Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello, and Happy Fathers Day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello, and Happy Fathers Day!

Hi everyone, Northern New Jersey here, and a complete BBQ beginner. Probably about as green as a cook can be. Here's my experience level: hamburgers, hot dogs, the occasional Lloyds rib rack (I know, I know, don't judge). After getting Meatheads book and reading through these posts, I want better. So, for Father's Day, I came up with a list:

26" Weber kettle, Slow and Sear XL, two thermopops, remote thermometer, gloves, silicone baster, charcoal chimney, grill brush, etc.

So, now I'm committed. You don't realize how much real estate is on a 26" diameter cooking area when you've been using a Weber Baby-Q for as long as I have. Wife saw it and said "I'm adding a fire extinguisher". I've planned a few trial runs without food to make sure I can control the temps properly. Looking forward to asking a bunch of newbie questions, so if you see me ask something stupid, remember: hamburger, hot dog, pre-packaged ribs.

Welcome to fun in the Pit!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit CrustyBits. It's great to have you here and thank you for your support. No stupid questions around here. We're always glad to help! That's a very nice list you put together.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members. It contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

See you around The Pit!

Comment

CrustyBits welcome, I love the handle. I'm new here too. No one here (that I have seen) is going to make you feel stupid, judge or make fun of you. I can't speak for the "official" pit people but they all rock! Everyone has been really nice to me. I have a 26" and a 22" kettle. You will love them. I would recomend a thermometer first like a maverick 732 and or an instant read. Maintaining low and slow (225 or so) and knowing the temp of your food are two of the biggest lessons I have personally learned. The advice here in the pit and AR is second to none. Good luck my friend. Hope to see some great pics from your upcoming cooks.

Comment

• CarlP3
          CarlP3 commented
          Editing a comment
          Guest - Couldn't agree more that maintaining low heat and knowing food temp are the biggest lessons learned from AR. Life Changers!!!
          Welcome CrustyBits

Welcome aboard The Pit and welcome to The Obsession!

Comment

Welcome aboard! There are no stupid questions ... although there might be some stupid answers (not around here, though) ...

Comment

Welcome CrustyBits

Comment

Welcome to The Pit CrustyBits! Great to have you here. The 26" kettle with the SnSXL will be a wonderful upgrade, you will love it and all that you can do on it. I'd advise you to get 2 Mavericks though, as opposed to 2 ThermoPops. You'll definitely find a good use for 4 leave-in probes with all the meat you can smoke on the 26".

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here