Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Patrick (they call me Shush) from Northern Virginia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Patrick (they call me Shush) from Northern Virginia

I have been messing around the last few years with this smoking concept. My wife bought me a Brinkmann Bullet style, electric smoker for Father's day. I used it a few times, mostly for ribs, salmon, and the occasional Pork Butt. But I had no idea what I was doing. I'd looked up things on the Internet, learned about the Texas Crutch (3-2-1), etc. But never took it seriously. Most of the time, I turned out good to decent food. I started chatting with some folks on-line, bought a couple of Thermapens, a Maverick, and invested in a RecTec 680. The RecTec just got here a week or so ago, and it has already done ribs, pork chops, and this week 3 Butts for a party. I have to say, I never thought I would enjoy sitting around and watching a closed smoker/grill. My formative years were in Wisconsin, where I learned to drink like a 'sconsie. I try not to drink too much while I'm cooking because I fear I'll forget something. But I am learning that some things are more forgiving than others. I just got Meathead's book, and learned soooo much in the first 48 pages. The read is smooth and easy. Anyway, I'll be sure to read/comment on others posts as well as ask some questions of my own.

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Welcome from another Virginian. Sorry, but I can't help with your RecTec.

Comment

Welcome from another life long Wisconsinite!

Comment

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Pardon the excitement here, but he is not a life long 'sconsie. He is a defector, sorta kinda. That's OK.
          I wonder if North Virginia is anything like Up Nort Wisconsin? I wonder if they talk funny up there? Then again we talk funny everywhere.

• Bob's BBQ
          Bob's BBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Up Nort here we still embrace our defectors don't cha know. We talk fine, it's the rest of the country that talks funny, eh. I'm off to get a drink from the bubbler!

• shush
          shush commented
          Editing a comment
          So, defector? Not so much. I was born in VA. Moved to WI when my folks split, learned how to be a decent human being in WI, then moved back to VA because of work/education. I was lovingly adopted by my Wisconsin friends, and still consider myself a Wisconsinite. Just misplaced, not defected.

Welcome aboard Patrick, they call you shush! You just opened the box to smokin/grillin nirvana. You will find this to be the active element to Meathead's book, or maybe the big brother. He has laid the foundation & now there is a whole lotta building goin on.
        You did throw a new one out there. Can't say l have ever heard 'sconsie referred to before. Enjoy the Q ride!

Comment

Welcome shush

Comment

Thanks for the kind words all!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! We are happy to have you here. Drinking and BBQ do go together. But My results certainly improved after I gave up the suds!! its weird, I remember to do the little things so much better when I'm not half in the bag.

Comment

• shush
                shush commented
                Editing a comment
                That sounds like my golf game. I used to get plastered and wondered why my score suffered. Now I don't drink a drop and know my score suffers!

Welcome to the Pit, shush !

Comment

Welcome to The Pit shush. It's great to have you here and thank you for your support! Great job on your signature and I enjoyed your introduction.

Please check out our homework assignment post for new members. It contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:
                • Give us an email address you actually use. You can set or change your email on file with us by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Notifications tab.
                • Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We never spam! This is important to receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

See you around The Pit!

Comment

Okay, I'll bite. Why do they call you Shush?

And from a fellow 'sconsie (first time I've seen that one too), welcome aboard! Good to have another 'sconsie around even if you're in Virginia.

Comment

Northern Virginia in the house....... Leesburg for me and my Rec Tec Mini. Welcome. Lots of great information and help here.

Comment

• shush
                      shush commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Live in Woodbridge, Work in Fairfax. Used to work in Ashburn. Thanks!

• richinlbrg
                      richinlbrg commented
                      Editing a comment
                      +1 in Leesburg.

OK, Guest , actually now just outside of the town proper. Used to live In the historic district.

And welcome, shush !

• HawkerXP
                      HawkerXP commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Sterling is where I rest. Work at Dulles.

It's a very long story, but it boils down to being in a less than legal private poker room. Completely quiet except for the shuffling of chips... I am out of the tournament waiting on my buddy. Out of nowhere, the "floor" (Large man sitting immediately to my left) belts out "FIVE MINUTES LEFT IN THIS LEVEL!". It startled me and I reacted in a less than polite way. He tore into me yelling "You don't shush me in my house!" repeatedly. My buddy latched on and I was given the poker nickname of 'Shush'

Comment

• FireMan
                      FireMan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      And here l thought it might have been yo mama shushing ya.

Welcome to the Pit! You are on the right track.

Comment

shush, Welcome to The Pit! You are Now Enrolled in the BBQ University! Attendance and Participation are Mandatory!
                      Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here