Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from VA!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from VA!

Hi everyone, my name's Chris. I live in southeastern Virginia, right near the NC border. A little about me: I joined the army out of high school, airborne infantry for 7 years, a few combat deployments under my belt, and got out honorably with a pretty good size disability rating (should've went to college, haha!) After that I went to school part time, and worked several entry level/ labor jobs while going to school part time to get my 2 year degree. Met my wife, had some kids, and now I'm working on getting my teaching license.

I'm new to the world of grilling (other than a few burgers and hotdogs on cheapo $20-$30 grills), and as you can probably guess from my username, I have a COS. I know, I know, but I didn't know about this website before I bought it, and the customer reviews I'd read seem to have been written by people like myself, people who either didn't know any better or didn't aspire to truly GREAT BBQ. Got my COS about a week and a half ago, and have since invested almost as much in modifications as I did on the grill itself. Managed to get it more or less sealed up, put in a baffle, etc etc. Still leaks WAY more than I'd like it to, but I'm so far managing to keep the temp more or less consistent (I have a range of 228-245, and I can usually keep it at one temp for a good 45 minutes to an hour before I have a 5-6 degree shift). Today (Sunday) I'm doing my first "real" cook. Got a 7 lb butt on the grill, doing everything by the book (Meathead's book that is ). Learned a ton so far from the general website, learning a lot about my smoker from my dry runs and my current cook, and I look forward to learning a lot here in the forum! When my COS kicks the bucket, I'd like to invest in building a nice covered BBQ area in my yard with a brick smoker!

Welcome to The Pit COS_Chris! I love your username and your honesty! We're glad to have you here. If you can maintain 228-245 for 45 min with 5-6degree shifts after 45 min, you are doing EXCELLENT! Who cares if that thing leaks. Leaks only matter if you can't control temps due to the leaks, but you sir sound like you got this down!

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit COS_Chris! We're glad you joined. Thank you for your service. Here's to a great smoked butt. Are you using Meathead's Memphis Dust for your rub?

Comment

• COS_Chris
        COS_Chris commented
        Editing a comment
        I am! Memphis Dust, KC Classic sauce, and Deli slaw, all from the book/website. I made the sauce last night, and everytime I come into the house from outside, STILL the smell is everywhere, delicious, driving me crazy with anticipation to try it on the pork later!

Welcome aboard COS_Chris ! You are now enrolled in BBQ University! Classes are constantly in session.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Greetings, Chris ... and welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Welcome Chris, i'm in great bridge, so based on your description, I suspect i'm pretty close to you...

Comment

• COS_Chris
              COS_Chris commented
              Editing a comment
              Not far at all! I'm in Franklin

Welcome, COS_Chris , and thank you for your service, from northern, VA (Leesburg)!

Good luck with the he butt; sounds like you have it dialed in pretty well, and butts are VERY forgiving!

Comment

Welcome COS_Chris

Comment

Welcome aboard Chris! For a Pit rookie looks like you're swingin the bat like a grizzled old pro, what with all the modifications & such. Whew, just wipin the sweat off my brow thinkin about all your work. You will Enjoy the ride!

Comment

Chris - welcome to The Pit and welcome to The Obsession. I appreciate your service to our country. Best of luck in your new teaching career.

Comment

Welcome to the pit Chris, thank you for your service to our country. Sounds like you are getting things under control for many good cooks to come. ( pics please ) Welcome to the Wikipedia of BBQ.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies and warm welcomes! My first cook went fairly well, but I must say, cooking was a whole different animal than doing my dry runs. My smoker is not very stable to begin with, adding in the meat variable caused all sorts of issues. The first 4 or 5 hours went fine, after that it was a VERY busy day, constantly tweaking my vents trying to get the temp to stabilize. I cooked a 7lb butt, and it ended up taking me 13 hours, and that's with pulling it out at an internal temp of 194. I'm going to learn the quirks of my COS as best I can, but next year might find me with a Pit Barrel Cooker

Comment

Sick of my COS, there's no consistency at all, and it goes through crazy amounts of charcoal. I'm returning it to Lowes today (still within my 90 days, hopefully they'll take it with all the gasket/ seal residue) and ordering a PBC

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here