Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greetings from the UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings from the UK

Hi All

Just a quick introduction from across the pond…..

As an apartment dweller for the last 34 years a very, very strange thing will happen next year; from March 2017 I will have 'outside space'. Finally, I will be able to 'fuel' a passion that has been 'smouldering' inside me for the best part of my life; finally man makes meat meet flame…..

Ok….. enough tears of joy.

I love to cook; I have done all my life. First memories revolve around Grandma's recipes involving all those bits of animals some folks seem to want to throw away. Next was student life, shared accommodation and 'bulk' cooking for all.

Given this site's primary interest it may seem an odd statement but it was vegetarians who first inspired me to cook better. I totally respect individual choice but I didn't understand textured vegetable protein and the desire to imitate the very thing that was off the menu. When it was my turn at the stove I knocked up hearty bean-based chillies, spicy Indian dals, gorgeous unleavened bread; people loved my food – I ended up cooking for 10 – 15 at a time. No meat in sight but it certainly sparked my interest in concentrating flavours and what anyone can achieve with a bit of loving care and attention.

As above, however, the smoker and grill have always been off limits. Of course, I've dabbled; struggling with disposable one-burn grills at the beach and bringing my uncooked food to other's gatherings marvelling at the glowing embers. Finally….. my own rack of ribs feels tantalizingly close...

Two points -

Be ready for lots of questions
    &
    I'm guessing I'm the only person on here who does not own a grill; yet…..

Looking forward to joining the discussions.

Cheers

Andy

Exotic Manchester - UK
    Grill: None (but I have bought a shiny chimney starter which I take out of the box and play with in the evenings – had to buy something…..)
    Thermometer: Damp finger in the air

Welcome to the joy of the Pit!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit AndyBWood! Feel free to ask questions. There are a lot of experienced members who are glad to help. Hope to see you around often!

Comment

Cheers!
        You know you actually now have a grilling devise. Search around here and you will see some people use their chimney to cook on! Congradulations!

Comment

• Porterdriver
          Porterdriver commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes you do AndyBWood. Get a small round grate that fits the top of your shiny chimney starter and you, my friend, can begin burning animal flesh on your patio.
          Welcome to the Pit. Ask all of the questions you need to, we all do it.

• AndyBWood
          AndyBWood commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes ! I've seen the afterburner videos. May sneak out to the car park one evening and fire her up; just for scientific research of course.....

Welcome to the Pit. We are happy too have you here. Take a look at the reviews page to narrow down what smoker/grill you want to buy. There are hundreds of options too read about in there.

Comment

Welcome AndyBWood

Comment

Welcome mate. COYG!!!

Comment

Welcome AndyBWood

Comment

Greetings, Andy ... and welcome to the Pit!

Comment

AndyBWood, Welcome to The Pit! You are Now Enrolled in the BBQ Univ.! Attendance and Participation are Mandatory! Enjoy "The Pit"! Three suggestions for you as you get Started! 1) Weber Performer Charcoal Kettle 22 1/2" or 26 1/2" Dia., 2) S 'n S (Slow and Sear by AdrenalineBBQCo, 3) A Maverick 732 or 733 Leave in Thermometer, If there is Spare Farthing after the first Three get A ThermoWorks Mk-4 Thermapen Instant Read thermometer, an Absolutely Fine British Product! You will get many suggestion from our Brethern of The Pit on how you should spend your Money!
                  I just thought I would take the first shot, but I can assure you that you will be making Top Notch BBQ with these Items!
                  Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	5.05 MB ID:	228217Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	28 Size:	523.9 KB ID:	228223Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	30 Size:	496.1 KB ID:	228224Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	36 Size:	540.8 KB ID:	228225Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	3 Size:	3.90 MB ID:	228221
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Danjohnston949; October 7, 2016, 03:43 PM.

Comment

• AndyBWood
                    AndyBWood commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Are you a mind reader ??? Following a couple of months research, your performer / SnS set up is very likely the way I'll go !

Welcome aboard AndyBWood. It's great to have you here and thank you for your support!

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members. It contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:
                  • Give us an email address you actually use. You can set or change your email on file with us by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Account tab.
                  • Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We never spam! This is important to receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

See you around The Pit!

Comment

• AndyBWood
                    AndyBWood commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'll make sure I do my homework ( hope there's no exam though ? )

• fuzzydaddy
                    fuzzydaddy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Cook some great food, have fun, hang around The Pit and you're all set!

Hi All

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome.

Having hacked around the site for a few weeks two things stand out immediately.......

1. Member's depth of knowledge and experience
                  2. A friendly place to hang around

Thanks again

AndyBWood

Comment

Welcome AndyBWood, nice to make new friends from far away places.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit AndyBWood! We're glad you're here. We want to see pics of your journey!

Comment

If AndyBWood was a wood, what kind of wood would he be?

You look to be more of a hop head.

Comment

• AndyBWood
                          AndyBWood commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Probably wobbly wood...... mixing hops, grain and yeast is my other thing.....

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here