Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Guy from the Detroit Area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Guy from the Detroit Area

Where to start...let's see...I've been grilling for a long time, but pretty much as an alternate means of cooking meals to give my wife a break. Several years back my father-in-law passed away, and as my mother-in-law was cleaning out his stuff, she came across a small Brinkmann bullet smoker he had received as a gift but had never used. I had commented a few times that I wanted to try my hand at smoking so she gave it to me.

Over the past few years I pretty much dabbled at it, doing things like turkey legs for Thanksgiving, racks of ribs a few times during the summer, the occasional pork butt, and some salmon. It all came out pretty good, but I was just researching what I needed to do whenever I got the urge, but never took it all that seriously.

Last August my wife passed away after a lengthy battle with cancer, and I decided to get more into smoking and grilling, as I was now responsible for feeding my three boys and myself. I found the prep work and all the tending and associated duties to be quite cathartic, and soon was smoking something in the Brinkmann once or twice a week, along with gaining experience on the grill with more than just burgers, dogs and steaks. It was around that time that I discovered AR.

This spring I decided it was time to take everything up a notch, so AR became an obsession as I decided what direction I wanted to take with my purchases. in the past month and a half, I've added Grill Grates to my gasser, bought a PBC, and cleaned the dust and cobwebs off a small kamodo that my parents had for 40+ years but had only used once or twice (my mom was happy to get it out of her place).

Oh, and I joined AR.

I've fallen in love with the PBC...I basically lived by the thing over the Memorial Day Holiday. Below are some pics of some of my PBC accomplishments that weekend.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PBC Smoking.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	178118
    The PBC smoking with the lonely Brinkmann off in the distance.

Name:	Leg of Lamb.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	178117
    A boneless leg of lamb done in the PBC.

Name:	Pork Spare Ribs.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	178119
    Pork Spare Ribs.

Name:	Smoked Chicken.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	178120
    And finally, smoked chicken.

Looking forward to learning a whole lot more from all the experienced gurus here. Sorry I went on so long....

Dennis
    Last edited by cidbearit; June 8, 2016, 03:03 PM. Reason: Tried to insert pictures without atachments, but lost them and had to reload them. Guess I have some learning to do with the forum.

Welcome cidbearit

Comment

cidbearit Looks Great!! That Chicken is spot on brother!! Welcome to the Pit. and the PBC brethren.

Comment

Welcome aboard ... and to the PBC community! From the looks of your pics, you're likely to be giving more advice than receiving ...

Comment

cidbearit - welcome to The Pit and welcome to The Obsession!

Beautiful cooks! Kudos.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit Dennis ! Everything I see in the pics look awesome! You may have found it already, but there is a PBC forum in the Grills and Smokers / Charcoal section of the Pit. I use a WSM myself, but may someday graduate to a PBC.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit cidbearit! Greetings to & from a fellow Michigander. I'm sorry to read about the terrible tragedy in your life, but we're all happy you're here with us. Those boys will def. have some great memories of their dad and his BBQ. Keep up the great work.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Welcome fellow Michigander! Fantastic looking cooks! You will find great camaraderie and advice here, enjoy!
                Last edited by Mickeylou5; June 8, 2016, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Welcome aboard cidbearit. Sorry to hear about your loses. Thanks for the good introduction and posting some food pictures. Looks and sounds like you're quite good at grilling and smoking. See you around The Pit!

Comment

Welcome to the wisdom of the Pit!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Dennis. Looks like you're getting really good on the PBC. May have to fire mine up this afternoon!

Comment

Great first post. i am sorry to hear about your loss. Those are never easy.

Congratulations on the New PBC and the AR membership. We are happy to have you. I am looking forward to seeing your posts and pictures.

cidbearit Thank You for the support.

And I have to ask.....is this name a play on the original Syd Barrett of Pink Floyd fame?

Comment

• LangInGibsonia
                          LangInGibsonia commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Judging by his signature, I'm going to guess, yes! Good eye!

• Spinaker
                          Spinaker commented
                          Editing a comment
                          ahhhhhh. Good call. What a great name. Also my favorite band of all time! cidbearit LangInGibsonia

• cidbearit
                          cidbearit commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yes, it is indeed a play on Syd Barrett. It's a moniker I created when I was part of an old Pink Floyd mailing list in the mid-90's. Good catch...not many make make that connection!

Welcome cidbearit. Very sorry to hear about your loses.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here