Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Howdy from Dallas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Howdy from Dallas

Hi, I'm John...and I'm a complete n00b when it comes to cooking outdoors.

I'd like to think I have a pretty decent excuse though:

Click image for larger version

Name:	people-gather-at-a-makeshift-memorial-outside-of-the-dallas-police-picture-id546653248.jpeg
Views:	141
Size:	333.8 KB
ID:	195454

See that building in the background? That's where I live.

I just got married in April, and after our honeymoon my wife and I spitballed the idea of taking the next step and buying a house.

We closed yesterday. (Note that this particular experience had nothing to do with the idea, but she's stated "I can't wait to move" several times in the past week.)

I got paid today, which means the PBC (and assorted accessories) are now Eastbound and Down.

I purchased the PBC because 1) it's (relatively) cheap 2) it's (supposedly) idiot-proof. We're going to test that second assertion.

Welcome to the Pit! What part of Dallas is your home. I live below Northwest and just of Garland.

Comment

• ReddTrain
      ReddTrain commented
      Editing a comment
      Right now I live at South Side on Lamar (across the street from DPD HQ).

The house we bought is technically Lake Highlands, but I never would have considered it that before we bought. We're just north of Royal between Skillman and Abrams.

• LA Pork Butt
      LA Pork Butt commented
      Editing a comment
      ReddTrain Maybe one day we can share a cook. I guess our homes are less than 15 minutes away.
      Last edited by LA Pork Butt; July 16, 2016, 10:57 AM.

Welcome to the Pit, John!

Comment

Welcome ReddTrain

Comment

John - congrats on the nuptials and closing on a new house! Welcome to The Pit and welcome to The Obsession!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! Also, awesome on the PBC! Now, what about a grill for cooking some great steak? You have heard of More Cooker Syndrome, right? If not, just ask Breadhead

Comment

• ReddTrain
            ReddTrain commented
            Editing a comment
            Sous vide + cast iron cooktop griddle does good enough steak for now. More Cooker Syndrome will need to wait for a while.

Welcome to The Pit ReddTrain/ John! It's nice to have you here, cool intro! Congrats on the new house too, how cool is that!

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Congrats on your new house ReddTrain and Welcome to The Pit!

Comment

Welcome to the pit John. Hope the move goes smoothly and your outdoor cooking gets of to a great start. Enjoy the Wikipedia of BBQ. Oh Ya go COWBOYS

Comment

Originally posted by ecowper View Post
                Welcome to the Pit! Also, awesome on the PBC! Now, what about a grill for cooking some great steak? You have heard of More Cooker Syndrome, right? If not, just ask Breadhead
                Welcome to the Pit ReddTrain ... Welcome to BBQ University.πŸ‘

The term of which ecowper refers... MCS, was a humorous post I wrote one nigh after consuming large quantities of adult beverages. I was guilty of TWI... Typing While Intoxicated.😑

However after further reflection... I find that the basic theory is valid. Most Pit members that have been here for a while ALL have more gadgets and cookers than when they signed up. Plus many have remodeled their deck or Patio and bought storage sheds.πŸ˜†

If... You are able to not fall into that trap I will be greatly surprised.πŸ˜†

Here's the original post... https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ooker-syndrome
                Last edited by Breadhead; July 15, 2016, 11:34 PM.

Comment

• ecowper
                  ecowper commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You know I love ya Breadhead

• Breadhead
                  Breadhead commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I feel your vibe ecowper ...πŸ˜†πŸ‘

• Steve R.
                  Steve R. commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I hear you on the TWI, been there done that a time or twelve myself. Nothing like waking up the next morning and deleting a rambling mess that you posted somewhere the night before.

ReddTrain, John, Welcome to the Pitt! You are Now Enrolled in the BBQ Univ.! Attendance is Mandatory! Some exception might be made as You and Your Family get settled in Your New Home! Congratulations to You and Your New Wife a House of your Own and a New Smoker To Boot that's the American Dream in a Nut Shell!
                Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Yup, MCS is going to get ya! It's creepin up your leg like the blob ( I guess that sort of dates me). Welcome aboard, enjoy the ride!

Comment

• ReddTrain
                    ReddTrain commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Considering the amount of guff I got going from 0 to 1, MCS is going to have a formidable foe in SWMBO...

• Breadhead
                    Breadhead commented
                    Editing a comment
                    ReddTrain ... Feed your SWMBO some of your really tasty BBQ and she will become a greatful enabler.πŸ˜† She will NEVER admit you are a better cook than her but... She will love that her kitchen chores are greatly reduced.πŸ‘

• ReddTrain
                    ReddTrain commented
                    Editing a comment
                    She already admits I'm the better cook. I'm the only one that cooks.

When we do our housewarming and I break out 30 lbs of brisket and pulled pork, she'll be convinced of the wisdom of the PBC. It will take that though.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here