Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoking in NC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoking in NC

I have been smoking things for quite a few years now! Here in the Carolinas BBQ is very serious business and I have found your site to be loaded with a lot of well organized and very useful information. Please keep up the good work!
    I started smoking on a Weber water smoker over 20 years ago mainly doing chickens and a turkey or two for family get togethers. After a couple of years a local Lowes was closing out their Brinkman Pitmasters for the season at a price I could not pass up! So we moved into ribs and got started on butts. Worked on improving my techniques, rubs, temperature, time etc. till things came out pretty good. At one time butts were almost taking 22 hours to reach perfection. I now have it down to about 17!
    My son came to me and asked if I could do some butts for a hospitality suite at the High School for a wrestling tournament he was hosting (He was the coach). We figured about 6 butts should be enough, it was, but just barely. Several people came by an asked where my restaurant was at, as they wanted more. The next year was 8 butts, which was too many for the Brinkman, so I then designed and built my own cabinet smoker. By this time we are up to 20+ butts. We would pull off the smoker about 6am, wrap in foil and transfer to the site in coolers. As the smell would permeate the school everyone knew that the BBQ had arrived. Several of the people would say they only came for the BBQ and would stay for the wrestling!
    I have tried smoking many other things with great success, beans, wings, Tri-tip, briskets, Bacon this year, and soon to do some more bacon and a ham or two!
    My wife has allowed me to indulge myself with a new Lang, and I am looking forward to checking it out for the upcoming holidays.
    I think next weekend we are going to try and attend an event in Salisbury NC, 70+ teams competing. I am going to see if that is something I want to try my hand at. If any of you can offer any advice on that it would be appreciated.
    I have been working on a BBQ sauce style that embodies all of the NC profiles. It starts of in the mountains with a slightly sweet hit on the tongue, moves across the Piedmont with a spicier tang and finishes on the coast with a hit of heat and vinegar!
    I will keep you posted on my adventures! Thanks for listening.

Welcome! Looking forward to some NC recipes and tips.

Comment

Welcome NC BBQ Maven! Glad to have an experienced gent such as yourself here, and thanks for the support. Kudos on the Lang too, that's a nice machine. Color me jealous of the wheeled unit, mine's not so mobile.

When you get a minute, head over to Pit Boss' Welcome & Announcements channel if you haven't already....and check out the tips posts in that channel. These will help you learn the best way to post some nice big bragging pictures of your arsenal of gear for all of us to enjoy. Have fun!

Oh...and we have a recipe section too should you decide to share your BBQ sauce....

Comment

Hello NC, Welcome.

Comment

Welcome NC! Nice to have another NC'er in the forum, we're getting some good representation. I live in Raleigh, wrestled in high school. If any of your catered events find their mark around here let me know!

Comment

• NC BBQ Maven
            NC BBQ Maven commented
            Editing a comment
            My sons both wrestled at Cary, and my older son was the wrestling coach at Knightdale for several years 2006-2012? Where we did the catering

• Flavorsavor
            Flavorsavor commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh, no joke. I wrestled for Enloe 2002-3, small world!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here