications tab.
    2. Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important to receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

A hearty welcome from Illinois. Nice funny intro. You have accumulated some gear in only one year "God Bless You".

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Chris.

Comment

Welcome ChrisC

Comment

Greetings Chris ... and welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Howdy from Kansas Territory, ChrisC ! Glad to have you join us here in th' Pit, lot's of great folk, and stuff t' learn! Enjoy!!!

Comment

Welcome from Indiana...

Comment

Hi Chris, Welcome from another newbie here....also from upstate. There are not many of us!!!
                    What pellet smoker did you get?I got my Mak 2 star the other day.
                    Love it, I have sausage smoking right now. Ribs yesterday.
                    I saw you are from Oneonta....I use Brookes BBQ sauce alot!

By my standards though you are downstate!!!! I'm 3.5 hours north of you.
                    My sister is a doc in Delhi.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit ChrisC! We would love to to see some photos of your cooks and cookers!

Comment

• ChrisC
                        ChrisC commented
                        Editing a comment
                        You may be sorry that you said that as I am a food blogger and have LOTS of smoked project pictures! LOL- do you have a forum for pictures or just a new post start? Thanks for the welcome!

Welcome to the pit. Where about in upstate are you. I'm in the lower hudson valley. 1/2 hr outside of the city.

Comment

ChrisC , there are categories, and topics for nearly any kinda' cook imaginable, here.... easy, peasy... post beef, pork, chicken, etc. pics there... if anything seems to defy constraints, there's a category fer that, too.
                        Bring them pitchers on!!!

Comment

Hi, Chris! Welcome from Nebraska!

Comment

ChrisC as Mr. Bones said we have lots of places for topics with pictures. Here's a great post about how to use the various channels. We also have a Show us what you're cooking topic where you can post a recent cook. In the homework assignment post for new members see #4 for a link to picture posting tips.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here