Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Howdy from Houston Texas!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Howdy from Houston Texas!

I have been lurking on this site for quite awhile and once a "Pit Masters Club" was formed, I had to join! I graduated from Texas Tech University in '01 and now teach theatre arts to 6-8th graders in Houston. I'm what you call a "weekend warrior" but I also go nuts during the holidays with smoking and grilling all kinds of stuff. If I'm not bbq'ing in the backyard, you'll find me onstage acting in lots of community theatre shows. Nothing gives me more pleasure than to feed a hungry cast and crew from my pit! I recently purchased my first "real" stick burner from a manufacturer called Johnson Smokers out of Ennis Texas. I named her "Irene" and she's a reverse flow kinda gal as I like to say. 10 square feet of cooking space with 1/4 inch steel all around. I'm a dorkimus prime when it comes to sauces, rubs, and the outdoor culinary arts in general. This site is right up my alley because I also love the science behind what we do (a.k.a. Alton Brown)another fave. Glad to be here and look forward to meeting y'all!
    Last edited by Pork Lord; October 3, 2014, 08:55 PM.

Hey Pork,

WELCOME!

Comment

THANKS JON! (I need to turn my caps lock off) Tee Hee :-)

Comment

Welcome PL, I urged you to visit this page before I noticed you already had! Kudos!

Next up, let's get to work on that signature! To get help with that, check out Pit Boss' Welcome & Announcements channel (if you haven't already) and read through the tips posts in that channel. There's also a post that explains the best way to post nice big pics here... we like to see bragging pictures of equipment and your cooks. We look forward to hearing more from you! Enjoy!

Comment

PL, Welcome!! I look forward to your posts and pics. I see you have jumped right in and are active on the boards.

Barry

Comment

So PL, tell us more about your Johnson Custom Smoker. What model do you have? What others did you consider before getting the Johnson? Why the Johnson? IMWTK

The reason for all the questions is I am looking at "Stick Burners". I really like the setup on the "Compact Ultimate Patio" model.

Comment

• Marauderer
              Marauderer commented
              Editing a comment
              Whatareyoutalkingabout?? Isn't that a handsome looking unit? Jon, if you bought two of them you could give me one!!

• Jon Solberg
              Jon Solberg commented
              Editing a comment
              If I strike it big I'll do it.

• Marauderer
              Marauderer commented
              Editing a comment
              You da Man, Jon!!

Originally posted by Marauderer View Post
            So PL, tell us more about your Johnson Custom Smoker. What model do you have? What others did you consider before getting the Johnson? Why the Johnson? IMWTK

The reason for all the questions is I am looking at "Stick Burners". I really like the setup on the "Compact Ultimate Patio" model.

pThat's exactly my model! I had it custom made with a Double "T" and "Guns Up" across the stacks! After reading so many articles here, I visited Lang, Gator pits (here in Houston) and a few others! Ultimatley, I wanted a reverse flow pit because of the efficiency in cooking (I'm turning out briskets and pork shoulders in almost a 1/3rd less time at 225!) and elimination of hot spots! I met Chad who runs the business and he really knows his craft. His business is run out of a fabricated steel building on his property in Ennis Texas. This was a labour of love as I waited 3 1/2 months to have it built and then drove 4 hours up to Ennis to pick it up in my buddies truck. It is sealed perfectly. He will slightly season it for you before pickup with a little Pecan. You have to leave the intake door open fully for your fire to really get going which takes about 30 minutes as I don't have an accelerator for the smoke box. As far as stick burners go, You really can't go wrong with a reverse flow pit. "Irene" can hold 225 or whatever temp you need for about 3-4 hours before you need to add fuel and I mean it's pegged at the temp! It actually took me awhile to sto checking on it so much because I'm used to that on my old Brinkmann that leaked smoke and air like a siv. I chose Johnson because I wanted to support a small business, in TEXAS :-), and he specializes in the reverse flow tech. I think all of his pits except for the "T" design are built reverse flow.

Comment

Well PL, that sure is a handsome unit!

Comment

Originally posted by Marauderer View Post
                Well PL, that sure is a handsome unit!

If you want more information about Johnson smokers PM me and I'll give ya all the details. I'm very happy with my unit. I honestly believe you can't go wrong with them.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskee View Post
                  Welcome PL, I urged you to visit this page before I noticed you already had! Kudos!

Next up, let's get to work on that signature! To get help with that, check out Pit Boss' Welcome & Announcements channel (if you haven't already) and read through the tips posts in that channel. There's also a post that explains the best way to post nice big pics here... we like to see bragging pictures of equipment and your cooks. We look forward to hearing more from you! Enjoy!

What do you mean by signature? I'm confused as I have gone to my profile and cannot locate a "signature" option I have read the mods posts but nothing on signature. Perhaps it's the Texan in me and I'm missing it somehow? Please advise.

Comment

I think I just solved my own problem.. advise as necessary mods. Thanks!

Comment

Welcome PL! What part of Houston?

Comment

• Pork Lord
                        Pork Lord commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Southeast side of town Pasadena

• Ernest
                        Ernest commented
                        Editing a comment
                        OK. I go to Stafford for work quite often.

These pits sound awesome... I am intrigued with that reverse flow

Comment

Thanks Smarkley! I did a ton of research on them and like anything else in the BBQ world debate swirls in an unending crap shoot. It alleviates hot spots mainly. There are pits similar that have "tuning plates" which are a series of plates that run underneath the main cooking chamber but they seemed a bit complicated to me and I didn't want to have to jack with my machine any more than I already do.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here