Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The obsession

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The obsession

Long time follower, first time poster. I joined the The Pit over the winter and with the business of moving from Indy to west MI over the last few months, haven't made much time for introductions or dedicated near enough time to the business of grilling/smoking. That's finally changing!

A few years ago, with a couple of little ones at home, I found myself needing a hobby that didn't stray too far from the house. What better way than to start smoking meat?!? I stumbled across this site and have been hooked ever since. Started out with a gasser from Gander a few years ago. After getting moved and starting to settle in, I began muttering to my lovely wife that pulled pork and ribs would probably be way better if cooked on a kettle and that maybe we've been missing out. I was recently rewarded with my favorite Father's Day present to date, a 22-in. Webber Kettle (copper of course). When the SnS showed up a few days later, I had to explain that this tool was an absolutely essential piece of the puzzle. After an eye roll, I was off and grilling! Just burgers and some pork chops to date on the kettle, but there is a 12-lb packer dry brining in the fridge that is going on tonight. First time with brisket, so looking forward to it! After reading and rereading the information posted on this site with regard to brisket and the information provided by the good folks at ABC, I'm about as prepped as I can be. As an engineer by trade, unknowns have a tendency to drive me crazy, but we have to crawl before we walk. Hope to get some pictures posted of that brisket as it is going.

Thanks to all for participating and maintaining this amazing site. I've never thought too much of FB or other social media, so my wife laughs and is happy that I've finally found my place. All thanks to AR! (BTW...the AR temperature chart is the only thing mounted on our fridge, and it gets great feedback by all who have seen it!)

Welcome to The Pit stroosa! I enjoyed your introduction. All the best on your brisket smoke and post some photos if you would. See you around The Pit. +1 on the copper (that's what I have).

Comment

Welcome aboard!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit and welcome to The Obsession!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! We're glad you're here!

Comment

Welcome stroosa

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! Don't remain a stranger. Check in and post regularly.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit stroosa! I agree, that was a great intro! Thank you for joining up and supporting us. Congrats on the new kettle and SnS, I too have the copper one, such a beauty. I hope you have a great brisket cook! If you follow Meathead's recipe & advice, and ABCbarbecue.com's SnS-specific instructions, there's no way it won't turn out. ... and if by chance you want someone to taste test it, I am in central MI, so likely not too awful far from you.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Welcome to the pit, enjoy the Wikipedia of BBQ.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome! That brisket turned out great! Some pics are posted over in the Kettle section.

Huskee, I will keep that in mind next time I am in need of Guinea pigs! I grew up less than 15 miles from the marker for the "middle of the mitten," and know central MI all too well!

Comment

Originally posted by stroosa View Post
                      Thanks for the welcome! That brisket turned out great! Some pics are posted over in the Kettle section.

Huskee, I will keep that in mind next time I am in need of Guinea pigs! I grew up less than 15 miles from the marker for the "middle of the mitten," and know central MI all too well!
                      Where & when exactly?? Wondering if we might know each other.

Comment

I was a Huskie (too!) and left the area in '99. My folks still live there though. At a minimum, I am sure we know some of the same people! Hard not to in those towns.

Comment

Originally posted by stroosa View Post
                          I was a Huskie (too!) and left the area in '99. My folks still live there though. At a minimum, I am sure we know some of the same people! Hard not to in those towns.
                          Ok I'll ask, what town(s) are you from? High school graduation year? PM me please if you don't wanna talk about specifics in the open.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here