Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Totally new to this! From PA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Totally new to this! From PA

Hey guys I found Amazing Ribs through BBQCentralShow because I listen to a ton of podcasts. I use them to learn more and keep current with my hobbies and interests. I'm 34 and married with two daughters (3 yr old and 3 months) and only stumbled upon great low and slow bbq a few years ago.

I currently do not own a cooker other than a Weber Q tailgater but will be buying one by year's end. From reading some posts here I'm leaning toward a Weber kettle with a slow N sear because it'll be both a legit grill for burgers and steaks along with the smoking capabilities.

Any recommendations on books or videos or podcasts to help a complete new guy would be appreciated!
    Last edited by Steve_D12; October 2, 2016, 10:33 AM. Reason: Fixed typo from iPhone autocorrect

Welcome Steve_D12

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Greetings Steve... and welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Welcome! You have everything you need in terms of reference material right here at The Pit. The kettle with an SnS will be a great starter combo. (Don't worry, your MCS will develop soon enough after that.)

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! I'll second boftx

Comment

Welcome aboard Steve_D12! We're glad you joined. The Weber Kettle and Slow 'N Sear is a great choice. For books, look at Meathead's. We have Video Seminars with Pitmaster Professors and The PitCast With Greg Rempe (BBQCentralShow). You'll need a good digital thermometer for meat and air/pit temps, and look at the new Smoke from ThermoWorks. See you around The Pit!

Comment

Thanks everyone! fuzzydaddy thanks for those links. I'll be sure to check out the videos. boftx thanks for the confirmation about Weber kettle and sns!

Comment

Welcome Steve! Glad you took the referral over here as well! Thanks for being a Centralite as well!

Comment

Hiya Steve_D12, I kept my old Weber in the RV for years and only used it to cook on campouts. Since I found this site my venerable old kettle now has a place of honor among my other grilling appliances and I use it regularly. The SnS really gives it another dimension. Carry on!

Comment

Steve_D12 it's great to have you here and thank you for your support!

Please check out our homework assignment post for new members. It contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:
                      • Give us an email address you actually use. You can set or change your email on file with us by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Account tab.
                      • Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We never spam! This is important to receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

See you around The Pit!

Comment

Welcome Steve_D12 !!!

*I'm glad to have you here, and welcome your input!

Best regards to your Family!!!

Comment

Welcome aboard Steve_D12. You cannot go wrong with the Weber kettle & the Sn'S for cooking for your young fam & initial BBQ. But be very careful, your family is about to expand as your skills improve. That's when MCS will strike & rear it's mighty head & then you will be "a cooking fool". Enjoy the ride!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Steve_D12! Yep, I too will confirm your initial choice of a kettle and SnS will provide you with great happiness, relatively small initial expense, GREAT efficiency of charcoal use, and is a perfect size for a small family. Heck, I've cooked for my family & guests (11 people total, 8 adults) on my 22". They'll hold a couple large pork butts or a full packer brisket, and that's a lotta food to cook on only a chimney or two of charcoal!

Comment

One more vote for Kettle & S&S. I use that as much as I use my Big Green Egg.

Where in PA? I grew up in the Pittsburgh area, South Hills (Pleasant Hills to be exact). Now we're in NEPA.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Yes
                              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here