Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scot from PA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scot from PA

I was thrilled to hear about the Pitmaster Club today as this site has played a huge role in my bbq development. As briefly as I can, I was bitten by the bbq 'bug' about a year and a half back and I give credit for that to Meathead and AmazingRibs.com. My wife, on the other hand, blames Meathead but has come to accept that this bbq thing is not so bad after all.

It started innocently enough...I had purchased a Weber Kettle and promptly failed on my first couple of tries at dinner for the family. My wife - being from a family that could be described as “a little bit (extremely) paranoid” about undercooked meat â€" was not pleased. And who could blame her? We had recently been to a freinds house â€" whose wife had declared him to be a grillmaster - where we were served raw â€" and I’m not talking a little undercooked or a little pink, I’m talking raw on the inside â€" hamburgers, followed the next week by raw chicken.

So, fearing my wife would never eat another thing cooked on a grill I decided I’d better figure out how to do it right. A quick search led to this website and the rest is history. When I started that search I knew nothing; I mean I could tell a burger from a chicken thigh, but I was pretty clueless about it all to say the least. That first night I read and perused this site until the sun came up. Told my wife all about this site I had found and about this guy Meathead…she just gave me a look. But when I started to explain how “Meathead says” you have to have a good digital thermometer (because cooking without a thermometer is like driving without a speedometer) so you know when that chicken is safe to eat; and how “Meathead says” undercooked ground meat can kill, and on and on…she started to realize that this guy was probably a good guy for me to learn from. So I did. I’ve read most everything on this site over the past year and return here often to brush up and check out recipes. My wife is thrilled when I cook and we have her whole paranoid family (and I mean that in the nicest way ) over for dinner quite often where they eat and genuinely enjoy the food.
    The biggest compliment came from my daughter last month as she called my wife one afternoon and said she and her husband were planning on going into the city for dinner, but they just wanted to check to see if dad was cooking tonight. Dinner reservations cancelled and another wonderful night with family.

Of course the kettle led to the WSM which led to the PBC, and now trying to convince the wife that “Meathead says” it’s better to get an even larger cooker, but she wants to see that one in writing. I’d purchase another membership or 3 if you guys could make that happen!

What an awesome post, Scott! Welcome aboard. Great job filling out your signature too. (Two Thermapens too? Wow, no wonder your wife is questioning another cooker ) The biggest compliment you can get is when people tell you your cooking is better than a restaurant. I've been there before and the feeling is awesome! I've had several older guys who are friends of the family tell me my ribs "are every bit as good as _____'s ribs" and "________'s ribs don't hold a candle to yours." AmazingRibs scores again!

We look forward to more posts from you, the help we can provide you, and the help you can share with us too! We all learn from each other 'round here.

Comment

• Scot L
      Scot L commented
      Editing a comment
      Aaron, I know...2 Thermapens suggests I may have at least the start of a problem. But I've got it under control...I think.

Scot . . . love your post! Reminds me of my BBQ "experimenting" before I found this terrific site (Kudos to Meathead and all the moderators who "make it happen!"). I've learned soooo much that membership in the PIT was the LEAST I could to do support its content.

Comment

• Scot L
      Scot L commented
      Editing a comment
      Couldn't have said it better Mike!

Or, Scot, you could do like we did in my olden days as an engineer/programmer. If we had a bug we couldn't fix, we documented it and called it a "feature"!

So, what you had was "steak tartare"! Thrilled that your grillin's winnin'!

Please to meet you.

Comment

• Scot L
      Scot L commented
      Editing a comment
      Ozric I like the way you think And great to meet you too!

Howdy Scot, where from in PA? I'm in the NW Philly burbs.

Comment

• Scot L
      Scot L commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Suburb-e-q, I'm in the SW Philly burbs...Prospect Park area. I have quite a few friends, family and co-workers up in your area come to think of it.

Welcome to the pit Scott. It always great to hear of others successes. I was touch by the fact your daughter canceled dinner plans to eat with the family. It cant get any better then that.

Comment

• Scot L
      Scot L commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you fmjr! I agree, being able to do this for those closest to me who really do enjoy it is the best I could ask for.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here