Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello From The Great State of Jefferson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello From The Great State of Jefferson

Hello, My name is Mike Hamilton and I joined AR.com about a year ago. We live outside the town of Mount Shasta, CA with that big 'ol mountain gazing down at us. The part of California we live in (far north, almost to Oregon) is part of a movement, or at least a sentiment, of creating a new State of Jefferson that encompasses parts of Norcal and Oregon, hence the reference. Nothing wrong with the rest of California, just folks up here would like a little more control of our destiny.

I am a retired Fireman and currently have a small construction business. As Firemen, we are generally predisposed to grilling food. Something about the open flame and smoke holds a natural allure for us, and is the only situation that does not compel us to extinguish it.

I have been grilling for most of my life, starting with burning hot dogs in the back yard when I was about 6 years old. Growing up in a small town, social life generally revolved around the volunteer fire department and the churches. Summers were filled with BBQ fundraisers and many of us got pretty good at grilling tri tips, pork, chicken and burgers.

A few years ago I decided to up my game a little and purchased my first pellet smoker. Wow, did that open a new world of grilling! Over the ensuing years I have spent a lot of time researching recipes and techniques to improve my skills. Like many of us here, I stumbled upon AR.com while looking for a good pork butt recipe. Hallelujah, I have reached the Promised Land of grilling! The Fireman in me thoroughly enjoys the recipes and techniques that help churn out fantastic food, while the paramedic in me appreciates the science of the grilling processes and really adds to the knowledge base.

My current grilling accoutrements consist of an old-school Traeger BBQ075, a 20 year old many times rebuilt Weber gas grill, a Bradley smoker, and I have dusted off my venerable old 22" Weber kettle that I only used for camping and am gaining a whole new perspective for. Add to that a Camp Chef 2 burner gas cooktop and a Sweet home pellet grill (emergency backup and overflow cooking) and my back deck looks like a grillmasters-gone-wild nightmare! My wife, like many I'm sure, just shakes her head and mutters something I can't quite hear (although she never complains at dinnertime!).

I have shared AR.com with many friends and we have great fun trying out new recipes on each each other. I look forward sharing and contributing to the site for many more years to come. Thanks for giving us this great resource!
    Last edited by CaptainMike; October 2, 2016, 11:52 AM.

Howdy, Mike, in The Great State of Jefferson!

It sounds like you have lots of experience grilling and bbq'ing, and, like many of us, are upping your game, tuning your chops, etc.

I think that you have found the right place to do just that, as have I!

It also appears that you have an enviable arsenal of equipment holding down yer patio, to keep it from blowing away in a high wind. Always a good idea! Better safe, than sorry! Patios are awfully expensive things to replace, so all those grill / cookers / smokers are, as I see it, actually cheap insurance!!!

NorCal (South Jefferson?) is a spectacular place. I've been there, looking for one of my older brothers. No Joy, in that regard. So far.

Last time I seen him was in '68; he came home from the 'Nam, forcibly smiling, looking at us from sunken, haunted, hollow eyes, packed his bags, and went up into the mountains near Willits. He ain't come down since. Not even for Pa's funeral.

I go look for him, now and again. I've found sign, many times, but not caught up to him, at least not yet. He's pretty dam* clever.

Keep smokin', an' post lotsa pics, techniques, recipes, etc.!!!

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Good luck on your quest, Boss. Bad thing, losing a brother.

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the welcome, Mr Bones. While I live in Mt Shasta now, I was born and raised in Mendocino County, where Willits is located. I know a lot of Vietnam Vets in that area and they are a pretty tight group that looks out for each other.

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the welcome, Mr Bones. While I live in Mt Shasta now, I was born and raised in Mendocino County, where Willits is located.

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the welcome, LA PB!

Welcome aboard CaptainMike! It's great you're here. I enjoyed reading your introduction and wow, a really nice bunch of cookers!

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the welcome and gentle nudge.

Welcome CaptainMike ... I was born and raised in the Sierra Nevada foothills, Rocklin, Loomis ... have family and friends there and throughout the area, like Penryn, Auburn, Paradise, Chico, etc. Love the area around Shasta. My dad grew up in Trinity County, Hyampom specifically. I grew up hunting and fishing the Trinity and 40 mile ridge. These days I live in Western WA ... mostly cause no income tax and not restrictive about firearms.

Looking forward to seeing and hearing more from you!

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the welcome. I retired from CDF so I know all of the areas you mentioned quite well.

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      CaptainMike in the late 90's my cousin Jason was a fire jumper with the CDF

Welcome CaptainMike

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you!

Greetings, Mike ... and welcome to the Pit! That's some beautiful country up there where you live. Back when I was flying out of Sacramento with students that area was a favorite destination for cross-country training. If Jefferson ever becomes a retirement-friendly reality, I'd seriously consider heading your way.

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the welcome! Yeah, unfortunately CA is not very retirement-friendly. And hard to move back when one leaves.

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      I like the Medford and Rogue River area, too .... for retirement, fixed income, etc it is probably a great choice, except that you are a long way from anywhere

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the welcome EdF!

Greetings Capt Mike. Beautiful area up there. We spent some time at Coffee Creak Ranch in Trinity Alps area.

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      I have fished and hunted that area for years. Beautiful country indeed!

Welcome aboard the train to Pittsville. Enjoy the ride.

l take it you might be a retired captain or is that moniker due to your grillin prowess?

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Actually a retired battalion chief, but fire captain was by far the best and most satisfying job I had in the business.

Hello again CaptainMike. Thank you for your support!

Please check out our homework assignment post for new members. It contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:
    • Give us an email address you actually use. You can set or change your email on file with us by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Notifications tab.
    • Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We never spam! This is important to receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

See you around The Pit!

Comment

Captain Mike - I suppose that you stock up on stuff at the Redding Costco. I live in Chico. I have been getting Choice Briskets from a local butcher down here. I have been waiting forever for Costco to start getting prime brisket. Reading with envy posts from others. The Costco Butcher always said the same thing - no demand so they won't stock them. Prime Tri-tips are always there. Yesterday - viola - prime brisket at $2.65 a pound for the first time ever in Chico. Sizes abundant. If it's down here, it's likely to be stocked in Redding. Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        We usually go to Medford since there's no sales tax. Nicer drive AND they pump your gas.

Welcome to The Pit CaptainMike it sure sounds like your area of the world is beautiful. The furthest west I've been is Joliet, IL (SW of Chicago) for work once.

Comment

This is the little hill that looks down at us
        Attached Files

Comment

All I can say to that view is a really big WOW!!

Comment

Are you kidding me? I would want my own state too!!!! Spectacular!! Great introduction. Welcome to the Pit!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here