Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greetings and salutations!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings and salutations!

New guy checking in as requested… joined the site about a month ago. I live at 4200’ ASL in the Canadian Rockies, roughly where the British Columbia, Alberta and Montana borders meet.

My current grilling tool is a 25 year old Weber Genesis 3 running on natural gas, along with various accessories like the smoker kit and rotisserie. I’ve had reasonably good, although not particularly consistent success with striploins and small roasts through trial and error over the years. I’ve mostly been using time and gas valve positions, along with copious notes as benchmarks.

In an effort to get a bit more serious, I’ve recently acquired a copy of "Meathead", and a Thermoworks Smoke. Playing with the Smoke, I’ve determined that if I run the front burner on low on the grill, at the current -22°C ambient temp, I can maintain a back grill temp around 240°F so I'm going to attempt a slow cook as an experiment.

Today is first test day. I have a 4 lb dry brined, O’Leary crust rubbed outside round roast ready to go, as well as a handful of Applewood chips and a few bottles of German Riesling.

Yes, I said it. Red meat and white wine. Call me a Philistine, I don’t care. :-)

Once it warms up a bit, I plan to acquire a Green Egg to play with as well.

A hearty welcome from Illinois.

Comment

Welcome to the pit brother from the great white north!

Comment

Welcome Mountain Canuck

Comment

Welcome from Indiana

Comment

Welcome to the Pit from Baltimore, Md! We're glad you're here. 😎

Comment

Welcome! And best of luck with the experiment! That outdoor temp is scary.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Welcome from Florida Mountain Canuck

Comment

Welcome from someone who used to live in Montana, 14 miles from the Canadian border (Northeastern MT - Scobey to be exact). Looking forward to hearing how your experiments in winter turn out.

Comment

Welcome from Nebraska!!

Comment

Welcome, Mountain Canuck !!! Good luck with yer cook, cain't wait t' see pics!!!

Comment

Thanks all. Three hours in and meat is @ 120°F and rising fairly quickly, ambient is up to -8°C with wind and snow.

Shifting from Riesling to whiskey.

Comment

Better not breath too close to the fire those whiskey fumes could make for a fun light show!! what internal temp yo shooting for? 135F? Remember big hunks of meat will have a carry over where the IT (Internal Temp) will continue to rise for 5 to 6 degrees once you take it off and wrap it. sure its going to be great!! Remember Pictures!! (I always forget )

Comment

"Once it warms up a bit, I plan to acquire a Green Egg to play with as well."

What temp are you aiming for? +10 degrees F?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Yes
                              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here