Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Day 1 and Need some advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Day 1 and Need some advice

Well just joined the gang as I have been all over he sight the last few weeks. My name is Paul and I live in Memphis, TN.....one of the BBQ capitals. I spent about 18 years with a team that competed in an around Memphis, but I was more of a eater than a cooker, so will be brushing up on my skills.
    My advice need is centered around a grill(s) purchase. I am currently a Weber Kettle guy but want to move up. I am pondering a Komodo Kamado (BB32) or going with a much larger charcoal grill (been looking at Klose's, Texas Pit Crafters, Weber rancher and some others) and then coupling that with a Cookshack AmeriQue for the smoker part of the arsenal. I need a new charcoal grill as about once a month I have to cook in waves as I will have more burgers/steak/chicken than I cook at once, which is a pain. The cookshack's concept of set it and forget it is appealing.
    Quite frankly I am intimidated by (the price) and the multiple rack cooking that the KK seems to require. It looks like if I did 8 to 10 really big ribeyes or strips that I would need to cook on two of the racks, which seems to be a lot of work. Am I off here or am I thinking about it correctly? The appeal is that this one cooker does it all versus the two.
    Any suggestions or opinions are greatly valued.

Greetings, Paul ... welcome to the Pit! Remember to give some thought to the new Weber Summit Charcoal Grill, too.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit memphishusky. It's great to have you here. Thank you for your support. Of the cookers you mentioned I have only used Weber Kettles (I have a 22" and a 26") and I see that you want to move up, but a couple of 26" Kettles with a Slow 'n Sear would give you a lot of grilling, smoking and searing capacity. I know that we have member(s) with a Komodo Kamado (BB32). What is your budget? I'm sure that others will chime in soon!

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members. It contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

See you around The Pit!

Comment

Welcome memphishusky

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! I am a BGE guy, so if you want versatility and set it and forget it I would recommend a Kamado. If you mostly grill I would look in a different direction. If volume is your concern I would look at a Weber 26" and. SlowNSear or a Good One. It seems either would fit in your budget easily if you are considering a Kamado Kamado. In fact You could probably get either of those and a different Kamado like a Joe, BGE or Primo.

Comment

memphishusky - welcome to The Pit and welcome to Tje Obsession!

Buddy, today is your lucky day! I own a Komodo Kamado Big Bad 32", aka TheBeast. It is simply the finest kamado I've ever owned in 20+ years of burning lump in a couple BGEs, a couple of Primo Oval XLs, and an Akorn that I bought on a dare. The kamado in general and the KK specifically is the most versatile cooker you can purchase. Kamados are great for grilling, they excel at low-n-slow, are wonderful at baking breads, pizzas, deserts, etc., make smoking a breeze, and they are unparalleled convection ovens. No other single cooker comes close to this kind of versatility.

We are having a discussion on Kamados in the Grills & Smokers Section, under Charcoal, and found in the Kamado thread. Stop on by and check things out. Some of the pics you'll find there are of my KK BB 32, The Beast. You may get some of your questions answered there.

Finally, please don't be intimated by the versatility of the KK BB 32. The KK adapts so very easily to the style and manner of your tastes in cooking, grilling, and smoking and baking. The owner of KK, Dennis Linkletter, is an incredible information source. Give him a call. He'll never pressure you to place an order. He'll speak with as long and as often as you wish. Dennis will answer all your questions. You can find his number on at www.KomodoKamado.com. You'll find him one of the nicest and most engaging people you'll ever know.

If you like, you can private message me and we can talk. Again, welcome!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit memphishusky! Great to have you here. There's no shortage of help here, especially from the kamado guru himself, CeramicChef. Fuzzydaddy brings up a good point too though, for under $1000 you could get yourself two 26" kettles, both with Slow 'N Sear XLs, and have a grand amount of room for low & slow smoking and high heat grilling. Either way you go, please update us all with some bragging pictures!

Comment

I owned a Cookshack Smokette for 10 years and was completely happy with it. Then I read Meathead's article on electric smokers and how the food out of them wasn't as good as a smoker where you have combustion. I purchased a Pit Barrel Cooker and from there went with a Weber Kettle with Slow-n-Sear. After eating food from these units the Smokette pretty much sits unused. I sometimes will smoke beans in it or use it to finish off a pork butt or briskett started in one of the other smokers.

That being said if I was starting from scratch and wanted set-it-and-forget-it I would go with a Pellet Grill such as the Cookshack Fast Eddy's PG500, Mac 1-Star General or the Yoder YS480 Pellet Grills. If you want to get into pellets for less $ take a look at the Rec Tec or the Green Mountain Grills. With all of them you get combustion, temperature probes in your meat, and the ability to set it and forget it. Some even have Wifi so you can monitor your cook on your phone or pad. And all for the same price as or less than the Amerique.

Food for thought.
                Last edited by bep35; June 21, 2016, 01:02 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here