Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoke or Toss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoke or Toss

Hi Everybody
    Douglas H. here, new member first post. Been gas grilling for the last 20 years and finally bought my first Weber and I love it.
    Last night reverse seared New York Strips on the Slow-n-Sear and WOW! Anyway my question is about Cryovac ribs. Got a pack of Smithfield St. Louis style with a use or freeze by date of Aug. 24, tomorrow will be two weeks past that date and I'm wondering if they're still safe to cook. They look fine and have been stored in the coldest part of the fridge. Haven't cut open to smell yet, thought I'd ask your opinions first. Hate to trash them if there's still a chance. Thanks

Probably ok. Open it, rinse them off, and smell them. Your nose should be able to tell the tale.

Comment

Is there a "packed on" date. They should be good for at least 30 days if not opened. If anyone disagrees - please shout out.

Comment

Welcome from Indiana.

Comment

Go by the packed on date and the smell. I am pretty much of the "when in doubt, throw it out" crowd .... So, if it smells or feels wrong .... Gotta go.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit (Douglas H). It's great to have you here and thank you for your support! I'm also a "in doubt, throw it out" person. I once ate some spoiled beef and I don't want to go through that ordeal again.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members. It contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:
            • Give us an email address you actually use. You can set or change your email on file with us by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Notifications tab.
            • Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We never spam! This is important to receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!
            See you around The Pit!

Comment

I'm in the "when in doubt ..." camp as well. But I also have a very bad sense of smell. If you have a dog, then somehow manage to get the package out of your fridge without the dog having any clue you have done so, including sound. Place out of sight on a counter and if your dog comes sniffing around it is probably in the "doubt" category, especially if it was sealed properly.

That said, I once had a dog who could ALWAYS smell meat no matter how tightly it was sealed. She was simply amazing at seeking it out. (And even better at stealing food every chance she got!)

Comment

Unless they smell horrible when you open them I'd probably cook them. Rotten meat is easy to detect just by smelling it, it'll have a rotten, vile smell. Not so easy with meat that's on the verge of crossing over to the dark side but it should still have a distinct 'not quite right" odor to it.

Comment

Cryovac stink is common, though. If you open and they smell funny, rinse, chill for an hour. They may smell better after an hour.

Comment

• jbeck1986
                    jbeck1986 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Good to know

• rat88
                    rat88 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I never thought pork smelled that good to start with.

Welcome (Douglas H)

Comment

I read somewhere that the use by date is really early as far as safety goes on most food items. I agree with Ed & Meathead. I've found cryovac smell just is & 2weeks means just a good rinse & you should be good to go!
                    Oh, & most important, welcome aboard & enjoy the ride!

Comment

I read in Modernist Cuisine... If you are going to Sous Vide meat at under 131° that you should blanch it in boiling water for 1 minute before you seal it in a vacuum packed bag. That process will kill any surface bacteria that may incubate at low temperature cooking.

You MIGHT want to apply that technique to any cryovac meat that has a strange smell.

Your meat will not cook hardly at all at 200°/212° (Depending on altitude) for 60 seconds.

Comment

A belated welcome to The Pit (Douglas H)! Great to have you here. Not sure what you ended up doing, but I would NEVER EVER trust pork ribs 2 weeks after the "use by" date. Pork just isn't worth it. I've had foul ribs 2 days before the use by date. Brisket actually should go from a couple weeks to 40 days past the "packed on" date, but that's a whole different animal. Literally..

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here