Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Grill/Smoker Purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• billg71
    commented on 's reply
    Guest, I guess it just depends. I have a friend who has always bought a low-priced gasser with lots of burners from the big box stores, he spends $500-600 and after 4 or 5 years he tosses it off the deck and gets another. He swears his next gasser will be a Genesis, he's tired of buying grills. I cooked on a 3-burner Spirit for 7 years, replaced a few parts along the line and it still cooks great according to my sister-in-law.
    Last edited by billg71; June 15, 2016, 02:22 PM.

• vandy
    commented on 's reply
    You know I love my Lang, there is nothing like cooking with logs but I would just like to add a Kamado to my arsenal for smaller cooks like 1 slab of ribs or a few burgers or a couple of steaks. No way would I get rid of the Lang for the Komado Joe though.

• DWCowles
    replied
    Welcome JeffCBBQ The RecTec is a dang good cooker/smoker especially with a 6 year warranty. Haven't had no problems with mine in the 2+ years that I have had it.

Leave a comment:

• JeffCBBQ
    replied
    Alright I think I've narrowed it down to three choices. My thinking is...I can get a gas grill anytime and right now it would be convenient but nothing new or exciting. On the other end of the spectrum, I'm a total amateur at smoking so don't wanna go there yet with anything too dedicated. Though the Pit Barrel Cooker seems like a no brainer at some pt. With that said....I am thinking one of these three choices to start. Rec-Tec, PG500, or Primo Oval XL. I think I would be happy with either of those. Primo is clearly more work/learning curve, but man food from a ceramic is just damn good.

Leave a comment:

• BBQCentralShow
    commented on 's reply
    The PG1000 is also tremendous!

• Black99vette
    commented on 's reply
    I have been wanting to add a gasser. Was the Webber worth the price? I'm debating a low cost gas grill but I'm afraid it won't perform well and I'll end up with a Webber in the end.

• Beefchop
    commented on 's reply
    Ok, so offset (it looks like you have a Lang in your avatar) vs. a Kamado. Which one wins the battle?

• Mp3gus
    replied
    My 26" Weber Kettle with a Smokenator is my most versatile grill by far. I use that the most but I have a Traeger pellet smoker for the really long low cooks that I don't have time to sit around and babysit.

Leave a comment:

• JeffCBBQ
    replied
    Am a bit surprised no one mentioned the PG500, seems to be pretty versatile. Maybe too versatile?

Leave a comment:

• CandySueQ
    replied
    Buy a MAK one star and a 22" Weber Kettle with a Smoke N Sear. MAK is made just right up the road in Dallas, OR and they are truly the biggest innovator in the pellet grill manufacturing market. You'll even have some money left after buying this setup.

Leave a comment:

• sfrancis353
    replied
    If you are just cooking for your family, I agree with BBQCentralShow, go with a smaller pellet cooker such as the GMG Daniel Boone. Instead of a Pit Barrel, I'd go with the 22" WSM with a fan control (because again you want set and forget -- something like the Pitmaster IQ). I'd also then get a Weber Kettle with Propane assist for grilling with a SnS. This way you get the ease of starting the charcoal quickly and the taste of cooking on charcoal. You have also turned it into a multitasker that can produce amazing results. With propane assist I think you don't need the gasser and by not getting the gasser, you get the WSM and a nicer kettle for the same price.

With this set up you can cook for a family or an army.

GMG Daniel Boone - $550
    Weber 22.5' Performer - $400
    Slow and Sear - $90
    WSM 22.5' - $400
    Pitmaster IQ 120 - $200

And most importantly get a Thermapen - $80 (I know it says $99 bucks now, but they go on sale often and buy then)

You are all in and kicking butt at $1720. You also have a ton of different cooking options, a ton of set and forget, and the ability to cook different meats at different temps and different wood flavor profiles.
    Last edited by sfrancis353; June 14, 2016, 01:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

• BBQCentralShow
    replied
    Buy a Pit Barrel - $300
    Also Buy a Weber Gasser - $800
    Also Buy a Weber Kettle $200'ish
    Also Buy Pellet Cooker (Green Mountain Grills Daniel Boone is $550)

I think you might have a few hundy leftover buying all of these to boot!!

You are now set to conquer the BBQ/Grilling world with every option you need AND your wife won't think you're weird for feeding fires with an off-set...which doesn't make YOU weird...it might make HER a little weird...but not you!! ;-)

Leave a comment:

• JeffCBBQ
    replied
    Thanks everyone, very much appreciate it.
    Last edited by JeffCBBQ; June 13, 2016, 04:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JeffCBBQ
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks!

• Huskee
    replied
    Welcome to The Pit JeffCBBQ! Thanks for joining up with us. Choices, choices...it's never easy! I like Jerod's idea best I think. Or even the PBC and the 26" kettle plus the Slow 'N Sear XL for it. You will be in great BBQ shape with either option. A kamado cooker is a great option too. I realize I did not help your decision in the slightest. You are welcome

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here