Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greetings from Rochacha NY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings from Rochacha NY

Finally joined the Pit! Glad to be here. I am in Rochester, NY aka Western NY (~420 mile from NYC ;-)

I am a long time home brewer of fine ales, a bit of a geek (own for too many gadgets) and an avid cook.

My brother lives in Austin TX and during a visit a few years back, smoked up some ribs, chicken and brisket on an offset stick burner. Wow, fantastic. Here in Rochester NY, we have a few good BBQ places (Dinosaur BBQ is #1 here) but the thought of making my own was compelling and a challenge. I came back to Rochester and ended up buying a propane vertical smoker. Not bad BBQ, I live on 8+ acres with many shag bark hickory, wild black cherry and some apple trees - so good access to good local woods. My ribs come out very good (IMHO), chicken great, Brisket - ahh, 1 out of 3 was good.... :-(

I use Amazingribs.com as my main source of info - and have given the site name to many friends that show an interest in smoking. I was recently getting the idea to ditch the vertical and go something more upscale. Almost bought a pellet - but the thought to too much auto-pilot made me concerned.
    Read Max's review of the Karubecue (KBC) - sounded like the ideal smoker for me. Renewed my faith in trying a brisket again!

It should arrive day after tomorrow (Thursday Sept 1)! Bill (KBC man) has been great at answering questions, etc.

Showing my geek side, I am thinking of adding a Raspberry Pi little computer to the KBC. Plan on measuring time/temp (both ambient and inside the box) and both fans on the unit.

Hey, might as well do something between adding wood!

Welcome to the Pit!!! Dinosaur BBQ is kinda what got me into BBQ. My Dad bought me their cook book years ago and the rest is history. Their "Mutha Sauce" is amazing.

Your gonna love your KBQ. It makes some unbelievable briskets. (unbelievable everything really). And don't be shy to put grate on top of that fire box to sear up some steaks, roasts or chops. I have included a link below that will take you to our KBQ Bible page. It has pretty much everything us KBQ owners have done. You will find a lot of helpful information and pictures as well.

Again, Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Originally posted by Spinaker View Post
      Welcome to the Pit!!! Dinosaur BBQ is kinda what got me into BBQ. My Dad bought me their cook book years ago and the rest is history. Their "Mutha Sauce" is amazing.

Your gonna love your KBQ. It makes some unbelievable briskets. (unbelievable everything really). And don't be shy to put grate on top of that fire box to sear up some steaks, roasts or chops. I have included a link below that will take you to our KBQ Bible page. It has pretty much everything us KBQ owners have done. You will find a lot of helpful information and pictures as well.

Again, Welcome to the Pit!

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...q-~-has-landed
      Thanks Spinaker - I read the entire KBQ has Landed thread. You make some fine BBQ!!! I will let you know how the first smoke goes.

Also, Dino makes a nice BBQ sauce. PM me and I can send more info.

Comment

Greetings from Colorado ... and welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Welcome JGrana

Comment

Welcome (you beat me by a few hours). Be sure to give us a blow-by-blow on the KBQ - I'm getting equipment lust for the first time in several years.

- Ed

Comment

• Breadhead
              Breadhead commented
              Editing a comment
              Ed... You've joined the Pit. You're falling into the MCS trap that is very common for new Pit members.

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              I've been involved in MCS equivalents with a lot of my interests Breadhead . Very familiar with the overall disease! ;-)

• Breadhead
              Breadhead commented
              Editing a comment
              EdF ... I will say this about your interest in the KBQ... I think that cooker is the cats meow of stick burners. I've nearly pull the trigger on it many times. However, I'm not an insomniac and I value my sleeping time in my very comfortable bed. BGE + DigiQ Dx2 = 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep.😆

Welcome to The Pit JGrana. It's great to have you here and thank you for your support! Congrats on the KBQ!

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members. It contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:
            • Give us an email address you actually use. You can set or change your email on file with us by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Notifications tab.
            • Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We never spam! This is important to receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

See you around The Pit!

Comment

Welcome to fun in the Pit!

Comment

Welcome to the pit.

Comment

Welcome from Indiana

Comment

Welcome to The Pit JGrana! Nice intro, and mice to meet you. Thanks for the support. We'd love to see some bragging pictures of that shiny new KBQ when it arrives!

Comment

Welcome to the pit, enjoy the Wikipedia of BBQ.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here