Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New guy, Weber convert reconverted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New guy, Weber convert reconverted

Hello everyone, I just wanted to say thanks for all of the information on the site. It has helped a great deal to someone who just got into this a month or so ago.

Little bit about my setup:

I have had a plain jane Weber kettle for years and my grilling has always been simple direct heat stuff. I pretty much peaked on Ribeye's and this was my go-to for a great BBQ party or dinner for years but I have always loved ribs and I didn't even know you could do a slow and low cook in a Weber.

About a month ago I came across a new (cheap) offset smoker on sale and decided to give it a shot.

In the past 4 weekends I have done 3 brisket flats and 6 racks of loin back ribs. After working out some kinks with rubs and techniques I have settled into some basics using black pepper and salt for the brisket, memphis dust for the ribs, while wrapping the brisket after the stall and the ribs for the last hour.

The one problem is that the off-set is too difficult to control the temp. I am constantly watching it and having to adjust the intake or fuel to keep it at the right temp. I read the article here about off-sets and I know that this particular off-set is not made of the best materials so I am not disappointed, it is just a lot of work I think could be avoided.

After learning more about Weber and indirect methods I decided to pull the trigger on a Weber Performer that I have been eying for months anyway. My old Weber was seeing better days and was pretty much coming apart after well over a decade of use and since I still like doing direct heat BBQs I figured having another grill would just be a good addition to the lineup.

Well that's me... thanks all, this is great website. I especially love all of the research and scientific knowledge you have here, it really makes a lot of this more clear.

My plan is to try and get to where I can use the Weber for smoking but that going to take some studying. My first dry run took some time to get to where I could keep the temp under 250 but the nice thing is that it stayed at 250. Then if I keep this hobby up I will get something next summer that is much better for smoking... after having a chance to save up some coin that is.

Thanks guys,

Nash_boro

p.s. last weekend when I used the Memphis Dust and had a bunch of friends over almost nobody put any sauce on their ribs. I think they thought they were already sauced and they loved them anyway.

Welcome, Nash_Boro ! It sounds like you are already on the path to better cooks. I'm glad you're here with us, and look forward to hearing more about your successes!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! 250 is a perfectly fine temp for smoking. Butts can definitely take it. Since you already have the Weber performer, I would recommend investing in a Slow and Sear. It will make your kettle into a great 2 zone grill, and a fine smoker as well.

Comment

Welcome to the pit Nash. If you want to use your Weber for smoking buy yourself a Slow 'n Sear. It'll turn your Weber into a true smoker while still allowing you to cook over direct heat when you want to. It's a removable accessory that in my opinion should come standard with every Weber sold. Here's a link to the company that makes them.

Comment

Welcome aboard Nash_Boro! Memphis Dust is my favorite for ribs and butts and guests rarely put sauce on when I use it. Hope to see you around the Pit often.

Comment

Welcome from Indiana

Comment

Welcome Nash_Boro

Comment

Welcome to fun in the Pit!

Comment

Hello from Nebraska, Nash_Boro!!

Comment

Welcome, Nash_Boro!

250 is fine. My kettle usually holds between 240 and 250, but sometimes spikes to 275-280.

No worries, though. Try this: put your grill thermometer probe in your home oven, and watch how the temperature fluctuates. If you set your oven to 350, the temp will fluctuate between 300 and 400. But for years, all your roasts and cakes and casseroles and chickens have come out fine, haven't they!

I added a Performer to my BGE, and I couldn't be happier with it. Grill on!

Comment

Slow n Sear!

Comment

Welcome from another new guy. You're gonna like it here.

I'm kinda following your path. I have a WSM, but yesterday ordered a 22" Weber Kettle and the Slow n Sear. Can't wait for the Brown Truck to arrive.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Nash_Boro. We're glad you joined and thank you for your support! I recently lived in Murfreesboro and it's a great area. Congrats on the Weber Performer!

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members. It contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:
                          • Give us an email address you actually use. You can set or change your email on file with us by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Account tab.
                          • Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We never spam! This is important to receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

See you around The Pit!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Nash_Boro, great intro! Thanks for your support here.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! As suggested by others, I strongly suggest you have a look at the Slow 'n Sear ...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Yes
                              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here