Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Texas BBQ in New Jersey? I hope so!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texas BBQ in New Jersey? I hope so!

Hello All!
    I am happy to be a part of the site. I have enjoyed cooking all my life and have done a lot of grilling and a little bit of smoking/BBQ. I started out with gas growing up and early in my adult life, but I have drifted towards charcoal over the last several years. I have long admired the skills of the pit masters and I have decided to jump in and try to gain some skills. All of this was kickstarted recently with my awesome wife who told me we should get a nice grill for cookouts in our yard. My 22" Weber kettle didn't cut it on the 4th of July when we had a lot of people over. So, my plan is to do a lot of research, eventually get a good offset smoker, and start with grilling and shorter cooks to gain some comfort. After that, I will move towards the longer and more difficult cooks assuming I get can handle the shorter stuff. I started off the research phase of this plan recently, which led me to this site. It is an amazing resource. I have ordered Meathead's Book and the Franklin Barbecue book. So far, the central Texas style definitely appeals to me. I definitely like the more academic/scientific approach to understanding the principles and techniques before trying to build practical skills.

My other hobbies are traditional woodworking (no electricity), lifting weights, and landscaping/gardening. I work in the investment management field. I am married with three kids and two step sons. Thanks to all and I look forward to what comes next!

Bryan Lloyd

Where in NJ are you? Found these beef ribs in Toms River 😀😀😀
    Attached Files

Comment

• BryanLloyd
      BryanLloyd commented
      Editing a comment
      I am in Hillsborough, about 20 minutes north of Princeton, so Toms River would be a hike. Thanks for the reply!

Welcome, BryanLloyd ! Glad to see you here! Good luck in your offset search! You can get a lot of help here, including Max Good's reviews.

Comment

Are you looking for purveyors or places?

I recently got two butts in Manasquan.
      Old school butcher.
      欢迎访问国产精品麻豆,2021国产麻豆剧兔子先生老狼,国产麻豆区二区是一款超有趣的短视频app,提供ios苹果下载/安卓下载。麻豆视频入口,麻豆app下载能够随时在线查看视频直播,而且这里拥有海量的美女主播,个个颜值都非常的高,风格各式各样,应有尽有,总有你喜欢的,可以随时和美女主播进行零距离互动。

My buddy's market is as good as it gets with meats (IMO) dry aged steaks, etc. will do a traditional porchetta for you.
      Www.mossutosmarket.com

For places there are two.
      (would not call them "texas-style") .

Local Smoke - Neptune
      Localsmokebbq.com

New Jersey bbb - Belmar
      Award-winning barbecue restaurant and catering with locations in Point Pleasant Beach and East Brunswick, NJ.

Great smo-fried wings.

Both of the cats compete KCBS I believe.

Have not been to it in a while but http://www.njbbq.com is a legitimate KCBS sanctioned competition.

Good luck.

Comment

• BryanLloyd
        BryanLloyd commented
        Editing a comment
        That is great information. Thank you!

If you want an all purpose charcoal grill that can handle direct heat grilling, indirect heat for baking/roasting and indirect low and slow (smoking), in your research is highly recommend looking at the Hasty-Bake line of grills. For 5+ years that was my sole grill/smoker and it handled everything from searing a steak to smoking a brisket.

Also, welcome!

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        I've got the Hasty-Bake Gourmet .... I've done 4 pork butts, 6 racks of ribs in rib stands, 3 racks of ribs flat, 2 18 lb turkeys, 36 chicken thighs, 4 tri-tips, a whole packer brisket .... Not sure how much capacity you are looking for. And the examples I'm giving I wasnt' challenged for space

• BryanLloyd
        BryanLloyd commented
        Editing a comment
        That is more than I would have thought. I will need to reconsider.

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        To be clear, not all at once ;-) ..... But 4 large pork butts was easy and only occupied the indirect side of the grill. With the deflector plate in place and strategic water pans, I could probably have done 2 more pork butts on that cook without a problem.

Welcome to The Pit BryanLloyd. It's great to have you here. Thank you for your support. Great introduction!

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members. It contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

See you around The Pit!

Comment

We are starting to be overrun by Joisey guys. Pretty soon the talk will be of Jersey BBQ. Welcome aboard & enjoy the ride!

Comment

• Atalanta
          Atalanta commented
          Editing a comment
          Look at it this way, us Northerners don't want to have to cross the Mason Dixon for good BBQ. We want to do it ourselves.

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Joisey here too!

Welcome to the Pit. I too have enjoyed the scientific and academic way of learning. I normally have to search and search for the information I need. But this site and Meatheads book is awesome. You will enjoy the friendly people on this site as well. We all have one thing in common. Cooking greatness... for us, family and friends.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit BryanLloyd! Happy to have you here.

Comment

Greetings, Bryan ... and welcome to the Pit!

Comment

BryanLloyd here's a few pics of my Hasty-Bake Gourmet in action with a buttload of meat on it just so you can see capacity

This is 3 racks of back ribs laid flat ... occupies the whole indirect side. Long before I had a Maverick ET-732. Old pic here
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0555.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	266.3 KB
ID:	206596

24 chicken thighs for chicken teriyaki. I have had 36 on there, which is getting a bit challenging to manage

Name:	IMG_4125.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	206597

2 tri-tips, 5 chicken breasts and a bunch of sausage ... brats cook well on the top rack, then I give 'em a sear on the direct side

Name:	IMG_4453.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	206598

4 boneless pork butts from Costco ... each weighs about 8 lbs. I could have easily put 2 more on.

Name:	IMG_5814.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	206599

Comment

• BryanLloyd
                BryanLloyd commented
                Editing a comment
                That is helpful. It can definitely hold more than I thought.

Welcome BryanLloyd

Comment

Hey now from North Jersey @bryanloloyd! Welcome

Comment

• BryanLloyd
                  BryanLloyd commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hey! Hillsborough here.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here