Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turkey time in the Sierras...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkey time in the Sierras...

Hi everyone. This is a great web site and I'm happy to be here. My name is Donn (Sierraslick) Mouw and I live part of the time in Alameda, Ca. (the Bay Area) and the rest of the time at my cabin in the Sierras. I'm 66 years old and have been burning meat for at least 45 of those years. Over time I've been through a series of kettle grills, Hibachis and gassers all with best intentions. I wanted to provide some sort of tasty charred meat cooked outside for the pleasure of my family and guests.

At some point about 10 years ago I realized that if I paid more attention I could actually influence the outcome of my grilling in a positive way, so after that epiphany I drank a little less beer and began reading, learning and practicing how to burn meat better.

Then 6 years ago, long after my initial epiphany, I purchased a Big Green Egg and my addiction to real smoking & BBQ really began in earnest. A year later I bought another Egg for my cabin and since then I've expanded my repertoire to include meats, veggies, fruit, bread and pizzas. This site has provided some great information and lots of reasons "why" that I've wondered about. Cheers, Donn

Greetings, Donn ... and welcome to the Pit! Nice intro BTW ...

Comment

Welcome, Donn!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Sierraslick. It's great to have you here and thank you for your support! In case you haven't found it yet, here's our Kamado channel.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members. It contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:
        • Give us an email address you actually use. You can set or change your email on file with us by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Account tab.
        • Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We never spam! This is important to receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

See you around The Pit Donn!

Comment

Welcome Sierraslick

Comment

Welcome Sierraslick / Donn! Nice to have you. I bet your cabin is a beautiful retreat. Great job on your signature.

Comment

Cheers, Donn!

Comment

Welcome aboard Donn. Burning meat, good. Burning that other food, good to. What a wonderful thing, fire & food. Looking forward to your contributions & your further experiments. Enjoy the ride, as you already have.

Comment

Hello - where in the Sierras do you spend your time away from Alameda?

Comment

• Sierraslick
                    Sierraslick commented
                    Editing a comment
                    We have a cabin in Dorrington. Do you know it? Highway 4 East out of Stockton. Headed there tomorrow to BBQ a turkey in the forest as a matter of fact. Enjoy your holiday.

• tbob4
                    tbob4 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes - I used to live in Stockton in the early-mid 1990's. I had mid-week off and would ski at Bear Valley. It was cheap and I had the mountain to myself.

Hey there Sierraslick and welcome to the Pit ... I am from California originally .. born at Sutter Memorial ... my mother's family owned dairy farms in/around Galt and Lodi. I know exactly where Dorrington is. When i watch Sons of Anarchy ... well, let's just say some of my family and friends could be Sons :-)

Comment

• Sierraslick
                    Sierraslick commented
                    Editing a comment
                    When I lived in Pleasant Hill I used to come up here by cutting across the delta just North of Lodi over on Peltier Road and up through San Andreas. I must have driven right through Charming, right?

• ecowper
                    ecowper commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Smack through Charming! A lot of my family lives/lived off Marengo.

• ecowper
                    ecowper commented
                    Editing a comment
                    And I'm reasonably sure if you know Peltier Road, you know where Marengo Road is

Greetings Sierraslick from Sonora!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here