Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Grill/Smoker Purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greasy
    commented on 's reply
    No I don't work for weber, I'm in Hawaii. I have just had great luck with Weber products and that is what I would look at if spending a G and a half. My Kettle with SNS and my WSM are all I need to make great que. They even come camping with me.

• jholmgren
    commented on 's reply
    That's my setup. Kamado Joe Classic next to a Weber Spirit gasser.

• Potkettleblack
    commented on 's reply
    Another vote for the Weber 330. I have the E-330, which is functionally the same as the S, but easier to keep looking nice and with junkier grill grates.

• gon4good20
    commented on 's reply
    Webber Kettle. Explanation was too long for comment so I posted full reply below.

• gon4good20
    replied
    Well it seems we have a similar background in BBQ. I also consider myself a fairly decent armature "chef" and I always used primarily gas grills up until a few years ago when I discovered this site and the versatility of a Webber Kettle. When I first visited AR.com I was drawn to all the equipment reviews (and recipes and science and...)and was eager to jump in and buy something really nice. Then it occurred to me that maybe I should just start with something basic and see how it goes. I settled on the Webber Kettle because it's simple, inexpensive and there seemed to be endless ways to use it. I figured if I could produce good quality results with it then maybe I was worthy of something pricier. Also, there are many modifications and aftermarket parts available such as the SNS. That paired with a good thermostat/temperature controller you can seemingly turn it into a set-it-and-[sort of]forget-it smoker.

I recently graduated to a Karubecue C-60 pit but unfortunately have not had the chance to take it for a spin. Ugh, life... If it interests you head over to https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...d-smokers/logs Lots of good testimonials about it there.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by gon4good20; June 17, 2016, 07:23 AM.

Leave a comment:

• billg71
    replied
    JeffCBBQ, think of the SCGC as a fully decked out BGE XL with some bonuses(they heat up and cool off faster) and the big table is included. It's not your granddad's charcoal grill by any means.

My only bitch is that there's no plain vanilla grate for it but your local BGE dealer can fix that for a paltry $90 with the XL stainless grate. Weber hasn't yet figured out that some of their customers don't have any use for the Gourmet system. Hopefully they will and I can finally get a grate with the flip-up sides and handles in stainless.

Everything is relative.....

Leave a comment:

• JeffCBBQ
    commented on 's reply
    Wow. Do u work for Weber? I bave considered it. Man seems expensive for charcoal but im sure its a fine grill. 2000 with a cart seems a bit much

• JeffCBBQ
    commented on 's reply
    Wow. Do u work for Weber? I bave comsidered it. Man seems expensive for charcoal but im sure its a fine grill. 2000 with a cart seems a bit much

• Greasy
    replied
    For that money I'd get a Weber Summit charcoal grill but I'm biased.
    I have a Weber 18.5 WSM, a 22.5 Weber kettle with an SNS and a smokenator, A weber Genisis Silver gasser and a Weber Spirit 320 gasser. I also have a Weber smokey Joe as well.

Leave a comment:

• JeffCBBQ
    commented on 's reply
    Ha, what is your advice???

• SoonerBQuer
    commented on 's reply
    Sounds like a nice setup gon4good20 . Just gives me more items to buy, haha.

• gon4good20
    replied
    Welcome JeffCBBQ! Wow $1200-$2000 budget, eh? So many choices... #firstworldproblems
    Last edited by gon4good20; June 16, 2016, 08:05 AM.

Leave a comment:

• gon4good20
    commented on 's reply
    You just described 2/3 of my setup minus the SnS SoonerBQuer!

• Black99vette
    commented on 's reply
    billg71, thanks! I kind of figured that was answer. I was looking at the Genesis S-330 as well. I have a friend from work who had a webber gasser for 20 years and used it 3 to 4 times a week year around. That isn't easy in Chicago. I agree, buy quality.

• billg71
    commented on 's reply
    (continued): I replaced it with the Genesis because I wanted more cooking space and the front-to-rear burners. If not for that, I'd still be cooking on it.

I've been in construction for over 40 years and if there's one thing I've learned it's that nothing is more expensive than a cheap tool.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here