Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

John from Flagstaff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John from Flagstaff

Greetings from 7,000 ft (2,133 meters)!

I bought my first Weber kettle over 40 years ago, and no, I don't have it anymore.

I bought my first (and only) Weber Smokey Joe 20 years ago. Used it once. Got up the next morning to find that the entire grill had departed my 14th floor apartment balcony in downtown Chicago (1133 N. Dearborn (and Elm), for those who know the city). I looked over the rail, saw no corpses, shrugged my shoulders and wrote off the Smokey Joe for Windy City use.

I now primarily use a pellet pooper (Yoder YS640). Flagstaff, AZ lies in the middle of the Coconino National Forest (I'm sure you've heard about our fires) and places the sames fire restrictions (and sometimes MORE stringent) as the National Forest Service. What that means is for a couple of months/year, NO open flame, NO charcoal, NO stick burners, NO nada WITHOUT an off-switch. Pellet poopers have OFF switches. Keeps me legal...and in GREAT Q.

But I still have a great deal to learn...including now how to adjust what I know for cooking at elevation (water boils here at just under 199°F!, and it's usually VERY dry).

I cook for myself and lately have really gotten into sous vide cooking. I'll brine/marinate/rub whatever protein I want for my main meal the next day, vac-seal it (I have a VacMaster VP 112 chamber vac, so I can seal liquids), cook it to temp and reverse sear it (either over charcoal in a Weber kettle using Thunderbird's Vortex, or on the YS640). Perfect internal temp. Yummers!

I'm happy to become a member of the Pitmaster Club after learning so much from AmazingRibs over the years (and I mean YEARS). I don't agree with everything Meathead's said, but then he'd agree with far less of what I'd say...so...

I still got some learnin' to do (said to the cadence of Ricky saying to Lucy "You got some 'splaining to do!").

See you around!

Smoke 'em if you got 'em!

Welcome Ozric. Congrats on having something to use under those restrictions. If I ever get a pellet pooper it will either be a Rec-Tec or a Yoder.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit John! When you have a chance take a few minutes to read my welcome letter as well as tips on how to use The Pit. They can be found in the Welcome and Announcements Channel. In particular, check out my tip #1 on signature creation and tip #4 on pic uploading. Tip #4 will help display your pics in a larger format that's viewable in the thread itself. As you can see we're a small but growing community. The more information and love you put in the more interest we'll get from fellow Pit members. Before you know it we'll have a BBQ wiki bounty of information for everyone to review, improve, share, and use. I look forward to your input!

Comment

Thanks for the heads-up, David. I'll check out those tips. Sure would be nice if a member's Location was display is the left sidebar with their avatar. That way, I can just say "here" instead of having to write out "Flagstaff, AZ" all of the time. FWIW

Comment

Originally posted by Ozric View Post
          Thanks for the heads-up, David. I'll check out those tips. Sure would be nice if a member's Location was display is the left sidebar with their avatar. That way, I can just say "here" instead of having to write out "Flagstaff, AZ" all of the time. FWIW

We should be able to do that.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here