Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi. Scott Splatt44

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi. Scott Splatt44

I am relatively new to smoking meats. Love it though. I am learning lots and had the great fortune to meet the leader of the pack Meathead himself this weekend in DC. Thanks for all the tips.

I do Have a question for the group. I just did a 7 day cure on a brisket with the end result being pastrami. I just cut the piece in half and went to submerge it in water. What I found was a pink ring an eighth of an inch thick around the outside and redmeat on the inside. Is this what I should be looking out or do I need to put it back into a cure? If I have to cure longer it will sit for another week, is that ok?

Welcome Splatt44

Comment

Welcome from Inaiana....

Comment

Howdy, Scott! Welcome to The Pit and welcome to The Obsession!

Comment

Splatt44, Welcome to The Pit! You are Now Enrolled in the BBQ Univ.! Attendance is Mandatory! I think the ring is the Result of the Curing Salts, but I think I am going to ask You to check the Recipe Section of A R on this Page! You can do a Search at the top of this Page! I am sure you will be getting Sage Advice from David Parrish or one of several others who post Pastrami recipes and Pics Here!
          Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Splatt44. It's great to have you here. Thank you for your support.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members. It contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

See you around The Pit!

Is this the article you used for curing? This must be followed exactly without any modifications. As Meathead says in the article "If you do it wrong you can kill someone you love. But getting it right is not hard." We don't want anyone to be harmed by eating meat not properly cured.
            Last edited by fuzzydaddy; June 28, 2016, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Welcome @Splat44 to The Pit! We're glad you're here. Unless you followed the AmazingRibs curing recipe EXACTLY there's not much we can do for you. I have to say though it's not a good sign that the pink only penetrated the surface 1/8". I suspect you did not use enough Prague Powder and I do not think your meat is cured.

Comment

Thanks all for the info. I did follow the recipe to the letter. I examined the meat again and think I may have over reacted. I think we're I was in my kitchen was dark. My wife and I took a good look and the meet is very tender and appeared light pink throughout. The line about killing someone made me a little on edge. I'm going to smoke it up tomorrow and look for a great outcome. I appreciate the posts and look forward to many more convos.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Splatt44! We're glad to have you here, and glad that your pastrami is on a good course.

Comment

Welcome to fun in the Pit!

Comment

Greetings, Scott ... and welcome to the Pit!

Comment

I could not have been more wrong. Apparently everything worked the way it was supposed to. Me any my fellow eaters were so happy with the way this batch came out I already started another on curing. Thanks for all the support.

Comment

Splatt44 that's great to hear. Enjoy the next round of pastrami!

Comment

Welcome to the pit, enjoy the Wikipedia of BBQ.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here