Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from Seattle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Seattle

Longtime reader and have learned a lot from you guys. I'm from Alabama but have lived in Seattle almost 20 years. I think I'll fit in. I have not taken the time to build my profile, but I have two Weber gassers, a Weber Performance Kettle (1st gen), and a Green Mountain Grills Jim Bowie pellet grill. That last one is why I finally joined. And I need your help. I've been reading about digital thermometers. I received $100 for my 10th anniversary at work and it's time I quit using cheap thermometers from home stores. Here's where I need help. Meathead and others say the ThermaQ and MTC kit is the Lamborghini, but everyone also says the Thermapen MK4 is. I get the ThermaQ being a great tool, but is the Thermapen MK4 better than the MTC or vice versa? I have searched and searched and don't see this question, but please point me to a thread if it exists. Thanks for having me!!!

Welcome to The Pit Rollingsmoke! We're glad you're here. For $100 I'd get the maverick ET-732 and a Thermopop. Might even have a couple bucks left over!

Comment

Welcome Rollingsmoke

Comment

• Rollingsmoke
        Rollingsmoke commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you!

Thank you, sir! I was going to add to the work gift and my wife and daughters have agreed to let it be my Father's Day present. However, I have seen you and "Huskee" (sp?) as well as others recommend the Maverick. I have only seen a couple negative comments about them (probes I believe). I also thought about a ChefAlarm instead. The ThermaQ/MTC Meathead kit is on sale for $252, but I would have to wait on any other thermometer. The price of the Maverick is hard to argue with. I am curious why I don't see comments about the MTC. Plenty about the ThermaQ, and pens and pops and the Mavericks. I very much appreciate the fast response and help in what is turning into the hardest BBQ decision I've made!

Comment

Welcome aboard! I'm originally from Northern Alabama and left shortly after high school ... never really looked back.

Comment

Hey, MBMorgan! I'm from the top side as well. Lived in Athens, Decatur and Huntsville. Most of my family is still there, but I'm the same way. I joined the Navy and never went back except to visit a couple of times. Nice to meet you and thanks for the welcome!

Comment

• MBMorgan
            MBMorgan commented
            Editing a comment
            Born in B'ham and graduated HS in Huntsville (S.R. Butler) before joining the USAF. Like you, I've got family there but haven't visited often.

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

• Rollingsmoke
            Rollingsmoke commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you! Your posted responses to questions have been helpful at some point because I remember your name!

• LA Pork Butt
            LA Pork Butt commented
            Editing a comment
            Rollingsmoke Thanks. It is always good to know you have helped someone.

Rollingsmoke - welcome to The Pit and welcome to The Obsession!

Comment

• Rollingsmoke
            Rollingsmoke commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you!

Well, I am standing in Kitchen N Things in Seattle and they have the Thermapen and the MK4. Would have to pay tax and not get the sale price. Looks to me like the MTC is a little more versatile but I dig that the MK4's screen rotates. The Meathead kit is on sale for nearly $50 off and no tax from Thermoworks, and I get to buy it through your link (well, either one), so I'm going to wait until you guys make my mind up for me. I can't believe I waited so long to join! You guys rock!!!
          Last edited by Rollingsmoke; June 12, 2016, 10:23 AM. Reason: Translate from southernese!

Comment

I'm really loving my MK4. But I'm with Pit Boss. For $100 get a Maverick and Thermopop. I have a Thermopop, and they are great instant reads. They also have a backlit display which rotates. You have to push a button to rotate it, but it does rotate.
            ChefAlarms are great, but only have one probe.

Oh yeah, Welcome! 😎

Comment

• choffert
              choffert commented
              Editing a comment
              You can add different probe to the Chef Alarm, btw...

• Thunder77
              Thunder77 commented
              Editing a comment
              choffert, very true! I have about a gozillion probes for my ChefAlarm. I guess I should have said it only can use one probe at a time, so you can't monitor pit temp and meat temp simultaneously.

• choffert
              choffert commented
              Editing a comment
              I just switch inputs back and forth. Really don't need to watch IT too close til the end, stays with pit temp most of the time. The beauty is the Chef Alarm will tell me if I get high or low out of spec...

I may just listen to you guys (I see people saying they should have all the time), because about the Meathead kit, my wife said "$250? You can buy a whole grill for that! Isn't that overkill?" My problem is that in my 25 years of "grilling" I've had the cheapest of cheap until the last couple of years. I don't have the top of the line anything, and I was convinced the Meathead ThermaQ + MTC kit was it and the MK4 was that in the quick-and-easy handhelds. The more I read, the more I don't know!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Rollingsmoke! I agree with Pit Boss, the Maverick will be handy and the Thermopop is handy as well...the screen rotates with a button push, just not auto. I think that combo is the best bang for your buck. But I get that it's not an easy choice. The Mk4 is nice too because of the auto-rotate. I had only a ThermoPop as my instant read for about 2 years and never really needed the Thermapen, but it's nice now that I have it and I'll admit I use it more now than the Pop. I've never needed a Corvette either, but it'd sure be nice to have one and I'd probably drive it more than my Impala

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

• Rollingsmoke
                Rollingsmoke commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you very much! I'll do my homework!

• choffert
                choffert commented
                Editing a comment
                Good to see the teacher remembered to assign the homework, just as we were leaving...;-)

Welcome aboard Rollingsmoke. I'm all ThermoWorks (Thermapen, ChefAlarms & Dots). The Maverick and Thermopop are also great units. Let us know what you decide on. See you around The Pit!

Comment

Rollingsmoke, Just what fuzzydaddy and the others have said! The Maverick ET 732/733 are both dual Probe Thermometers that allow You to Monotor both Your Grill Temp and Food Temps Remotely, kind of handy on a Cold Winter Day, the Probe stay in the Grill and Food Start to Finish!
              The Thermapen is an instant read thermometer used to check for doneness! I have the older generation of the Thermopen the Classic, Spend the EXTRA BUCKS for the MK4 the rotating screen is worth it! IMHOP. πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
              Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

• Rollingsmoke
                Rollingsmoke commented
                Editing a comment
                I ordered my dad a Thermopop for Father's Day because he still believes he can "feel when it's done" and would think it an insult to give him an expensive thermometer. Somebody may or may not have said there might be an Independence Day sale for the MK4...I will wait for that and order a Maverick!

Since I have the all stars on here (and I think it is really freaking cool you guys welcome people), I am curious if we can order ANYthing on Amazon and support AR. My wife actually orders even our groceries on Amazon (we are in their HQ area, so it's big here) and we are putting someone at Amazon's kids through college. Is there a link that lets ANY purchase help AR? (So want to say our site, but don't feel I've earned that ability just yet!)

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here