Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time to get serious about grilling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time to get serious about grilling

So here is the situation... I am moving into a new house with a huge deck, and I have budgeted $1500 for a grill(s). I've only ever grilled with charcoal, but it might be time to try gas. I'm not sure what to get... but it seems like a gas grill with a infrared section might be good?

Welcome kevin_frisch

Comment

Welcome kevin_frisch! We're glad you're here. Charcoal beats gas so think about keeping a charcoal option handy.

Comment

• kevin_frisch
        kevin_frisch commented
        Editing a comment
        don't worry -- not chance I will go "gas only"

Welcome to The Pit kevin_frisch! Tough choice, since there are so many options. Charcoal is arguably the tastier option, but gas is clearly the cleanest/most convenient.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

• kevin_frisch
        kevin_frisch commented
        Editing a comment
        added to safelist!!!

Save $1000 by getting this and a Slow n Sear
      Attached Files

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
        fuzzydaddy commented
        Editing a comment
        That's beautiful.

• kevin_frisch
        kevin_frisch commented
        Editing a comment
        people here really love webers! I somehow thought they were a super common brand, that those "in the know" would scoff at!

• Fine Swine
        Fine Swine commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't know...I really love the bigger 26". No table though. The Weber Charcoal Summit is right at your budget.

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

For a couple hundred more dollars you could get a new Mak wood pellet grill with the new FlashFire Igniter. I would argue that it gets up to temp about as fast as a gas grill & matches one for convenience. That being said, I also love my Weber Genesis EP310 gas grill. There are lots of good choices out there. Check out the grill reviews on AmazingRibs... I found them to be very helpful.

Comment

• kevin_frisch
        kevin_frisch commented
        Editing a comment
        A few people have suggested pellet... I had not even know that category existed. I'm going to try and learn more about it! What do you like it over charcoal or gas?

• kenrobin
        kenrobin commented
        Editing a comment
        I own charcoal, gas & pellet grills. I'd lean towards a Webber kettle for grilling & a pellet for smoking while away at the office. Even if you don't go w/ MAK, a Rec Tec, Camp Chef or Green Mountain pellet would get the job done. You could buy both & stay within your budget.

• kevin_frisch
        kevin_frisch commented
        Editing a comment
        For pellet, I think a remote control and integrated meat probe seem useful. Thinking MAK1 or Green Mountain.... Any thoughts on why one is $1000 more than the other?

Broil King Baron, Weber 26" with SnS, and you are good to go. Saves you about $500

Comment

• kevin_frisch
        kevin_frisch commented
        Editing a comment
        Don't I want infrared for my gas grill? The Broil King looks nice, but lacks that. Am I being foolish? And I was also reading that cast iron grates are more trouble than they are worth. Do you disagree?

• Thunder77
        Thunder77 commented
        Editing a comment
        Lots of argument about cast iron grates. I love mine. I also love the stainless steel grates on my Weber 22!

• Thunder77
        Thunder77 commented
        Editing a comment
        Also, the Baron will get hot enough for a sear without infrared.

Welcome and buying a new gril is fun. Learning to use it is even more fun. The horizon classic looks cool and is very fun and it will last a lifetime. I love to hang out tinker with it all day.

Comment

• kevin_frisch
        kevin_frisch commented
        Editing a comment
        OK.. that looks AMAZING.... but might be a little much for me at the moment!

Welcome. You say charcoal only, but on what? And what do you think you want to do? Do you want to "just" grill burgers and dogs for family, or smoke brisket for 50? Are you the type of person who wants convenience, or do you mind tending a fire all night long? How you answer these questions will affect what gear you need.
      If you are not sure, don't spend any more than absolutely necessary until you do know. Assuming you are not totally sure yet, I'd suggest a Weber 22.5" kettle and a Slow N Sear. (I have the Performer Deluxe similar to the one pictured above and love it.) If you think you will be cooking for more than family, the 26" Weber with Slow N Sear might make more sense. The combo of kettle and SnS will allow you to both grill and smoke, and to do them very well with a little help from AR and the fine folks on this forum.

If you can answer any of these questions, let us know and you will get lots of great advice.

Comment

• kevin_frisch
        kevin_frisch commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for your input. I like the "start out with something, and then figure out what you need" approach. Sometimes I get so excited about getting everything right initially that I take 6 months to buy something.

• kevin_frisch
        kevin_frisch commented
        Editing a comment
        I'd like
        - quick steak for two people (small gas grill with an infrared burner?).
        - Large charcoal grill -- party of 6- 20 people with. (is being able to adjust distance important?)
        - smoker (no, not a brisket for 50 - yet). Needs to be OK to leave for several hours at a time.

