Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie from Hollywood, Florida

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie from Hollywood, Florida

Greetings everyone. I am a 58 year old retired firefighter who always loved grilled food. I just never realized how badly I sucked at preparing it until I retired, discovered a slew of YouTube videos to help and realized there is a science behind how food turns out, not just slapping stuff over a fire and pulling it off when it turns dark and ugly.

Since then, I have studied hundreds of hours of YouTube videos and have made a concerted effort to challenge myself as a BBQer. I use a Weber gas grill and a RecTec smoker that I LOVE. Purists may scoff, but I've learned to make some outstanding food outcomes even though I've (so far) avoided charcoal. I've been eyeing Big Green Eggs, so I may break down and expand my horizons.

In the past few years, I've evolved from passing off charcoal briquettes as "ribs" to making some of the most savory and tender ribs I've had in my life. I've smoked Boston Butts, whole turkeys, briskets and plenty of ribs. My biggest challenge is that to try new grilling/smoking projects, I have to have the people to feed it to. For instance, my RecTec smoker is big enough to smoke a small hog, but I have NO IDEA what I would do with all that meat.

Anyway, I hope to continue to perfect the things I'm doing well and to improve the things that need help. This website was a big help in my early days of trying to figure out what I was doing, so I felt a financial obligation to support it was fair and reasonable. Hopefully, others will as well.

That's it about me: I'm a hacker that wants to get better. Hopefully we can all improve in the process. Thanks and good luck.

Welcome to The Pit russchard! Very nice intro. We all have our own personal preferences of cookers and fuel type, but if purists scoff at you, then they're not your BBQ friends. All cookers make great food, and all pitmasters make great friends here in The Pit. Thanks for your support!

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:
    1. Give us an email address you actually use. You can set or change your email on file with us by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Notifications tab.
    2. Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important to receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit, Russ!

Comment

Welcome aboard russchard! We are glad you joined and hope to see you around The Pit a lot!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit russchard! We're glad you're here.

Comment

Welcome to the pit

Comment

Welcome russchard

Comment

• russchard
                russchard commented
                Editing a comment
                thanks

Welcome aboard Russ. Purists some may be, but for the most part the quest for mo'better is foremost here. With helping others to obtain that mo'better being the foundation of this site & everybody involved. Have fun & enjoy the ride!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! Keep smoking. I love my Big Green Egg. If you can catch an Eggfest near by you can usually pick on up after 4 hours of use for $200-300 below retail. Check the Big Green Egg sit for Eggfest schedules. They are lots of fun sampling food and learning how people cook on them.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here