Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Father's Day present for myself - Weber Smoker or Slow'n'Sear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You have made the right choice. The SNS is boss. dbschoo

Comment

I had the same dilemma. I got a performer with sns and Auber controller. I don't regret it a bit. Pork shoulder, whole chicken, rack of ribs, burgers, steaks. It can do so many things so well. Only downside is capacity for large groups. For that I may get a PBC.

Comment

You made the right decision. I have both (22.5" Weber Performer, 18.5" WSM) and I bought a SnS late last year. So far this year my WSM still has the cover on it from last winter and I don't foresee it coming off unless I start feeling guilty about not using it. My experience has been that they both put out excellent results in roughly the same time with equal amounts of fuel. If you're like me and tend to go overboard with the wood, adding new chunks is infinitely easier with the SnS.

I'm by no means knocking the WSM, it's a great smoker but I just don't see a reason to use it anymore. Buy the SnS and spend the saved 200 bucks on your wife (LOL!) or some cool grill accessories.

Comment

richinlbrg it turns out that I lied. My wife "did not" get me the SnS for Father's Day. She was just throwing me off the scent. DERN!! Now she will give no hint at all. Errrr...... False alarm. Looks like I'll have to work it in another way. What ever it is it came off the AR site because I forwarded the email from AR as a hint to the SnS. I need to,know.......๐Ÿ˜ข๐Ÿ˜ข

Comment

• richinlbrg
            richinlbrg commented
            Editing a comment
            LOL

Kinda funny! Sort of.

Or maybe she did get it for you, and is now throwing you off.?.?

When is your b'day, HouseHomey ?

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            It's July 7. Awe..... Didn't think of that. richinlbrg

• richinlbrg
            richinlbrg commented
            Editing a comment
            Now your head is REALLY screwed up, eh?

My XL SnS arrived last week... but my family insisted on sticking a bow on the cardboard box and making me wait until Father's Day to open it. Damn it!

But well worth it so far... smoked some sausages and then reverse-seared some strip steaks for dinner last night (along w/ some shrimp and veggies) and did some chicken tonight. Next weekend ribs and/or brisket is on the menu!

Comment

My new kettle with S&S is just as effective and just as much fun to use as my BGE. The BGE will last longer, so it will still be my go-to for briskets and pork butts. But the kettle/S&S is effective, easy, and fun.

Comment

richinlbrg Well, I have to wait I guess. I knew my wife bought my gift from the AR email I forwarded to her. It was not the SnS but a new Maverick 732. Nice! I am now hinting for my birthday the SnS and she is ignoring me. However.... It's funny how she said "that thing is a hundred bucks!" How did she know that if she only bought me the 732 for Father's Day? AHAAA! Hmmm, I think some snooping is in order.

I'm with Mosca The Webern are a great amount of fun and ribeyeguy that it's a good decision and you save some bucks and what can I say, I like ribyeyes. And besides if you "load up" on the essentials for the kettle you can safely move on to the next thing when you are ready knowing that you got all you can out of the kettle. That's what I'm trying to do anyways. We just bought a new van and put on a roof so I'm shy about the extras these days.
              Last edited by HouseHomey; June 21, 2016, 06:30 AM. Reason: Spelling of course.

Comment

I currently have a 26 with the SnS and I am totally satisfied with the combo...except...except I am now wanting more cook space. The wife and I are empty nesters, but the flock keeps coming back to roost on the weekends, hence the need for more room. Can I get 5 slabs of ribs plus a couple of other items on the grill when smoking? Yes, but it is tight. Now I am looking at getting a dedicated smoker or an XL kamado to expand my arsenal (leaning more to the latter thanks to CeramicChef and Breadhead). While there is plenty of real estate on a 26, the more you start doing sides along with the main course you will soon realize that more space would be welcome. Plus, if you are like me you can't have enough toys. Enjoy the SnS dbschoo!

Comment

• MBMorgan
                  MBMorgan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The ceramics are awesome ... but if you're looking for the ability to cook up to 8 racks at once (or 5 + 3 other things) then the Pit Barrel Cooker might also be an option.

• Craigar
                  Craigar commented
                  Editing a comment
                  MBMorgan I have considered the PBC, but really have my heart set on a KJBJ.

Craigar ...

The "More Cooker's Syndrome" is a Pit club affliction that develops slowly right after joining the Pit community.๐Ÿ™ˆ There is No, Zero, Zilch known cure or 12 step program to rehab it either.๐Ÿ˜ณ

Obviously you are in the advanced stage of this syndrome and you are trying to decides what cooker will satisfy this deep need/desire to acquire more equipment for your corral of cookers.

Trust me... Whichever you decide on will only be a temporary fix.รฐลธหœย You will be able to relax for a while, while you are taming your new cooker and learning to use it to its fullest capability. Case history dictates that as soon as you've mastered the new cooker this evil syndrome will reactivate and the cycle will start again.๐Ÿ˜ก

The extremely afflicted start acquiring storage sheds, expanding patio space, building bigger decks, lying to their wives, missing days at work when they hit a double stall. I'm telling you it's a serious situation.๐Ÿ˜ณ

Now that you have been professionally diagnosed... It doesn't really matter what type of cooker you buy now, the others will follow when your affliction reactivates.๐Ÿ˜†

I think you will enjoy learning to use a Kamado to its fullest capability... Which entails a lot more than grilling and BBQ. Think pizza & bread baking. Think woking killer Chinese food. Think baking your wife's, kids, and grandkids birthday cakes in your new outdoor oven, that is better than your kitchen oven. They will ALL feel special because you made them the best birthday EVER, on your outdoor oven. Think about having a smoker that you can perform a 16 hour brisket or pork butt cook on "without ever lifting the dome" to check on it and spending half of that time getting your beauty sleep.

