Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello all. I am new to smoking and I just purchased a Karubecue to learn.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello all. I am new to smoking and I just purchased a Karubecue to learn.

I just bought my first smoker and I am going to try it out for the first time today! Yesterday I assembled the unit and cut firewood.
    I hope that I can find and share useful info about this smoker on this site. Any tips or advice is welcome.

Thanks!

You went right for the best, eh?

Start with something not too challenging, like some chicken (try max temp), or some ribs, or maybe a chuck roast. And some sausages!

Don't have one, yet, but that's going to change!

Comment

And ... Welcome to the Pit, I guess we all know why we're here ...!

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm guessing by your time of posting that you're on Pacific time. Maybe a tri-tip smoked to 131 or so internal, and then if you can get a grate to put on top of your firebox, sear it on it.

Welcome aboard Doug Rogers! Here's a thread that should be helpful. Post some pics of your first cook. Hope to see you around often!

Comment

Welcome aboard sir! I have one and love it! Whatcha cooking?

The thread that fuzzy linked you to has a lot of info. You can also ask myself, Spinaker Ernest slvance or anyone else on the thread if you have specific questions.

Good luck on that first cook!

Comment

Welcome to the pit!!! And great choice in PITS!! Defiantly check out our KBQ thread. That will have all the information that you need. But please!!!!! Dont hesitate to ask questions thats why we are all here. To share BBQ knowledge. Welcome to the Pit and the KBQ Brotherhood!!!

Comment

Yes!!!! My suggestions:

Cook a lot
            Keep a little log of what you are doing
            Read the great stuff at AmazingRibs.com, and do exactly what Meathead says
            Don't change your recipes much at all in the beginning, that way you can tell it's your technique that is making your food better/worse
            Have lots of fun and invite friends over to enjoy your learnings
            Share your adventures on this thread so we can share in the fun and provide encouragement and tips along the way

Have fun!
            #StickburnersRule

Comment

Welcome Doug Rogers

Comment

Welcome to fun in the Pit!

Comment

Doug Rogers, Welcome to "The Pit"! You are Now Enrolled in the BBQ Univ.! Attendance and Participation are Mandatory! Enjoy " The Pit"!
                  Glad You want to Learn to BBQ! I think You have Aquired a Top Shelf Smoker! I would follow @Spinaker's Lead! Rumor Has It He Hunts Kodiak Bears with a Switch and Smokes them Whole on his KBW?
                  Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Welcome to the addiction! With that awesome smoker I don't think there is chance of recovery.

Comment

Welcome Doug. You are going to have a lot of support and help here in the pit. In the few months I've been here I have learned a TON of information from all of these great guys and gals. Buy the way, any idea what you're next cooker will be?? MCS is just around the corner.

Comment

Originally posted by EdF View Post
                        You went right for the best, eh?
                        No kidding!

Comment

First of all, thanks for the warm welcome. I hope to learn a lot from the people here.

I chose this smoker because of the recommendation on this site. My first attempt is baby back ribs. I watched the video and I am now watching it cook. It looks the the temp variation of this smoker is +/- 10 degrees from the temperature monitor point on the smoker. I am cooking at about 225 for 3-4 hours. I will check it at 3 hours for doneness via the bend test, but I am having fun monitoring the smoker. It's like a mini camp fire in a box.

I will take a picture of the result. I still have 2 more hours of cooking to go.

Comment

• smokinfatties
                            smokinfatties commented
                            Editing a comment
                            The KBQ cooks quick! I would check them at 2-2.5 hours

• carolts
                            carolts commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I've also found that sitting around that "mini camp fire" is one of the best parts of this smoker. A beer, a book and some tunes go great with the KBQ.

Welcome to the pit, enjoy the Wikipedia of BBQ.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here