Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bbq'er from Aus here..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bbq'er from Aus here..

G'day new mates. I've been city living for quite some time now and had a DIY balcony-friendly bbq set up. Just an aluminium tray with an oven-rack over the top. Never even heard of a chimney until I stumbled across this website so I laugh now at how I used to attempt to light coals. Recently purchased a Weber Kettle as I am about to move into a place with a backyard so can finally start outdoor cooking properly. I've already started making my own rubs and bbq sauces. I am excited to finally use real smoke in the sauce and not liquid smoke.

You guys all seem really nice and I'm excited to be apart of this community. Just a quick question - any bbq-accessories I should avoid or MUST have... I am pretty new to all of this so any advice is great.

Cheers!!

Greetings and welcome to the Pit! Where in Oz? For many years while I was with BHP Billiton, I considered Melbourne a second home.

Comment

• ausbbq
      ausbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      That's where I am from sir. I grew up in Rural Australia but have lived here now for about 10 years. Great city!

Originally posted by Mbmorgan View Post
    Greetings and welcome to the Pit! Where in Oz? For many years while I was with BHP Billiton, I considered Melbourne a second home.
    Where are you from yourself?

Comment

Near Denver, Colorado ... not much oxygen up here ... ...

Comment

Oh ... and the #1 MUST have is a really good instant read thermometer... like the Thermoworks Thermapen MK4. There's a whole bunch of other must-haves but that's #1.

Comment

Welcome ausbbq

Comment

Welcome ausbbq !

Comment

Welcome ausbbq. Instant read thermometer as Mbmorgan has mentioned is a must, and Meatheads: "The Science of Great Barbecue and Grilling," will get you going nicely!

Comment

• ausbbq
                ausbbq commented
                Editing a comment
                I actually purchased that book yesterday!

@ausbb, Hey Down Under from Up Yonder! Welcome to "The Pit"! You are Now Enrolled in the BBQ Univ.! Attendance and Participation are Mandatory! Enjoy "The Pit"! Another Weber User, among others, here! You will need to get an S 'n S (Slow and Sear) for Your Weber 22 1/2" Kettle a Great Accessory that turns your Kettle into a Great Smoker! Check out the AmazingRibs.Com Site Ratings and Reviews Section also the AdrenalineBBQCo.com for S 'n S info! MBMorgan is
              right You will need an Instant Read Thermometer but also get a Good Leave In Therm such as a Maverick et 732/733!
              Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	7 Size:	5.05 MB ID:	231812Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	30 Size:	523.9 KB ID:	231814Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	33 Size:	496.1 KB ID:	231813Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	14 Size:	569.2 KB ID:	231815Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	3 Size:	3.90 MB ID:	231816Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.96 MB ID:	231818Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	2.90 MB ID:	231819
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Danjohnston949; October 20, 2016, 07:53 AM.

Comment

• ausbbq
                ausbbq commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for this mate.

Without sound like a total idiot - is it possible to slow cook the meats without a SnS or is it mandatory? I don't mind purchasing it, I just had no idea it was even an option.

• Danjohnston949
                Danjohnston949 commented
                Editing a comment
                ausbbq, The Short Answer is Yes! Simply Pile your Lit Coals to one side retained by a charcoal rack or holder by Weber! A row of Firebrick on edge will help to divide the Grill into Direct and Indirect Sides! Smoke on the Indirect Side!
                From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Welcome - cannot read your posts without putting the accent in my mind - love it! There are so many things you can buy and have fun with, just browse through the Ratings & Reviews and you will see. The only item I am dissapointed with is the Cuisinart Grilluminate, just wasn't as bright as I expected.

Comment

Howdy from The Great State of Jefferson (actually northern California)! I have to agree with the SlowNSear and Thermapen recommendations. The SNS will give you more options with the Weber and the Thermapen will help you not ruin the whole mess! It sounds like you already discovered the chimney so please, please, please ditch any lighter fluid you might have!

Comment

g'day mate! lived in sydney for two years, but my all time favorite place in oz is the mornington penninsula. lots of mates in sorrento and rye. living back home in California now, but OZ always holds a special place in my heart. I come back every couple years.

For that weber Kettle of yours, make sure you get the Thermapen and also a slow 'n sear. If you want to kick it up a notch, may as well get the grill grates and the new griddle pan. and the smoke thermometer. From there you basically have a kick ass grill for those eye fillets and an excellent smoker for those long haul meats.

Sounds basic, but the chimney is great for starting your charcoal! I also use a wagner heat tool to fire coals up. Super quick and easy. If you don't like that, you can also get a sterno lighter can (like the ones used to heat catering dishes) to put under the chimney to get the coals going. Newspaper always works, but then there's a ton of ash!

You're in good hands here mate! let us know how we can help, and always take lots of pictures when you cook.

Cheers! And go MANLY

Comment

• smokinfatties
                    smokinfatties commented
                    Editing a comment
                    so funny, most everyone loves to hate manly! I lived there when they won the GF in 2012. where in rural australia did you grow up? I have some friends in rural NSW (Trundle and Albury, if you consider Albury rural)

• ausbbq
                    ausbbq commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Funnily enough I am from Wagga Wagga which is right by Albury! About an hours drive.

I am a Parramatta Eels supporter but have a soft spot for Manly.

• Sydney Simon
                    Sydney Simon commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm from Sydney (name probably gives that away right). What made me laugh is I was down in the Mornington Peninsula last weekend, stayed in Rye and had dinner in Sorrento! Small world :-)

In addition to the Slow 'n Sear and Thermapen, I recommend picking up a hinge for your kettle lid. I found this one on Amazon, and it has served me well. I now have both hands free when opening the lid, without needing a place to set it down.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit ausbbq. It's great to have you here. Thank you for your support!

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members. It contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:
                    • Give us an email address you actually use. You can set or change your email on file with us by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Account tab.
                    • Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We never spam! This is important to receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Hope to see you around The Pit often!

Comment

Welcome aboard ausbbq! Stay away from ALL BBQ accessories, because it is just a matter of time before MCS sets in & you will NEED everything that is practically made. You will be building sheds as big as barns & wanting to fill em with multiple cookers & those darn accessories. Glad to have you with us, enjoy the ride!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here