Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from the Great White North

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from the Great White North

Hi all.
    My name is Andy and I live in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. For those of you 'in the know', I am at Grid EN19MV.

I'm in my 50's and have been grilling since I was a teenager, About 20 years ago, I bought a stand-up water smoker to get into this mysterious world of BBQ that I had heard of. Lots of mistakes, a few successes, and I was getting pretty good at it. About 12 years ago, I bought a cheap hardware store side smoker to 'up my game' and did pretty well with it. Despite its limitations, I was able to turn out some tasty stuff.

Last year I built a UDS to use out at our trailer - and am LOVING IT! Currently, I am designing and building a temperature controller for that one. Control is achieved from a remote unit with about a 100' range, a 4 line by 20 character LCD display, and only three buttons for all functions. I plan to add WiFi to it for REALLY remote control!

On Boxing Day last year, I bought a 30" Masterbuilt digital electric for use at home - mostly for the convenience. Despite the reviews, I have had no problems with it, and have been impressed with the ease of use. I plan to store it inside for the winter - it gets pretty cold here. I recently did a pork shoulder (Used Chris Lily's world champion recipe) and took some to a co-worker that had asked to try it. A couple of weeks later, he complained that I had ruined BBQ restaurants for him! When I asked him why, he said that the pulled pork he had at a local restaurant was terrible compared to mine. I felt pretty good about that.

Our new gas grill out at the trailer included a rotisserie burner and the rotisserie motor, etc. Since I have never done that kind of chicken before, I decided to give it a go last night.

I used the dry brining technique I had read about here, I dry brined for 24 hours. Then I made a 'poultry pack' seasoning with the addition of a little cayenne. Rubbed it on, trussed the bird, and let it go.

The result? Glistening, dark brown skin, and the most tender and juicy meat any of us had ever tasted! My wife, brother-in-law and I all agreed it was the best chicken any of us had ever had! I also made a mushroom Marsala sauce since my wife loves putting that on chicken.

I have lurked here for a couple of years and decided it was time to join. Thanks everyone for a FANTASTIC site! I have learned so much. In fact, my BBQ category in my favorites has only one entry - this site!

Welcome to the Pit!! If your into Modifying your rift our going to fit right in. I also love my drum smoker. (PBC) That trailer sounds like quite the set up.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit andy.wpg! Fantastic intro! It's great to have you here, and thanks for your support. You sound like quite an accomplished pitmaster already!

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Greetings Andy ... and welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Welcome aboard andy.wpg. Glad to have you here and looking forward to interacting with you. If you have any photos of your cooks we would love to see them! See you around The Pit.

Comment

Welcome andy.wpg

Comment

Welcome to the Pit

Comment

Originally posted by Spinaker View Post
                Welcome to the Pit!! If your into Modifying your rift our going to fit right in. I also love my drum smoker. (PBC) That trailer sounds like quite the set up.
                It is nice. Its a campground with 200 spots - each spot has sewer, water and 30A power. My wife's family has been going there for 30 years. We have our trailer in a permanent spot with a 200 square foot deck and a shed.

Nice manmade lake, and lots of nice people (a couple of them have some pretty impressive pits). The best part is that its 10 minutes from home. When you're there you don't even know you're a few minutes outside the city.

As for modding things - can't help myself! Been that way since I was a kid.

Comment

Welcome aboard Andy from the great white north. I'm from the frozen tundra. I know it does'nt get quite as cold here as in your neck of the woods. But, hey, it sounds cool. You are right about this site, it is amazing (I did'nt get paid for saying that). What you can learn here beats anything out there, mainly beacause of the multiple tinkerers/doers & the interaction that is available. Enjoy the ride!

Comment

Welcome andy.wpg. Enjoy The Pit!

Comment

Hello from Calgary, go Flames!

Comment

andy.wpg, Welcome to The Pit! You are Now Enrolled in the BBQ Univ.! Attendance and Participation are Mandatoy! Upstream from You!
                        Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! We are glad you're here! 😎

Comment

Welcome to the addiction!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here