Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Salutations from Colorado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Salutations from Colorado

Greetings! I have been reading the site for some time and have read the Meathead cookbook from cover to cover. Colorado has little excellent commercial barbecue (perhaps because we have no native hardwoods that grow in significant numbers), so we are taking matters into our own hands! I try to dabble in both classical cooking methods (French and barbecue in particular) and modern techniques (hence my immersion circulator and collection of molecular gastronomy tools and powders). I can proudly say I have had a wider variety of culinary failures than anyone I know.

Welcome to The Pit Edward Hafer. It's great to have you here and thank you for your support.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members. It contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

See you around The Pit!

Comment

Welcome Edward Hafer

Comment

Greetings, Edward and welcome to the Pit! Where in CO? I'm in Parker.

Comment

• Edward Hafer
          Edward Hafer commented
          Editing a comment
          Arvada, near Stanley Lake. Nearly as far from downtown as Parker!

Welcome to the pit, you are a faster reader than me. Enjoy the Wikipedia of BBQ.

Comment

Originally posted by Edward Hafer View Post
          Greetings! I have been reading the site for some time and have read the Meathead cookbook from cover to cover. Colorado has little excellent commercial barbecue (perhaps because we have no native hardwoods that grow in significant numbers), so we are taking matters into our own hands! I try to dabble in both classical cooking methods (French and barbecue in particular) and modern techniques (hence my immersion circulator and collection of molecular gastronomy tools and powders). I can proudly say I have had a wider variety of culinary failures than anyone I know.
          Ed... We were all lurkers before we joined the Pit, welcome my friend.

I get a hint that you might be a fan of the Modernist Cuisine cult... So am I.👍

French Cuisine is all about sauces... I have a tip for you to become a sauce maven. There's only three types of mother sauces and all sauces ever created are a variation of those three sauces. Learn those three sauces and riff on them all you want, never having to follow a recipe again.👌

Culinary failures... If you aren't failing, you aren't trying to push the edge of your abilities enough.

BBQ... You've just joined the Modernist Cuisine of the BBQ world.👌 Sit back, ask questions and let your fellow Pit members walk you through BBQ excellence. It's that simple my friend.👌

Comment

Originally posted by Edward Hafer View Post
            we have no native hardwoods that grow in significant numbers
            What? You mean cottonwood and aspen don't count?
            Last edited by MBMorgan; July 8, 2016, 11:24 PM.

Comment

"...collection of molecular gastronomy tools and powders..."
              Edward Hafer so Can you go into a little detail about the tools and powders!?!? Like where to get good ones and such. I know its not BBQ but still very interesting.

Comment

You wrote "I can proudly say I have had a wider variety of culinary failures than anyone I know." Welcome to the Pit! Experience is a hard teacher. She gives the test first and the lesson afterwards. Practice makes perfect, so with each failure comes a new success. Keep smoking!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit and welcome to The Obsession.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Edward Hafer! It's nice to have you here, thanks for joining up. Molecular gastronomy tools and powders?? Do tell...

Comment

Sorry for the slow reply, I just found the message function on my phone.

I have had a lot of fun with molecular gastronomy powders. My favorites are melting salts - (sodium citrate, sodium phosphate, sodium hexametaphosthate) - these are used in industry to create american cheese, but have an amazing ability to make perfect emulsions out of any cheese. Imagine two year old cheddar made as creamy as velveta, but with perfect old cheddar flavor. Same with other hard, aged cheeses that are usually impossible to properly emulsify.

Methylcellulose (which gels at high temperature but is liquid at low temperature, kinda like reverse gelatin) is pretty nifty stuff to play with - I make consume with lots of smoked pork feet and neck bones and then make Methylcellulose noodles at the table - very nifty presentation, great flavors. David Chang has a great egg recipe that uses methylcellulose to set the egg in a giant, puffy bubble.

Modified starches like UltraTex make amazing gravy, highly recommended.
                    I have also made some really awful stuff, very precise measurements and temperature control are necessary in certain cases. I have managed to get spherification to work, but didn't really think it was that useful.

There is a great free resource on the web that might give you an idea of what crazy things can be produced: http://blog.khymos.org/wp-content/20...ction-v3.0.pdf

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here