Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to smoking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to smoking

We have had a Holland gas grill which works great. We have a few friends that have electric smokers, but wanted to go with a Weber 22" kettle and a SNS. I tried my first ribs which were very smoky and juicy but not as tender as I hoped. I'm anxious to try new techniques. We love pork loins and was looking for any tips on them or if pork butt is better to start with. Thanks!

welcome!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! You'll find some good ideas here: http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porknography/index.html

and here: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...d-pork-ham-etc

Comment

Welcome Suemoe1

Comment

Welcome from Indiana.

The Holland grills are nice. My dad has 2 of them and he really likes them. I get frustrated with them though because there just really isn't any good way to control the temp (at least on the ones he has).

The kettle and SnS are a great combo!

Ribs that are too tough are sometimes under cooked. I recommend checking out Meathead's Last Meal Ribs if you haven't done so already.

Pork loin is one of my all time favorites to smoke because it is delicious, takes less time than a butt, and you can slice it and serve it by itself or put it on some bread and make a great sandwich

Typical recipe, process , and tips for me doing pork loin:
          ~inject with some apple juice or pork injection of your choice (optional)
          ~slather with some horseradish mustard (optional)
          ~generous coating of your preferred rib rub
          ~wrap it in a bacon basket weave (optional)
          ~smoke at 250-275 until internal temp hits 145

What you start with between pork loin and pork butt is entirely up to you. A pork loin will start to dry out fast after 140-145 so you need to watch it a lot closer. A pork butt is a lot more forgiving cut of meat, which is preferable when you are learning a new piece of equipment. It can stand the temperature fluctuations with little detriment to the cook than a lot of other cuts of meat... but... it obviously takes a lot longer (3 to 4 times longer) to finish than a pork loin.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Suemoe1. It's great to have you here and thank you for your support.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members. It contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

See you around The Pit!

Comment

Thanks for the information. I will work on my homework too!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! I recommend giving a Boston Butt a try. It is the most forgiving piece I know.

Comment

Hi Suemoe1 and welcome!

As someone else pointed out, the likely reason your ribs weren't as tender as you would like is that they needed to cook longer. Tough ribs means they weren't on long enough. If you overcook, they will be falling off the bone and mushy, not tough.

I highly recommend cooking a pork butt a few times. It is easy, and very forgiving, to cook. It tastes great. And it gives you a chance to learn the techniques before you move onto more challenging stuff. Plus I love pulled pork, so I always recommend that. :-)

I love smoked pork loin. It is also a pretty easy, forgiving, cook. I do a stuffed pork loin (just use stovetop stuffing). First, I dry brine the loin for 2+ hours, and then I cut the pork loin in half length-wise. but leaving about half an inch of meat on one side to act as a hinge. I put as much stuffing on top of that piece of meat as I can fit, close it up, and tie it every 1.5 inches, or so, with butcher's twine. It takes about 1 hour 45 minutes at 250 to hit 145 F internal temp. I'd pull at 140-145. Carve into thick pork chop slices. Yum. Like so

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	179
Size:	176.1 KB
ID:	209512 Click image for larger version

Views:	125
Size:	186.7 KB
ID:	209513

Comment

Welcome aboard Suemoe1. Keep pokin around & reading & experimenting & things will get amazingly better. Enjoy the ride!

Comment

Welcome to the pit, enjoy the Wikipedia of BBQ.

Comment

Suemoe1, Welcome to The Pit! You are Now Enrolled in the BBQ Univ.! Attendance and Participation are Mandatory! I use a Weber and S 'n S Combo as Well! I also have a DigiQ DX-2 Temp Controller and a SS Baffle!
                        Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Views:	118
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	209734 Click image for larger version

Views:	120
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	209735 Click image for larger version

Views:	117
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	209736 Click image for larger version

Views:	121
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	209737 Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	129
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	209738 Click image for larger version

Views:	115
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	209740

Size:	189.8 KB
ID:	209739

Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	209741 Click image for larger version

Views:	125
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	209742

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Suemoe1! Thanks for joining up with us, we're happy to have you here.

I like to smoke my pork loins at 325+. I like how that gets them done fast and they seem to stay juicier, plus it gets them a nice golden brown. I'm also a fan of wet brining loins and loin chops. Mmmm. Funny, I have loin chops and a loin roast on the kettle with the SnS as we speak!

Comment

Welcome to the pit. This is a great place to find information on getting started.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here