One other hidden advantage of selecting a Kamado when you know you have advanced MCS is it will take you years to really understand it enough to feel like you've really tamed it. Your MCS could actually go into remission and you would save a fortune.๐Ÿ˜† No sheds, no new deck, no need to lie to your wife... We're talking protecting your integrity and saving big bucks Sir.๐Ÿ‘

No charge on the diagnosis by the way. This ones on the house.๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ‘
                Last edited by Breadhead; June 21, 2016, 04:04 PM.

Comment

• PBCDad
                  PBCDad commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I knew there had to be a name for it! My wife may petition the pharmaceuticals to develop a drug to treat it, that may be the cheaper way out

• Craigar
                  Craigar commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hahaha!!! So true! As far as expanding the patio goes, my wife has been making suggestions on how we "need" to expand so we can have somewhat of an outdoor kitchen. Then she reminds me "after" the new fridge. So I have that going for me.

• Breadhead
                  Breadhead commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Your wife has drank the kool-aid.๐Ÿ˜† She has become your enabler. You won't have to lie to her about acquiring gear.๐Ÿ‘

Once upon a time I told my wife that if she would let me splurge on a Hasty-Bake Gourmet that would be the only cooker/grill that I would ever need. Which she did. But then there was the set of high end grill utensils. Then a Maverick ET-732 and a Thermapen. The patio cover to go over the Hasty-Bake. The patio cooler for beer and wine. And this Father's Day she finally gave in and got me a 22.5" WSM .... It's only a matter of time until there is no room on the patio because of all my gear :-D That said .... The Hasty-Bake is an amazing do anything rig which I have decided to complement with a dedicated smoker. Also, it didn't seem to make sense, to me, to have a smoker that was smaller than the Hasty-Bake. I've done 3 10 pound pork butts on there. Which is why the 22.5 WSM .... Christmas will be done entirely outside. Turkey and ham on the WSM and rib roast on the Hasty-Bake. I don't really have any good advice on Weber plus SnS vs. WSM. I have started using the WSM and love it, for what that's worth.
                Last edited by ecowper; June 21, 2016, 01:54 PM.

Comment

• PBCDad
                  PBCDad commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Breadhead I'm not asking, she may just take the initiative herself if I keep talking about the next thing I need to get

• ecowper
                  ecowper commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Breadhead .... No known cure, but you can hold the shakes at bay for a little while by getting a new tool or gadget. That usually takes care of me for a month, or so.

My wife actually said that I might need a storage shed for my gear

• Breadhead
                  Breadhead commented
                  Editing a comment
                  PBCDad ... I see.๐Ÿ˜† At least you have a perceptive wife that has diagnosed your affliction on her own. Does she have MSS by chance? That would be I need "More Shoe's Syndrome". That one is a mostly female affliction.

ecowper ... Yes, gadgets are Short term fix. Even just buying a new charcoal starter will give a MCS patient a rush.
                You probably make it a point to cruise the BBQ department in ALL Big Box stores you enter, even though you are there for goods not related to BBQ too, right? You go to the store to buy gardening tools and leave with a $100 of BBQ supplies.๐Ÿ˜‚ That's definitely part of the MCS affliction.๐Ÿ˜

Comment

Breadhead I've come back from the hardware store with a bag of lump that I want to try out and forgotten to get what I originally went to get in the first place. My wife has bought 8-10 new cookie sheets because I have "stolen" hers

Comment

• Craigar
                    Craigar commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Not to mention a cake pan or two and a couple of loaf pans.

• ecowper
                    ecowper commented
                    Editing a comment
                    All sorts of kitchen utensils have become BBQ utensils, for sure.

• Breadhead
                    Breadhead commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I steal Scary Mary's stuff too.๐Ÿ˜†

Hey Moderator guys .... Maybe we need a section of the Pit to address MCS

Comment

Originally posted by ecowper View Post
                    Breadhead I've come back from the hardware store with a bag of lump that I want to try out and forgotten to get what I originally went to get in the first place. My wife has bought 8-10 new cookie sheets because I have "stolen" hers
                    ๐Ÿ‘Œ that's a classic MCS symptom for sure. I've committed that act numerous times.๐Ÿ™ˆ Hide your Thermapen! She will steal it for sure as payback for her cookie sheets.๐Ÿ˜Ž
                    Last edited by Breadhead; June 22, 2016, 08:59 AM.

Comment

• ecowper
                      ecowper commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It's not stealing if I turn out some delicious tri-tip, is it?

• Breadhead
                      Breadhead commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Absolutely not! Your wife will bow down and thank you for stealing her gadgets if you make her taste buds dance.๐Ÿ˜Ž I think.๐Ÿค”

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here