Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from South Texas!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from South Texas!

Hi everyone. I'm Bill and live in Lake Jackson, Tx., just south of Houston. Just retired from Dow Chemical in June and having a ball. Been grilling, BBQ-ing, and smoking meat for as long as I can remember, and thought I was doing great until I got on AmazingRibs.com, and found out I know nothing about smoking. Been going through this site for 5 days, and am overwhelmed. I was never able to get ribs down pat, so I pretty much quit trying years ago. This past weekend (Had some friends over to watch the Texans on Sunday) I made the "Last meal Ribs" and became the hero of the day. They were the best I've ever cooked, and everybody loved them, and I think I can do better. I'm sold on this web site for sure. I also Brew the beer I drink. Been homebrewing for 15 years or so, and make some great beer. I spent my youth growing up in upstate NY, then 2 years in college in KY, then 4 years in the USAF. This was Vietnam Era service, but I spent my service time in the states and Germany. I got into Commercial Diving with Oceaneering and spent one year in Morgan City, LA., then moved to Texas on the Gulf coast and stayed in Diving for another 14 years. Health issues stopped my Diving career and I got on with Dow and had a great 21 years with them. I've had quite an array of smokers over the years, from old refrigerators, to homemade smoke boxes made of wood with a firebox attached to aluminum charcoal pits, gas grills and gas water smokers. I've been using a "Great Outdoors" Smokey Mountain Series gas water smoker for the last 5 years or so. I'm probably going to get something new this winter, maybe a Weber One touch Gold 22.5" smoker/grill. Have a lot of looking to do before I buy. I have a Thermapen from Thermalworks I use in the house and with the grills. I also have a Dual Thermocouple Thermometer by Barnant I use in the Brewery and sometime grilling. I also have a couple of AcuRite digital thermometers I use. Besides brewing beer, I roast my own coffee, bird hunt, fish and play golf. Plenty to keep me out of trouble. I hope to be a regular on here from now on. Cheers!

Hey Bill, thanks for support and welcome!!

We had to go to Morgan City in high school to play sports. Quite a drive in a school bus from southwest Louisiana.

Get any doves??

Comment

Oh yea. Had a great opening weekend. Most everyone got limits the first two days. The first day was all morning dove and then on day two we changed fields and got limits of the big birds, White Wings. Had a great tine.

Comment

Wow, all we had was Mourning back in La. Hated trying to hit them punks.

Archery next Saturday......I'm stoked....

Comment

Hi brewbetter Bill! Glad to have such a well-rounded guy as yourself here. I've dabbled in homebrewing myself but my inexperience in it led me to trying to master BBQ instead, to much better results.

Great job on your signature! Be sure to check out Pit Boss' Welcome and Announcements channel if you haven't already, the tips posts in that channel will help you also learn the best way to post some nice big photos here for everyone to enjoy. Have fun!

Comment

Hey Bill, WELCOME!

Comment

Thank you for your military service, you must have done your job because I never heard of the viet cong invading Germany or the US.

Comment

Bill welcome to The Pit! That's the most informative first post I've seen so far. It's only fitting I welcome you with my 1,000th post!

I'm USAF myself, separated in 2005. I spent a few months in Rammstein back in 99, so perhaps we've been in some of the same squadron buildings/barracks.

Comment

I was stationed in Wiesbaden for 2 years. My brother was in stationed in Rammstein at the same time and I got to visit him often, so I did spend some time there. We did a lot of skiing and drinking back then.

Comment

Skiing and drinking...at the same time?

Comment

You bet!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here