Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smokin from MN intro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smokin from MN intro

Sitting around the brake table, coworkers are taking about "smoking" over the weekend. Loser's was my first thought, than someone mentioned meat.....ooooohhhhh. ok so I started listening as the days went by, than I started ask questions(first mistake). Next thing ya no Fridays the boss lets one of the guys use the shop smoker to make lunch for everyone. well that was pretty tastey I thought. Than, few months later I bought a GMG Daniel Boone pellet grill and got into the whole "smoking" game.
    That was 3 years ago...
    In three years I had one brisket come off the GMG that was great. the rest were 4-5out of 10.
    So I embarked on building my own offset. I looked into buying one from some of the top names, but by the time I shipped it to Minnesota, it was just too much for a backyard smoker like myself. So, I went googling to see about making one. After 2 months of gathering info and figuring what size I actually wanted, I set to Solidworks to design my smoker...Than I ordered steel, 3/16" thick rolled drum....majority of the pieces sheard to size...after three months in the garage and countless sweaty hours I built this!

Cook chamber: 48" length x 24" diameter 2 sst racks lower 23" x 42"
    Firebox: 20" x 20" x 20" cubed
    Jerky box 20x 17 x 24" 8 sst racks
    All steel is 3/16" thick, I did this instead of 1/4" to help reduce the overall weight. I intend on rolling into my truck and bringing it places. Everything you see here I made except the wheels and the stainless spiral handles. I got the hinge idea from watching Aaron Franklin hinge video on youtube.
    I have a bunch of pics ive taken while building my smoker but didn't want to overwhelm this post with a ton of photos.
    I use the maverick et732 and just received the iGrill2 with 4 meat probes and 2 temp probes. works good on htc8 phone and a older 7" tablet.
    Hickory and cherry woods are my preferred. only have one pork butt cook on it so far, currently doing a brisket as I type this up!.

Thanks for taking a look,

rmunsta24

Sweet set up, especially those advanced hinges!!

Many pit makers such as El Rey Smokers use 3/16"/7 gauge steel.

Comment

Very Nice setup! Great workmanship too! Welcome to the pit! Good to see a fellow Minnesotan with the passion for BBQ and Cooking.

Comment

That's a beautiful rig. Welcome to The Pit and welcome to The Obsession!

Comment

Nice work... and welcome aboard!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit rmunsta24! NICE RIG! I'm impressed, I hope you have many many years of happy and tasty memories with that! Thanks for joining up here with us and for sharing your pictures.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! Keep us posted as you progress.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit! That is a beautiful and well built smoker. If you would, post some pictures of the brisket when you get a chance. See you around The Pit.

Comment

Thanks guys for all the comments. I don't have any pics of the brisket as it didn't get done until 11 pm at night and I went to bed very quickly after that. but I will be doing much more smoking in the future and will add those pics.

Comment

rmunsta24, Welcome to The Pit! You are Now Enrolled in the BBQ Univ! Attendance is Mandatory! I don't believe you need any more Metal Fab or Welding Classes as judged by the Pics of Your Smoker!
                    πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
                    Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargp ND, Dan

Comment

Welcome rmunsta24

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!! Always good to have more Minnesotans in here!! Where a bouts are you from? rmunsta24

Comment

That looks amazing

Comment

Danjohnston949, well the welding on this one was bit more challenging since it was a 110 welder and my first with that type. Along with my garage not being properly wired to handle it. which is what extended the amount of time it took to build it. if I had had a plasma and a 220 welder I would have saved about 25% of the time. but I'm borrowing it from a friend...I just now owe him lots of BBQ lol.
                            and glad to have made admission into the university! although not a welder by trade, I have been a machinist in the machining trade for 18 years now. So, not sure if that qualifies me for anything but that's what I am.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
                              Danjohnston949 commented
                              Editing a comment
                              rmunsta24, That's the thing about having a Garage you never have Everthing! I do have a 220V Stick Welder and Gas Torch. I moved a 24'x28' Garage in, Rewired it Front to Back, W/110V@220V for the Old Welder, Insul, Salvage Knotty Pine on the Int. A/C & Furnace, Needs New Shingles @ Air C? Dan

Spinaker I'm on the north side of the cities, Fridley area.
                            Last edited by rmunsta24; June 19, 2016, 08:30 AM.

Comment

• Spinaker
                              Spinaker commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Cool man, I'm just west of the cites. Good to have you here. rmunsta24

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here