Welcome! I also am a new member, this site rocks. I went through the grill buying process last month. When I looked at all the things I wanted to do with my grill (smoke, slow cook, sear, get things on and off quickly on occasion) I determined that one grill really couldn't do it all and I went with two--the Weber 26" kettle with slow and sear xl and a propane Weber genesis 310 professional with stainless steel grates. Although I use the kettle 90% of the time the propane one is nice to have when time is tight or when I have two cooks going simultaneously. All in, the total cost was under your $1500 price point and I couldn't be happier with my choices. Also there are plenty of add ons like rotissiere, grill grates, etc that you can add on for fun as time goes on, although the 22.5 kettle has way more toys available from weber and aftermarket than the 26". Anyways, have fun with the buy process and more fun cooking after!

Comment

• kevin_frisch
        kevin_frisch commented
        Editing a comment
        nice. What do you use for smoking?

• Mitrakas
        Mitrakas commented
        Editing a comment
        Weber 26 and slow and sear. Works great

Welcome from Indiana...

Kevin...

To answer your question about gas grills.... I would look at Weber options before I would look at anything else.
      I prefer charcoal but sometimes the convenience of gas is just too handy so I keep a little Weber Q that gets some use for the me and the misses.

If you are looking for various grills (since your post had a (s) after grill)... Then depending on capacity here are some recommendations:

Charcoal: Weber 22.5 performer delux with Slow'N'Sear plus with GrillGrates. With the S'n'S option it will give you the most versatility... Smoking, Grilling, Searing, convenient place for drip pan under neath to catch juices... etc.. plus you will get the convenience of the gas start.
      If you need larger capacity then get the Weber 26.5 w/ S'n'S.

Pellet: I would seriously give RecTec a consideration. They are a quality pellet cooker with great features and options, customer service, and a lot of versatility... Again I would consider getting GrillGrates for them. Personally I love the two tone color they have on their original... however they did just come out with an all black option which looks sharp too.

Gas grill and Smoker option: I would still look at the Weber for a Gas grill then go and spend $300 on a Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC).

Comment

• kevin_frisch
        kevin_frisch commented
        Editing a comment
        I was looking at teh RecTec and it seems to be missing two things -- remote control (I'm planning on leaving it unattended when I go to work), and an integrated meat probe. What do you think about the Green Mountain?

• Nate
        Nate commented
        Editing a comment
        kevin_frisch I'm not as up to speed on the green mountains but I know they have a good review on here. I bet if you really are interested & called RecTec & said this is what I'm looking for can it be done? that they would give you a straight up answer or may even have solution for you.

kevin_frisch - welcome to The Pit and welcome to The Obsession!

As for getting a new cooker, I would urge you to consider a kamado style cooker. Kamados are the most versatile cookers you can purchase. Kamados are charcoal burners that can be used as a smoker, grill, roaster, and an oven for baking pizzas, desserts, cobblers, pies, cakes, etc. Any thing you can cook in your kitchen can be easily done on a kamado and because it uses lump charcoal, the flavor is superior to anything cooked indoors. For the $1,500 you have budgeted you can get into an excellent kamado cooker. I would heartily recommend you examine the Kamado Joe Big Joe with its Divide and Conquer cooking system. That sized kamado will provide you with the size and flexibility to cook for 1 to big parties of 40 or more without breaking a sweat. It's a very versatile cooker.

So, again, welcome to The Pit and welcome to The Obsession!

Comment

• kevin_frisch
        kevin_frisch commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks! Is the Big Green Egg a kamado style cooker? I was looking at those, but my brain melted down a bit. The one thing I was worried about is that you can't really sear with it right?

Welcome kevin_frisch. We're glad you're here!

Comment

• kevin_frisch
        kevin_frisch commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks! I've very excited!

kevin_frisch I would look at a Broil King Keg, Kamado Joe or a Primo Oval XL. As Ceramic Chef mentions, they are very versatile. Don't get anything gas, especially if your trying to smoke on it too. A Hasty Bake is also an awesome option. Just my two cents.

Comment

• kevin_frisch
        kevin_frisch commented
        Editing a comment
        It seems clear that I am getting a least two grills... that said, are there charcoal/kamado cookers that I can use for smoking that I can leave on some sort of auto pilot while I go to the office? or do they all need to be tended to?

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        The all will, with the right accessories. Digi que. BBQ guru are just a few set and forget accessories out there. kevin_frisch You may also want to look at pellet rigs.

• Porterdriver
        Porterdriver commented
        Editing a comment
        At your price point the new Weber Summit Charcoal Grill seems to hit those marks. It can sear, low and slow, smoke, and is double wall insulated akin to the thick ceramic of the kamado so can do several hours unattended. IMHO

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here