Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New member from Sacramento area.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New member from Sacramento area.

Hello new guy here. Just purchased a 22.5 inch Weber, Maverick 733 thermometers, and Slow n Sear (SnS). Did my first pulled pork last week. The stall was a shock and hard to wait on. It turned out ok but dryer than I would like. Flavor was nice with the Memphis dust. Also got the Meathead book and I am looking forward to more BBQ adventures. Mitch

Welcome Mitchl

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Mitchl! We're glad you're here.

Comment

Mitchl Welcome to the Pit!! Great to have you.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit, Mitch! I spent quite a bit of time in and around Sacramento back in the 70's ... initially when based at McClellan AFB then a couple of years after my USAF days. I really miss the place ...

Comment

• oldsteve
            oldsteve commented
            Editing a comment
            'I was discharged from McClellan in Dec. of 69'. I still live in the area. Since McClellan was decommissioned many private companies have utilized parts of the old base. The US Coast Guard and Cal-Fire still use it for servicing and maintaining aircraft.

• MBMorgan
            MBMorgan commented
            Editing a comment
            oldsteve - I guess I just missed you. After basic and a year of tech school, I was based there from early '70 until discharge in mid '73. I was in the 1155th TOS (AFTAC) and worked in the McClellan Central Lab (MCL).

Welcome aboard Mitchl! You've got a great (and popular) setup with the Kettle, SnS and Maverick. Let us know if you have any questions. See you around The Pit.

Comment

@Mitchi what temp did you cook it at 225, 250, 275 or 300?

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
              LA Pork Butt commented
              Editing a comment
              @Mitchi wrapping as Huskee suggested could help. I don't usually wrap on my Kamado until after the cook and leave it in the faux cambro for a couple of hours or so before pulling. Did you faux cambro it?

• Mitchl
              Mitchl commented
              Editing a comment
              LA Pork Butt. No On the faux cambro I will have to look into how to make one. Should be on this site somewhere. Thanks.

• LA Pork Butt
              LA Pork Butt commented
              Editing a comment
              Mitchl Just use an ice chest. Double wrap the butt in foil. Put some old towels on the bottom and fill the rest of the space with old towels. You can keep hot before serving for 4-6 hours.

Welcome to the Pit Mitchl ! We're glad you're here.

Comment

@Mitchi - welcome to The Pit and welcome to The Obsession!

Comment

It's great to have you here Mitchl. Thank you for your support.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members. It contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

See you around The Pit!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Mitchl! Thanks for joining up with us. Did you wrap your pork butt or go nekkid the whole way? I know a lot of folks like to go unwrapped the whole cook but I have found the bark to be a little too dry for my tastes in so doing. I went back to wrapping after the stall, at about 175-180 IT, through the rest of the cook and the faux cambro hold and I love the results I get with that method.

Look forward to more from you.

Comment

• Mitchl
                    Mitchl commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeah I cooked unwrapped and it was a little too chewy. Good flavor though, just would like a more succulent pulled pork. I will have to check out the wrapping. So you wrap tightly in foil and continue to cook to 203 IT. Then faux cambro hold for how long? I don't know much about cambro and holding.

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Mitchl The "faux" (fake) Cambro is just a cooler. Lay the wrapped butt in & wrap more towels around it to take up as much of the space in the cooler as poss. which lets the butt hold heat w/o cooking further. 1-3hrs usually. Then shred. Save the juice in the foil to add back to meat.

@Mitch!, Welcome to The Pit! You have Just Enrolled in the BBQ Univ! Attendance is Mandatory! In My Humble Opinion You have brought equip to School with You! I have been using Weber Kettles for +-45Yrs! I currently a 22.5" W Performer Deluxe w/ Vortex Acc and an older Performer w/ S 'n S, a BBQGURU DigiQ-2 Temp Control and a SS Baffle (a 17.5"-18.25" Circle w/ 4.5" sheared from the edge). It lays on the coal grates opposite and up to The S 'n S so all incoming air from the Vent or Temp Control is directed up and through the Coals! By the Way keep your Hands In Your Pockets and Your Back to the Wall when getting advice from the "Two Moderators"
                  above πŸ‘πŸ˜‡ fuzzydaddy and Huskee πŸ˜‡πŸ‘!
                  Eat Well an Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan
                  Last edited by Danjohnston949; June 13, 2016, 02:24 AM.

Comment

Welcome to the pit, enjoy the Wikipedia of BBQ.

Comment

Hey all. Thanks for the welcomes and info. Sorry for slow reply. I am getting used to The Pitt interface and just now saw the messages on top on page. LA Pork Butt I was cooking my pulled pork at 225 most of the time. Huskee I will try the wrap method on my next shoulder. MBMorgan I live close to the other closed Air Force base Mather. I look forward to all your advice about my next cues. M

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here