Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from the NW burbs of Chicago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from the NW burbs of Chicago

Stumbled upon the group when I started doing some research on smoking. I picked up a "Lil Chief II" from someone closing out a sporting goods store about 3 years ago. This is not like the "Lil Chief" as this unit apparently was only made for a year or so. It has a 1000w element so it can really get up there. I have added an Auber PID and that thing is nice. It sat in the shed until one day after going to a BBQ place I thought - man it would be nice to do that on my own smoker. Since August I have smoked about 16 things - pork shoulders, ribs, salmon, beef roasts. It is something to learn that is for sure. This weekend was about the 5th time I have had to tell the wife "Looks like we are ordering pizza" as I am still learning timing. I thru a 10.2lb shoulder on at 4am and when I went to bed at 12:30am it was still sitting at 195. So I set my good 'ol Maverick to go off at 203deg and went to sleep. When I got up for hunting in the morning it was only at 200deg! 26 hours! But boy was it good as I shredded it before leaving for the day. Although my wife was none to happy being woken up early to the smell of pulled pork!

Sorry for rambling - just thought that since I have been a "lurker" for a while I would go ahead and introduce myself.
    Last edited by rmeugene; October 25, 2016, 10:12 AM.

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit. We are happy to have you here.

Comment

Welcome aboard rmeugene! Muchos cool that your wife was "annoyed" at the early morning pulled pork. Wonder what she was dreaming as she woke up? Keep workin hard & enjoy the ride!

Comment

Welcome rmeugene

Comment

Welcome aboard!

Comment

Howdy! Oh, and go Cubs!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit rmeugene! Nice to have you here with us! You may find that when smoking an unwrapped (not crutched) butt, that when it hits ~195 degrees and stays there an hour or so, that it's ready. Pork butts being ready are a factor of both time and temp. If it's been 14, 16, 18hrs and it's still at 195, it's likely perfectly fine to pull off & shred at that point...it might not need to hit 200 or 203 since it's been in the 190s long enough to melt fat & tough connective tissue. I don't think I've ever gotten an unwrapped pork butt to 200+. You must've had some killer bark built up on that thing at 26hrs! One time I did ribs for 20hrs at a low temp. Bark City. I didn't like them but my buddies raved about them, and still do to this day, my "20 Hour ribs" they call them, and I tell them that will never happen again.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:
                1. Give us an email address you actually use. You can set or change your email on file with us by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Notifications tab.
                2. Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important to receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

• rmeugene
                  rmeugene commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks for the heads up on the temp! I had gotten my other two 6lb ish butts up to 203°. There was an awesome bark! I had read a lot about the stall but it took a LONG time after the stall to go from 170ish to the 190's.

Cannot believe how much I am enjoying this!

Welcome to the Pit! Glad yer here, don't see nuthin' wrong about wakin' up to pulled pork!!!

Comment

Welcome to the group, rmeugene!!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit rmeugene!

Comment

Welcome from Indiana....

Comment

rmeugene, Welcome to "The Pit"! You are Now Enrolled in the BBQ Univ.! Attendance and Participation are Mandatory! Enjoy "The Pit"!
                        Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here