Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi from the most isolated city in the world

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi from the most isolated city in the world

Hi guys,

I am from Perth Western Australia, the most isolated City in the world. I am a coffee roaster by trade but I have spent my life working in cafes and restaurants. Everything from the kitchen, to the floor, to the espresso machine.

In the coffee world there are hundreds of myths and old wife's tales relating to roasting and extracting coffee, which means that I spent a good chunk of my career meticulously testing and disproving them (and sometimes proving them). When I started to learn BBQ I stumbled upon amazingribs.com and was so relieved to find all of that work had already been done.

I love breaking down the science side of anything that I do and as I learn more about chemical changes of a piece of meat I am finding that I can apply that to coffee. Suprisingly meathead is really upping my coffee roasting game. I am hoping that I can also bring some coffee roasting knowledge to barbecuing.

I am new to the pit but have been cooking on my Webber for about 7 years in my backyard and have recently upgraded to an offset stick burner.

Everything I know about BBQ is from this site and from meathead. There is no way I would be at the level I am currently at without this website.

I consider myself somewhat an expert in coffee so if anyone has any questions about coffee hit me up. I am finding coffee is a big part of barbecuing, especially on those 12 hour cooks.

Welcome to the "club"! I really enjoy roasting my own coffee at home, and I think that would be a fascinating job to have. We recently had a thread going about it and some people expressed interest, so maybe you'll get some questions! As far as BBQ goes, you've come to the right place!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit, Santostfm!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit Santostfm I would love to hear some of the coffee myths that you have disproved or proved. I want to start home roasting my own coffee.

Comment

• Santostfm
          Santostfm commented
          Editing a comment
          Also only use specialty grade coffees not commercial grade. This doesn't mean you have to pay a fortune for them. I have had coffees that cost $250 a kg Green that don't taste as good as some $15 a kg coffees.

• Santostfm
          Santostfm commented
          Editing a comment
          In terms of myths ect I need way more than 300 characters to wrtie about them. Once you start roasting message me and I can walk you through how to make a good profile.

• Gooner-que
          Gooner-que commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the information, I look forward to it.

Welcome to the Pit! I've spent quite a lot of time in Oz ... but never made it out to Perth even though it's just a short drive from Melbourne ... ...

Comment

Welcome to the Pit. I am sure some of your knowledge of coffee is transferable to BBQ!! I use some coffee in a few of my rubs too!! happy to have you aboard!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Yay to coffee in rubs, and marinades. We do dat, here.

Welcome!

Comment

Welcome Santostfm

Comment

Welcome to the pit. I thought you were going to say Brazilia when I saw the title of your post.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit. There are a number of Assuies here.

Comment

Welcome aboard! A colleague's wife is from Perth. So much for isolation these days!

Comment

welcome from Indiana

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Santostfm! Nice to get an intro from you! We have a couple coffee threads going, you should jump in when you find them and disprove some myths for us. We're all about busting myths and learning best practice here!

You've probably already seen this before since you're not brand new here, but if not please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:
                      1. Give us an email address you actually use. You can set or change your email on file with us by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Notifications tab.
                      2. Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important to receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Welcome aboard Santo. I've got to think the stfm stands for something else other than your name & Santo just might be your name. You definetly have come to the right place. This site is filled halfway with science geeks. Enjoy the ride!

Comment

Welcome Santostfm!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here