Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from Eastern NC today, tomorrow is Indiana!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Eastern NC today, tomorrow is Indiana!

Where to begin. My name is Neil and I'm 43 years old, married with two children and live in Nashville, NC. Today is officially my last day in NC and tomorrow I am heading out to start a new job and adventure in Bloomington, Indiana. I've lived in NC for over 30 years now and looking forward to a change. I'll be taking eastern NC BBQ with me there. Pig pickin's will be had!

As for my BBQ / Smoking experience, I always grilled on charcoal or gas but never really knew how to smoke. About 6 years ago, I bought this cheap, $69 bullet style charcoal smoker from Lowes. The first thing I ever smoked was a Pork Butt. Man was it horrible!!! I don't remember seeing anywhere in the directions not to keep smoke going on that thing the entire time. I learned a lot from that little smoker, or at least I thought I did, that is until I found this website.

This website was almost responsible for my marriage ending. Just a head's up guys, using the excuse "Because Meathead said so" isn't a good excuse. Using it once was bad, but the second and third time... well, you get the idea. I have a bad habit of when I want something, I go big or go home. Sometimes it works out and other times, well not so much. My first nice smoker purchase was the largest Weber Smokey Mountain cooker I could find. Yup, I got the 22.5" one. More bigger is more better, right??? The fact that I could cook almost 8 racks of ribs, laying flat on that thing didn't seem to be a good reason to my wife either. With that being said, after a smoked turkey for Thanksgiving and a prime rib for Christmas, using the recipes here of course, she saw the light. It was like she was blind all her life and she could finally see! It was glorious. Me on the other hand, why the heck did I have to buy the 22.5" one!?!? It's a beast to maintain temps on that thing at times.

So I used the WMS for a couple of years and it worked great; however, I was working a full time job as a Network Analyst, part time computer repair business, full time daddy and husband, I just didn't have the time to put into using the WMS as much as I would have liked. It takes a good bit of time to do things right on that thing and time was just something I didn't have much of. So, about 4 months ago, I purchased the Camp Chef 24" Vault Smoker - and of course because Meathead said it was a great time to purchase them and it was a great gas smoker at that price. By now my wife wants to meet this Meathead but I told her she couldn't as he was MY friend. I think she is a little jealous but anyway... This gas smoker is fantastic! I did some ribs in it and boy was it easy to cook in and the taste (in my opinion) was just as good. I didn't get any complaints from the ones I was feeding either. My challenge now is to know how much wood to use. I don't want to kill the food with smoke but I don't want to use too little where you can't taste it.

Today, I am going to attempt to smoke two 19lb turkeys in it. Should be an interesting experiment.

Well, that is enough about me for now. I'll let ya know how my turkeys turn out!

Fantastic site Meathead and a great book! Thanks for what you and your other folks here have created!

Welcome Neil!! Good luck on the new adventure. I know a couple who is moving this week also. We went pick up some stuff Tuesday and there was a 53 ft orange trailer being loaded.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit NeilMow! Hello again, and fantastic intro! Great getting to know you. I've done the "Meathead's recipe says..." to my wife before too and as long as it's something my wife's never tried I'm ok...if it's something she already knows how to make, I only get out "Meathe---..." and I get the look. Lol.

Do you still have your WSM? I know you want an easier cook, but man I'd do one turkey in each, then you have no worries about one dripping on another, and you can do a side by side taste test. Even though two cookers will be going, each individual cook will turn out better I think.

Since this is one of your first posts, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:
      1. Give us an email address you actually use. You can set or change your email on file with us by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Notifications tab.
      2. Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important to receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

All the best on your Indiana adventure and welcome aboard. Very nice introduction! Post some pics of those turkeys if you can, and enjoy your meal!

Comment

Happy Thanksgiving, and welcome to the Pit, Neil!

Comment

So, now you have this "imaginary" friend, who happened to write a book & you've been blaming him for all your antics in the smoking world, interesting. Wait til she finds out that you have an incurable disease (MCS) & you have moved closer to "this" friend. By the likes of your cooks & your fearlessness, the double turkey thing is cool, sounds like you will fit in like a glove. Welcome aboard & enjoy the ride!

Oh, and don't forget some pics!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit, Neil! Best of luck with the move and the new job ...

Comment

Welcome to the Pit from Indiana... My wife and I are located about 45 minutes from Bloomington and go there on a fairly regular basis. It will be nice having another person from the area here in the pit. Once you all get settled in maybe we can get some folks, other pit members, and BBQ buddies together for a "Meat Up"! Feel free to message me if you have any questions about the area or whatever.... Safe travels and best of luck on your move.

Comment

Welcome NeilMow

Comment

Wow! What a warm welcome! Thank you.

I just put the birds on. Plenty of room for both!

Nate, I will be working on the Naval base in Crane. We're hoping to build a house somewhere between Crane and Bloomington. We visited the area for the first time a few weeks back and it seems like such a beautiful place. I am really looking forward to it. As for getting together, that would be great! I'll treat ya'll to some eastern NC BBQ!

Pictures will be coming.

Comment

• Nate
                      Nate commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I have some family and friends that work at Crane. Lots of nice places from hilly rolling terrain to flat farm land to small cities.

I think the birds turned out pretty good!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Spectacular! Thank your "friends", but keep in mind you did most of the heavy lifting. Again, spectacular!

Comment

Beautiful

Comment

Welcome to fun in the Pit!

Comment

NeilMow, Welcome to "The Pit"!, You are Now Enrolled in the BBQ Univ.! Attendance and Participation are Mandatory! Enjoy "The Pit"!
                            Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here