Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calling all Traeger users... First time Caller... long time listener...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calling all Traeger users... First time Caller... long time listener...

Hello all. My name is Chuck, live in Southern California, grew up in Texas... I like puppy dogs, long walks on... oh wait, wrong website. I love to eat, and I love to cook, been smoking meats for some time, I am a lazy cook, or I use the excuse I have kids, but I prefer smokers/cookers that have a consistent heat temp i.e. propane/electric. But I think I have found the best of both worlds with my new Traeger Grill, Happy Father's Day to me... shhhh... don't tell the wife how much she paid for it. I do have some questions though and the 30 min hold times to Traeger I killing me( see lazy cook part). Is there a difference between cooking something on the smoke setting or the 225 setting? If I cook something at the 225-275 range will I still get smoke to the meat as opposed to the actual "smoke" setting?

Welcome to The Pit and welcome to The Obsession!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit lifebythedrop38. We're glad you're here!

Comment

Greetings, Chuck ... not a Traeger owner ... but I can still say welcome to the Pit!

Comment

I have a 240 habit. Don't use smoke, just set it at 240 (or around there) and let it cook. But my Traeger pellet fire is very old and starts at smoke, then 240!

Welcome!

Comment

Hmmmm - Chuck is a great name for a backyard BBQer... And welcome.

Comment

Welcome lifebythedrop38

Comment

I used to own a Traeger Junior and a Traeger Texas. I tried using the smoke setting on several occasions with mixed results. The Junior would cycle between 160° and 275° and never settle into the low smoke temperature. The Texas would settle in the 170°-180° range and maintain the temperature no problem. Even then I wasn't getting the heavier smoke flavor I was looking for. I didn't realize at the time that a pellet grill maybe too efficient for its own good. Nowadays if I want more smoke, I'll use a Mojo-Brick or my Amaze-N tube smoker while cooking on my Yoder. Pick your temp, and you're good to go!

Comment

• lifebythedrop38
                lifebythedrop38 commented
                Editing a comment
                My Tube smoker arrives tomorrow! Thanks for the advice!

Fist of all welcome!

I have a Traeger junior that has a smoke/medium/high dial and I use the smoke setting for a number of low cooks but yes it can vary on temp. Some things to keep in mind:

~Pellets are your heat source and will produce some smoker no matter what the setting. That being said the higher the temp the fire is the less of that smoke that will settle on your meat. Oddly enough there is a couple of videos available here in the pit that talk about Smoke and another one that talks about Pellets.

~Pellets smokers produce a more subtle smoke flavor (in my humble opinion) than bbq that has come out of a stick or log burner. Like oldsteve , I too have an Amaze-N-Tube smoker that I use on occasion but it requires a different kind of pellet.

~Not all pellets are created equal. There are fuel source pellets and then there are pellets that are just for adding smoke flavor that you would put in an Amaze-N-Tube, foil pouch, or something of the sort. Also (don't tell Traeger) but other pellets will work on their smoker. My favorite pellets are from BBQr's Delight.

hopefully CandySueQ will jump in with some info. She is the resident pellet cooker guru who has probably forgot more about pellet cookers than many of us will ever know about them.

Comment

• lifebythedrop38
                lifebythedrop38 commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah they scare you pretty good and the whole traeger pellets only and warranties voided etc etc...

• CandySueQ
                CandySueQ commented
                Editing a comment
                BBQr's Delight has been the "other" pellets for a long time! Pellets do matter, flavor choice matters too. My favorite smoking mix is 50/50 pecan/cherry.

I have used the Traegers for about 4 or 5 years now and they do a decent job with flavor but I just was not getting enough of the smoke flavor that I wanted and that is the reason I finally got a Lang and now I have the smoke flavor that I was looking for. I still use the Traegers for quick cooks like fish and chicken wings where you are not going to get that much smoke anyway. I have always used the Traeger pellets so that may have something to do with the smoke flaver also.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit lifebythedrop38! Thanks for your support here. As you've found, The Pit is a great place to get quick answers from some of the best in our area of interest. Candy is the BBQ Queen around these parts and knows anything & everything about pellets...especially BBQer's Delight.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

lifebythedrop38, Welcome to The Pit! You are Now Enrolled in the BBQ Univ.! Attendance is Mandatory! Sorry, I can't help with your Traeger!
                  Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

225 will still give you plenty of smoke on the traeger......perfect temp to use....also, as others have said....experimenting with other pellets is good too....I don't hate the traeger pellets but my preference is bbq delight or if there is a bbq island near you...their store pellets, especially the maple, hickory, cherry blend is great.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here